PDA

View Full Version : On the same team

thedrifter
09-28-08, 07:04 AM
On the same team
Soldier rescues drowning leathernecks

Posted : Saturday Sep 27, 2008 7:45:14 EDT

Marines and soldiers have a well-documented rivalry, but when lives are in danger, they know to drop the Hooah-versus-Oorah mentality.

For his daring rescue of two drowning Marines last year in Afghanistan, Spc. Beau Jordan, a 22-year-old squad automatic weapon gunner with the Oklahoma National Guard’s 1-180th Infantry Battalion, has been awarded the Soldier’s Medal, which honors heroism in the face of danger.

On the night of March 15, 2007, Cpls. Robert Stoecker and Joshua Kilzer, both with 3rd Marine Division, led a unit of Afghan soldiers across the Alishang River in Denlam province, while Jordan and a Navy corpsman, Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeremy Hoyer, provided cover on the bank above.

Heavy rains the night before swelled the river to chest level. The two Marines were halfway back when Jordan saw Kilzer’s red headlamp start to roll. He plunged into the river and pulled him back to shore.

When Stoecker went under, Jordan jumped back in the river and dragged him to safety, too.

A lifeguard and scuba diver since his teens, Jordan was turned away when he tried to enlist in the Corps, he said, because a car accident had required him to undergo facial reconstructive surgery. He said the National Guard was the only service that would take him.

Jordan said he loves the Marines and the troops with whom he served — and he’s fairly certain the feeling is mutual.

“I’m sure if I was in danger there would be a Marine to save me.”

Ellie