PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Poolee requesting to go to Parris Island

hardcorps1110
09-26-08, 05:12 PM
My recruiter told me if there is a family legacy you can request this. He said he needed one of my Grandfathers DD214 forms, and a short paper (couple paragraphs) explaining why I wanted to train there. Let me know what you think...

To: The United States Marine Corps

Date: September 26, 2008

Subject: Request to go to MCRD Parris Island

Ever since I was young I’ve tried to emulate my grandfather in every way. J Dale Stull is the most selfless man I’ve ever known. As a young adult, I became aware of the sacrifice he, along with many other men, made serving in the Marine Corps. His faith in God and love for his country and family motivated him to work hard to become the fine man he was. He also believed that his enlisting in the Marine Corps and fighting for freedom allowed him to retain those things he loved most and that shaped him into the strong and wise man he became.

My Grandpa Stull died on November 10, 2007, the Marine Corps’ birthday. It could be coincidence, but I think after his twenty-three years of service to his Corps there were not many experiences closer to his heart than those lived in the Corps. At his funeral a Marine handed me the flag that had been draped over his casket, and although I had already made my decision to join the Marines, it felt as if Gunnery Sergeant Stull was handing over the baton.

There’s nothing I want more than to be a Marine. It isn’t about college benefits or career opportunities, but carrying on a legacy of honor and service. And as I try to be a reflection of my grandfather, I hope to start exactly where he did---on the yellow footprints at MCRD Parris Island.

Therefore, I respectfully request permission to be assigned to Recruit Training at Parris Island, South Carolina.

Eric M. Stull

degenerate138
09-26-08, 06:35 PM
Very nice and very well written. I hope they grant your request to go to Parris Island.

HurricaneRJ
09-26-08, 06:38 PM
******* son, kinda teared up on that one.

That's should work imho.

UsmcMotorT
09-26-08, 07:34 PM
That was d.a.m.n good. If that wont get you into MCRDPI I dont know what will.

bucksgted
09-26-08, 10:19 PM
Gets my stamp of approval. Good to go, Poolee!! Get some!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-26-08, 10:59 PM
I will preface this by saying that, as a rule, I think it is pretty stupid to worry about where one goes to boot camp. Marines are made at both Recruit Depots and the end product is the same.

That said, this is a rare case where I fully support your desire to attend boot camp at a location you're not going to be sent to without jumping through some hoops. I'd be horrified if the Marine Corps didn't honor this request. Best of luck.

Garrett90
09-26-08, 11:57 PM
That reference to handing over the baton, I think that was darn good.

dutch1291
09-27-08, 08:20 PM
That is heartwarming and extremely good.

kash
09-27-08, 08:58 PM
Nailed it! Good job.

GySgtRet
09-27-08, 09:51 PM
First Rest in Peace Gunnery Sergeant Stull. I didn't know him he was my brother.

On my tour on recruiting duty I had a couple of favorite son requests at least that is what you are trying to do here. If I were to be at your District Recruiting Headquarters I would give this a great send off. The passing the baton, choked me up and my eyes started to leak.

Thank you for carring on in your grandfater's foot steps they are big boots to fill but it looks as if you are the one to fill them. God Speed.

Semper Fi Gunny Stull

Gunny out
:usmc:

hardcorps1110
09-27-08, 10:22 PM
Thanks so much guys. I'm definitely more confident sending this out now. I know the Corps appreciates tradition, but I didn't know if this was expressing my emotions too much. I appreciate you guys taking the time. Semper Fi.

hardcorps1110
09-27-08, 10:29 PM
Thanks so much guys. I'm definitely more confident sending this out now. I know the Corps appreciates tradition, but I didn't know if this was expressing my emotions too much. I appreciate you guys taking the time. Semper Fi.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd127/hardcorps1110/Papa.jpg