PDA

View Full Version : Dad's Room

Corpspapa
09-28-08, 01:28 AM
New Dad, Long-time Dad, Uncle, older Brother, or male legal gaurdian of a Marine? Then, this is the place.

From Poolee to Deployment, from BBQ-ing to Sports, this is the place.

I'll get the ball rolling with my introduction. New member, long-time message board user. My son graduated boot a little over a year ago. Currently on his first deployment. And I've been dropping rubber nickles ever since he left.

Glad I found this site. Any topic, any subject, within moderator limits, of course.

DevsDad
09-29-08, 08:47 AM
Welcome aboard Bill, always nice to have another Dad around. Please know that there are many prayers going up for the 2/7! Been a rough deployment for the guys for sure but they are kickin A$$ and Takin names!

jinelson
09-29-08, 09:02 AM
Welcome aboard Dad! Many of our members are with 2/7 and those that volunteered as combat replacements for 2/7. You are among family here.

Jim

Troutzilla
09-29-08, 07:40 PM
New Dad, Long-time Dad, Uncle, older Brother, or male legal gaurdian of a Marine? Then, this is the place.

From Poolee to Deployment, from BBQ-ing to Sports, this is the place.

I'll get the ball rolling with my introduction. New member, long-time message board user. My son graduated boot a little over a year ago. Currently on his first deployment. And I've been dropping rubber nickles ever since he left.

Glad I found this site. Any topic, any subject, within moderator limits, of course.

Great attitude Corpspapa...we are all praying for a safe return of the 7th

ScottsMom
09-30-08, 11:52 AM
Welcome!

Corpspapa
09-30-08, 07:20 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome(s). Glad to meet you. I've been looking around, and was really glad to see a parent's forum here. To clarify my handle, I'm a papa of a Marine, not the other way around. I see that Jim and Troutzilla are former Marines, and my hat is off to you in salute. I reckon that DevsDad and ScottsMom are in the same boat I'm in. Although, I did do 13 years in the Air Force, but it is a whole completely different story with a Marine son/daughter.

yellowwing
09-30-08, 07:41 PM
Welcome Aboard! This year we've had many Moms and Dads of Marines step up. Good to see another!

jrhd97
09-30-08, 08:37 PM
Welcome! Thanks for your service and support. We have them in our prayers.

Corpspapa
10-02-08, 07:20 AM
Welcome aboard Bill, always nice to have another Dad around. Please know that there are many prayers going up for the 2/7! Been a rough deployment for the guys for sure but they are kickin A$$ and Takin names!
Welcome aboard Dad! Many of our members are with 2/7 and those that volunteered as combat replacements for 2/7. You are among family here.Jim
Great attitude Corpspapa...we are all praying for a safe return of the 7th
Welcome! Thanks for your service and support. We have them in our prayers.Thank you, all. Yes, the 2/7th have had a very tough road, in very austere conditions. They, and the 24th MEU & 1/6th, have performed their mission with the upmost professionalism and dedication. This is my son's first trip to 'the party,' but from what I gather, it has been the toughest for the 2/7th in a very long time.

I appreciate your prayers, and will repay in kind.

God Bless The Corps!

Wardey
10-02-08, 07:46 AM
God Bless and welcome. Dave

marinemama
10-02-08, 03:00 PM
Welcome!

You have my prayers too.

Corpspapa
10-05-08, 10:58 PM
God Bless and welcome. DaveThank you, fellow, Dad.

Welcome!

You have my prayers too.And thank you, MoM of 2 marines.

Corpspapa
10-05-08, 11:00 PM
I got an e-mail the other day. Son says he wants us to bring him some 'civies.' Says his stuff will be locked up when he gets back. I understand the reason for this, but will he be allowed to go to his barracks room after homecoming? (1st time deployed Dad)

PaidinBlood
10-05-08, 11:16 PM
I got an e-mail the other day. Son says he wants us to bring him some 'civies.' Says his stuff will be locked up when he gets back. I understand the reason for this, but will he be allowed to go to his barracks room after homecoming? (1st time deployed Dad)

Can't tell you for sure, but our Marines always came back to open rooms. We worked out different systems but the final result was when your Marine is released to you on that blessed day, he will be yours. They should account for the gear, exchange numbers and addresses and assign rooms while en route (trust me-plenty of down time in transit...) Not really sure if that answered your question, sir.. :iwo:

Corpspapa
10-06-08, 12:08 AM
10-4 on Logistics will in Transit. Glad the hear the Corps has a plan, as always. Thank you. We have a Sleepy Tort res for all of us, but was wondering if he might want to 'endulge' with his buddies when he gets back.

Corpspapa
10-06-08, 12:16 AM
And, Thank You for serving, Marine.

Corpspapa
10-11-08, 12:19 AM
What is the cause?

To provide freedom to those who cannot attain it on their own, and to repel any foe which wishes to prevent freedom from it's people.

Lives have been lost, and blood has been shed for this cause.

If we, the most free people on this planet, cannot assist others in this desire, then what is the purpose of our existance?

There are many, over the years of our Great Nation, who have gone into battle with this high goal in their minds, their hearts, their beliefs.

And it is a high goal. We, the Americans, have shown the world many times over, of our dedication to this belief.

And we continue to do so.

Corpspapa
10-17-08, 07:14 PM
......On a lighter note, heard from my Marine today. He, and his buddies, are good-to-go. I just love this world of modern communication. E-mails rock! Got a couple of 'field' pics, too. Hey, it's kinda dusty out there in the 'stan. Ha-ha.

PaidinBlood
10-17-08, 10:16 PM
Well that is always good news. Especially as rough a trip as they had, your family has been blessed. I suppose it's never over just yet, though. Our regards to you and your Marine.
s/f
Chris

Corpspapa
10-18-08, 11:44 AM
Chris ~ 10-4 on "never over just yet." Not till they set boot on ground back home, is it over. We lost another one last week. They remain vigilant, as do we who support them. All prayers accepted, my friend.

DAMNPROUD
10-19-08, 08:00 AM
Bill please thank all of the Marines you see for us they are all in our prayers daily.
The Marines are the life blood of this country in my opinion and im DAMNPROUD OF EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM!!!!

Tell those boys to relax and congradulations on a job well done
keith

Corpspapa
10-26-08, 11:40 PM
Will do, Keith.

We have learned that 2 more have been lost in the struggle.

Not until they are on American soil will it be over for the 2/7.

Then, it begins for the 3/8.

When will they be able to take off the gloves, and do some serious Marine *ss-kicking?

I went out to the patio today, and did a major cleaning. Blake and I like to hang out there. This time, with a few beers, a hot grill, and maybe a few Hooters gals.

(Mrs. Corpspapa, close your eyes.)

rickyracer
10-27-08, 03:39 AM
Bill, you sound like a good, man, father, American.

Welcome to the family.

PaidinBlood
10-27-08, 07:28 AM
Heard about that. Some Colonel's wife was trying to explain to mine the other day the situation over there. She claimed that we are not actively engaging the enemy at this time, due to the lack of a developed road system. My better half asked about 2/7 and all their combat replacements, and she didn't really have anything to say. Some people ought to just stay quiet...

ScottsMom
10-27-08, 10:20 AM
Will do, Keith.

We have learned that 2 more have been lost in the struggle.

Not until they are on American soil will it be over for the 2/7.

Then, it begins for the 3/8.

When will they be able to take off the gloves, and do some serious Marine *ss-kicking?

I went out to the patio today, and did a major cleaning. Blake and I like to hang out there. This time, with a few beers, a hot grill, and maybe a few Hooters gals.

(Mrs. Corpspapa, close your eyes.)

My son will be part of 3/8. He is scheduled to leave in February. I'm trying not worry yet, but it's hard to not worry for all of them.....

KawiGunny
10-27-08, 10:40 AM
My kids are to young to join the Corps but I must say that it is great that the parents have a place here to talk. Sure, my wife and kids have always been there for me when I returned from deployment, but it has always made me proud to see the parents of my Marines there for them when we get off the buses. I was in the infantry and our young men always put out 100% in the worst of conditions. After every trip to the desert, the crowd of parents always seemed to get larger. My hat goes off to all of you parents for your great support for your young Marine. They definitely deserve your attention when returning from over there. It is like a huge relief for them to see you and spend some time with you. They are always busy at first after getting off the bus (thanks to us Staff NCO's) but we have always tried to limit what we need to them to do. That way they have as much time with you as possible. Again, thanks to all you parents for being there and supporting our young warriors.

Corpspapa
10-27-08, 07:29 PM
rickyracer ~ Thank you.

PaidinBlood ~ I hear you. Far be it for me to be gung-ho with my son's, and your, life. Ever since My Lai and the TV war, carpet bombing just isn't done anymore.

ScottsMom ~ I promise you this, the 3/8 will constantly remain in my prayers.

KawiGunny ~ I really appreciate your post. This will be our first Homecoming. From what I am learning, I just thought Boot Camp Grad was an emotional occasion.

0231Marine
10-28-08, 07:15 AM
My son will be part of 3/8. He is scheduled to leave in February. I'm trying not worry yet, but it's hard to not worry for all of them.....

Ma'am,

I served with 3/8 in Ramadi in 2006, back when it was the most dangerous city in the world.

They are consummate professionals with multiple combat tours. Your son will be in good hands.

marinemama
10-28-08, 10:59 AM
I am so happy the 2/7 is finally coming home, they have all sure put up one heck of a fight. It will be such a happy day for you Bill. I am sure your wife won't mind the Hooter's Girls. :o) I am so excited for my homecomings and they haven't even left yet...one day at a time.

Gina, the 3/8 will be added to my prayers. We will be in the same boat...I found out that both of mine are going within the same month of each other. You have my support anytime.

Corpspapa
11-16-08, 11:20 PM
Whew! Still a little woozey after the one-two punch of the Marine Corps Birthday and Veteran's Day. And I work with a lot of Veteran's, which lead to a lot of celebrating.

Now, back to playing the Homecoming Window Shuffle.

That day, maybe,
This day, possibly,
No, no, back to That day,
No, no, wait and see.

DAMNPROUD
11-17-08, 07:19 AM
flexibility brother!you are doing fine!

MPMOM
11-17-08, 10:06 PM
Hi Bill, so happy for you and your son about the homecoming. I am a mom too that just had to check the dad thread lol. I still remember standing in a Del Taco and getting a call that said Mom I am in Maine. Talk about relief. Just understand the ups and downs.

Corpspapa
11-23-08, 02:19 AM
Damnproud

DAMNPROUD
11-26-08, 06:25 AM
bill by now i hope all of your marines are home .enjoy thanksgiving and keep em safe.

we all have a lot to be thankful for!

Corpspapa
12-06-08, 10:19 PM
DP ~ Thank you. Yes, by now the 2/7 are ALL back. Resting comfortably with their wives, families, or snuggled-up in their comfy barracks rooms.

We did go out for Homecoming. Boot Camp Grad is certainly full of emotions, but H/C is much more so.

To see my wife get her 'hug' represented the end of a long anxiety-driven, pins-and-needles episode. Being a 1st-time deployment parents, we have learned a lot about what the 'big picture' is all about. Son is good-to-go, and can't wait to get home for 'block' leave.

Thanks to all who have dropped in to this thread, and for your posts of support.

Not the end, just the end of the beginning.......

DAMNPROUD
12-07-08, 09:29 AM
bill im very happy for you and your wife.tell that son of yours he is one my many heroes.love to see some pics
keith

Corpspapa
12-17-08, 06:17 AM
Keith ~ As requested. A couple of pics are up. Had to figure how to accomplish the feat. 29 Palms weather was fantastic while we were there over Thanksgiving. We met several folks from the other message board I frequent. One of Blake's buddy's parents couldn't make it, so we adopted him for the few days we were there. Adam is a great kid, slept his butt off mostly, lol.

And, check this out..... We met one of Blake's boot camp DI's who was staying at Billeting also. Gunny was being transfered to another battalion there. You should have seen Blake's face when I shouted into his room to report front-and-center. Out he came, and there was Gunny waiting for him. Ooh-Rah!

DAMNPROUD
12-17-08, 09:45 AM
Bill great pics 2/7 did a greatjob over there!you look pretty puffed up standing next to your marine as well you should be.
keith

Corpspapa
12-20-08, 02:10 AM
Have Marine Home!! Just got in from the drive back from DFW. Got his Z28 up 140 mph before I cautioned him about the convoy of trucks up ahead, ha-ha. He loves driving that car. Just after 2:00 AM, and he and little brother are headed out for a late night chow run. Oh well, was good to be with him for a few, ha-ha.

Now, where did Mrs. Corpspapa hide my bottle of Beam???***

DAMNPROUD
12-21-08, 07:59 AM
thats great bill my Marine comes home on tuesday cant wait.
no where is my bottle of crown lol
keith

Corpspapa
12-21-08, 10:40 AM
Keith ~ Glad your Marine will also be home for Christmas. As I get older, Christmas turns from being up late puting together bicycles and toys to just wanting them home. One more son to go before we are empty-nesters. Man, I'm dreading that.

I wouldn't think of polluting your Crown with anything, so here's a glass of nog-n-Beam. Cheers.

Corpspapa
01-24-09, 03:43 AM
Apologies for the long absence, but where the Hell did the last 30 days go?

Damn, I can remember picking him up at the airport. Then, the next thing I know, he's burning rubber down the street as he takes off for his first road-trip back to the Stumps.

WTF......??????

DAMNPROUD
01-26-09, 07:00 AM
Glad Your Back Bill!

Corpspapa
01-29-09, 11:32 PM
Thanks, Keith. It was a whirlwind, I kid you not. Just now geting back to 'normal' living. A text message here, an e-mail there. Contact with my son is like skipping stones across a calm lake. He's safe at Home Station. And, I am happy. Happy as an ant in a sugar factory, lol.

Now, I've got a question: Tauras .45, or Hi-Point .45?

0231Marine
01-30-09, 07:33 AM
What's wrong with Desert Eagle .45?

Corpspapa
01-31-09, 01:34 AM
The DE .45 is a great gun, but I'm looking more towards Home Protection/Conceal-Carry. And, have a very limited wallet. Thus, the lower-end market. I like the Mil-Pro, but it must be a newer generation. Although, the Hi-Point, price-wise, is atracting my attention, as big as it is.

jrhd97
01-31-09, 09:25 AM
The DE .45 is a great gun, but I'm looking more towards Home Protection/Conceal-Carry. And, have a very limited wallet. Thus, the lower-end market. I like the Mil-Pro, but it must be a newer generation. Although, the Hi-Point, price-wise, is atracting my attention, as big as it is.

A lot of people knock the Hi- Point, but it is a decent weapon. Life time warranty, built in the U.S.A. It is bulky and you have to be a big guy to carry it concealed.
Taurus is excellent and they have a line that is easy to conceal. I'm 5'10, 160 lbs and can carry my Taurus concealed and nobody knows I have it. I prefer the Taurus over the Hi-Point hands down.

LeonardLawrence
02-01-09, 11:09 AM
Just wanted to say a big welcome back to the 2/7!

Served from 95-99 with 1st Platoon and Weapons platoon and there are some of us old folks that tried to keep an eye out on things. This was back in the day when Colonel Hall was a Captain with Fox Company :beer:. Motivator!

You have made us, and a greatful nation proud, with the work you did and continue to do.

I offer my sincere e-salute :marine:

Corpspapa
02-11-09, 12:06 AM
CPL. L.L. ~ I am so very proud to have you post in this thread. Thank you, Sir, for you service to the great nation of the U.S.A.!!

Then Capt. recently Lt. Col., and who knows..., Full Bird Hall???? That guy has been an excellent Commander for the 2/7th. He sprouted off the need for local air support... And, lo-and-behold- our sons got it. Ooh-Rah!

Love that guy. He moves on to bigger avenues, and may he continue to rise.

May God continue to bless the Corps, and you Cpl. L. L.

Corpspapa
02-15-09, 03:45 AM
Got the Taurus, Millenium Pro .45 at Academy. Frickin local gun shop wanted $40.00 more, so screw them.

Going to get set up with a local shooting range that will also do CCL. Purchased 100 rounds, and can't wait to let 'er rip.

I was originally opting for a 9-mil, but my son (the Marine) said "Go .45. Anything less is girly-man stuff."

Can't say I disagree with him.

0231Marine
02-16-09, 06:52 AM
I was originally opting for a 9-mil, but my son (the Marine) said "Go .45. Anything less is girly-man stuff."

He certainly has a point!

Corpspapa
03-01-09, 04:35 AM
When my Marine left home, to head back to 'base,' he peeled-off, burning rubber big time.

Now, one month later (plus), those burn-out marks are still there.

And, every time I pull up to the house, I see them, and think of him,.... always.

MotoDad
05-19-09, 03:33 PM
Hi fellow Dad's!

Any of you guys have a son that is in the process of trying to become an 0321 Reconnaissance Marine?

My son just shipped-out (9) days ago to Boot Camp at MCRD San Diego with a UZ contract....MOS 0321 Reconnaissance Marine...

He trained HARD for (4) solid months before shipping.....currently runs a 289 PFT and swims like a fish.....he had a 91 ASVAB score with a 130 GT line-score.....

I think he has a GREAT shot at making it!!!

I haven't discussed this with him, but if for some reason he does not make Recon, he'll go to the Fleet as an 0311 Rifleman and either:

A) Try-out again for Recon in a year or so, or....

B) Lat Move into EOD after he makes Corporal.....with a 91 ASVAB and
130 GT line-score, EOD would probably love to have a very intelligent Marine with close to a 300 PFT! :thumbup:

(OK, I'm done braggin' on him now!!! HA!) :D