PDA

View Full Version : Comming to an end

Abyss
09-28-08, 02:55 PM
It looks like my journey to becoming a Marine is coming to a swift end. I went to a Doc and had a Pulmonary Function Test, and I failed. After 15 minuted of exercise, I lost 27% of my lung function. As far as I know, my exercise induced asthma is an immediate DQ. I was told I could conceal it from MEPS and get in, but lying is not the way to do it. I would be a risk to the men and women beside me, and that is the last thing I would want. I would rather not be able to join the Corps than put the life of someone at risk. I have other plans, I am going to try to get into the LAPD and serve faithfully to the American people. Thank you Marines for making this site, it is a great resource and great motivation for past, present and future Marines. :beer:

SS109
09-28-08, 03:00 PM
So sorry to hear it Abyss, you're a cool kid. Maybe try swimming and running sprints and re try that thing? Anyways, good luck with the LAPD, that's an honorable duty as well.

-Poolee Tom

Abyss
09-28-08, 03:32 PM
So sorry to hear it Abyss, you're a cool kid. Maybe try swimming and running sprints and re try that thing? Anyways, good luck with the LAPD, that's an honorable duty as well.

-Poolee Tom

I did three months of track and field without improvement. Thank you for the good wishes, good luck to you as well.

TMM54
09-28-08, 03:44 PM
Go see a chiropractor, get examined, get adjusted, and then try your test again and see the difference.
Best thoughts, Tom

degenerate138
09-28-08, 03:51 PM
That is too bad Abyss, I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck to you in the future.

Be well.

Abyss
09-28-08, 03:55 PM
Go see a chiropractor, get examined, get adjusted, and then try your test again and see the difference.
Best thoughts, Tom

Sir, the reason I will be DQ'ed is for exercise induced asthma, I don't mean to argue, but how will a chiropractor help?

AaronJM1984
09-28-08, 04:05 PM
Sorry to hear your bad news.

ecfree
09-28-08, 04:52 PM
Hey Joe,sorry to hear of your comlications.
Hope you have better luck in the future..:thumbup:

DGardner
09-28-08, 05:53 PM
Dude, your one moto son of a gun, I have no doubts that you will excel in whatever you want to do.

Keep us all updated, OK?

-Gardner

gnarkill04
09-28-08, 06:02 PM
Also sorry to hear that. You would have been a great addition to the Corps. from how moto your story seems. You'll do great as a police officer too. Keep your head up.

Abyss
09-28-08, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone, I was pretty beaten up when I first learned about it, But I overcame and found a solution. Again, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Abyss

e5betts
09-28-08, 07:50 PM
As far as I'm concerned you already earned the title U.S. Marine. You have the guts, the courage and the pride it takes to become a leatherneck. That's more than some of these youngsters ever do. Have a good evening Marine..........

Semper Fi

Abyss
09-28-08, 08:19 PM
As far as I'm concerned you already earned the title U.S. Marine. You have the guts, the courage and the pride it takes to become a leatherneck. That's more than some of these youngsters ever do. Have a good evening Marine..........

Semper Fi

Sgt., I could never take that title. Though I will never be able to earn the title Marine, there is another title I am going for and that is the title of Police Officer.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-28-08, 09:55 PM
Abyss, the suggestion of seeing a chiropractor isn't all bad. I won't go into all of the mechanics, but there is a possibility that an adjustment would allow your lungs to work to their capacity, which may be good enough to get you through the test. I would change the suggestion slightly and recommend seeing a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O) that practices Osteopathic Manipulation.

There is a D.O. on Oneida St. If you're interested, give him a call. If not, then I believe you've set a worthy goal for yourself. I don't know why you picked LAPD, but I suppose it is as good as any other place.

Abyss
09-28-08, 10:03 PM
Sir, I will take your advice and give this person a call. I just took the test, so I don't know if they would allow me to take another. The reason I chose the LAPD is because I come from a small town, but I don't want to be a small-town cop.

Abyss, the suggestion of seeing a chiropractor isn't all bad. I won't go into all of the mechanics, but there is a possibility that an adjustment would allow your lungs to work to their capacity, which may be good enough to get you through the test. I would change the suggestion slightly and recommend seeing a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O) that practices Osteopathic Manipulation.

There is a D.O. on Oneida St. If you're interested, give him a call. If not, then I believe you've set a worthy goal for yourself. I don't know why you picked LAPD, but I suppose it is as good as any other place.

Marine84
09-28-08, 10:09 PM
how will a chiropractor help?

It's all connected sweetie. I used to be the same about chiropractors but, I love the hell out mine.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-28-08, 11:59 PM
I just read what I wrote earlier. Let me say that I'm not at all opposed to the LAPD. I have two friends that are there right now. (Funny how Pendleton Marines end up there and LA County Sheriff's office.) I just thought it was a little different seeing as where you live now. I'd have guessed Chicago or something would have been your choice.

For what it is worth, if it were me I'd pick San Diego- from what I've been told they tend to love life.

Abyss
09-29-08, 09:09 PM
The LAPD is were I would want to start. If I didn't like it, I would try getting a job somewhere else. I don't want to go to Chicago, that is a nasty city.

USMCMason
09-30-08, 12:03 AM
Chicago sucks, I'm about 50 miles away and I can still smell it.

I was permanently disqualified for military service when I was 17 because I had some pretty serious shoulder issues. I've had 2 surgeries in the past 6 years and here I am. I've been in for about a year now, just picked up LCpl, and I'll be 30 next month.

My point is... Don't give up on it if it's your dream!

Sgt Leprechaun
09-30-08, 07:13 AM
Agreed. See the Chiro first and see what happens. It's worth a shot to try, and you'll always wonder if you don't.

Also, if this is excercised induced asthma, you'd better double check the LAPD program, it's physically intense, and you'll need to pass a physical to get into the recruit academy. It might knock you out of contention, so see the doc to see what you can do.

Abyss
10-04-08, 11:37 AM
Agreed. See the Chiro first and see what happens. It's worth a shot to try, and you'll always wonder if you don't.

Also, if this is excercised induced asthma, you'd better double check the LAPD program, it's physically intense, and you'll need to pass a physical to get into the recruit academy. It might knock you out of contention, so see the doc to see what you can do.

The PT isn't a problem. I can knock it out right now, without medication. They only thing that may stop me from my dream is the word "asthma" on my medical record.

jrhd97
10-04-08, 12:08 PM
Good Luck! Your decision speaks of character many men twice your age don't have.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-08-08, 12:21 PM
True. And, that word on your record these days will haunt you until you can prove otherwise. Real PIA.