PDA

View Full Version : Prior Service Navy, Joining Marines

Sprensah
09-28-08, 02:24 PM
I served 5 years in the Navy, and was recently honorably discharged with an RE-1 reentry code. I am in the process of joining the Marines, I still have yet to get a ship date as when I will be going...

DOWORK1
09-28-08, 02:47 PM
This should not really be a concern. Just focus on becoming a Marine and not how the DI is going to treat you. Your going to catch hell either way

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-28-08, 05:41 PM
Our company honor man had been in the Navy. Other than a few jokes directed at him it wasn't a big deal.

Newski45
09-28-08, 05:53 PM
We had an ex-Navy Corpsman in our platoon and he was treated just as everyone else.

BR34
09-28-08, 06:11 PM
Fill out your profile.

There was recently a prior Soldier that graduated from Marine Corps boot camp. Go through a couple pages and you'll find some info you're looking for.

UsmcMotorT
09-29-08, 09:20 PM
There was a prior DEP Soldier in my platoon. He was singled out a million times.

HAVE FUN!

Sgt Leprechaun
09-30-08, 07:16 AM
It won't be that big of an issue, in my opinion. It will certainly give you more insight, and understanding, as to why things are done, and your prior service will give you a maturity that many will lack.

Don't expect the DI's to make it easy for you, but it won't be like you are coming from the army; you already know naval terms, you've served with Marines, and you have a head start on you 'knowledge'.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

AL49BGN
09-30-08, 02:15 PM
I went through Boot Camp with a prior Army recruit and he was treated no differently.Good Luck!!!

Pete0331
09-30-08, 02:28 PM
There was a prior DEP Soldier in my platoon. He was singled out a million times.

HAVE FUN!

There was a former soldier who was Airbourne qualed in my company at SOI.
He caught hell for those jump wings.

temarti
09-30-08, 02:41 PM
We had a former AF NCO in bootcamp, he was pushed at the beginning, however he became our guide and was good to go.

OB MSG
09-30-08, 03:33 PM
When I went through we had a former Air Force ROTC Cadet in my Platoon. When we stood a Series Commanders Inspection he responded thusly to a question, "This Cadet..."
You could have heard a pin drop. Then the Capt got into him a bit, but when he left the DIs tore him apart. It was great.

The moral of this story: Think before you speak.

You have the lay of the lingo, but just be careful and you will be fine.

ggyoung
09-30-08, 06:44 PM
There was a Corpman who was with Ist or 3ed force recon in Vietnam who end up leading patrols who finally ended up a Marine Officer. I can't remember his name. Maybe Nollen?

Integrity57
09-30-08, 08:35 PM
I recently read about a Navy Seal who was an FMF Corpsman with a Marine Recon platoon and then a team leader with Force Recon before going to BUD/S and earning his Trident. And a couple months back I saw I saw a PFC sitting infront of the galley here at NAS P-Cola with about 4 rows of ribbons on his Charlies who I later found out was prior Army.

SgtThrasher
09-30-08, 08:42 PM
There was a Corpman who was with Ist or 3ed force recon in Vietnam who end up leading patrols who finally ended up a Marine Officer. I can't remember his name. Maybe Nollen?

Hey G.G,you're forgetting our old buddy Jose Prieto @ 29 Palms who was prior service Army.I can't recall any comments
about his boot camp treatment.:iwo:

davblay
10-01-08, 10:20 AM
I recently read about a Navy Seal who was an FMF Corpsman with a Marine Recon platoon and then a team leader with Force Recon before going to BUD/S and earning his Trident. And a couple months back I saw I saw a PFC sitting infront of the galley here at NAS P-Cola with about 4 rows of ribbons on his Charlies who I later found out was prior Army.

We had a 8 year Army Veteran (a SSgt, E-6) with two tours in the Nam in our platoon. No one knew it and he was treated like everyone else. On graduation day our three DIs, with a total of 11 ribbons between them all, looked like boots next this guy, two Bronze Stars w/V, three Purple Hearts and all the other Army stuff, for a total of 28 ribbons. Made the General do a double take when we marched in review! Of course he was PFC, but he was not our honor man, he spent a lot of time helping other recruits along the way.

I ran into him 9 months later in the Nam, he was a Sgt (E-5). Deffinately the Corps' gain!

So unless you have a big tattoo that the others guys can see, you should be fine and expect no harder experiences.

Dave

ggyoung
10-01-08, 11:29 AM
Hey G.G,you're forgetting our old buddy Jose Prieto @ 29 Palms who was prior service Army.I can't recall any comments
about his boot camp treatment.:iwo:

OMG how could I forget our "Joe Black"? Jose Prieto was one of the old snuffs who stayed a snuffie. This guy had 6 years in the Army and 4years Marine then back into to Army. I know for a fack that in 10 years and 6 months he never got above E-3. They would have his promotion papers to Cpl. all made out then the day would come to be promoted he was UA. 10 years a L/Cpl. He retired a E-6 out of the Army.