PDA

View Full Version : Camp provides hunting opportunity for disabled veterans

thedrifter
09-28-08, 08:59 AM
Camp provides hunting opportunity for disabled veterans

By John Winkelman
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:15 AM CDT

Marine PFC Christopher N. White was killed by an Improvised Explosive Device on June 20, 2006, in Al Anbar Province. His father William "Mike" White chose to honor his son's memory by purchasing property near Farmington to allow wounded veterans the opportunity to enjoy hunting and the great outdoors.

"Christopher was my hunting buddy, and he always wanted to help other people," Mike White said.

White grew up in Valles Mines so he knew about the outdoors opportunities in the area. The 180-acre Chris Neal Farm is home to Camp Hope and provides hunting opportunities to disabled veterans. Thirteen injured soldiers have participated in fall deer and spring turkey hunting on the farm, and all 12 spots are filled for this fall.The current base camp is a three-bedroom, two-bath modular home, but the goal for Camp Hope is to build a lodge. The plans, for a facility that can be expanded by adding pods on each wing, have been designed and donated.

"We are on our way to raising the money to get it built, thanks to the support of many local residents including Eddie Boyer of DeSoto who founded Friends of Camp Hope," Mike White said.

Lt. Col. Boyer served a tour of duty in Iraq with the Army National Guard. He also served as a greeter for the first veterans to stay at Camp Hope.

"The sacrifice they gave for our freedom was physically evident, but the atmosphere and excitement of Camp Hope brought a new light to this day," Boyer said, in testimonial for the organization.

In addition to hunting and the outdoors, the opportunity to share a new experience with others who have survived similar life-threatening experiences helps the healing, said Mike White, who served 12 years in the US Army and currently works as a civilian employee for the military.

"For all of my experience, until I have been in their shoes I'll never know what they have been through," White said. "The greatest reward is when I get a phone call or letter from a parent or spouse saying thank you for what you have done for my son or husband."

One of the first hunters was Capt. Joe Bogart, who lost an eye to an explosion and is legally blind in the other eye. He recently returned to Iraq where he has been relegated to desk duty. He sent White an e-mail expressing his regrets that he wouldn't be in the US during the upcoming hunting season.

"I know you think I gave enough, but I need to come back," Bogart wrote. "I need to finish it. Camp Hope set me up for success, helped me heal, and I can never repay that. I am looking forward to the '09 season."

Camp Hope is a 501(c)3 non profit corporation and accepts donations of any kind.

"We are always looking for volunteers, but our main focus is trying to raise money to build the lodge," White said. For more information visit www.chrisnealfarm.com, or write to Camp Hope, PO Box 52, Farmington, MO 63640.

Chris Neal White joined the US Marine Corps in May 2005 and was deployed to Iraq in January 2006. On June 20, 2006, an IED exploded under his Humvee killing Chris and three other Marines. His memory is honored on 180 acres and in the hearts of other healing heroes.

Ellie