PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps League/Toys 4 Tots *problem*

MotherGoose
09-26-08, 09:29 AM
Last night at the monthly MCL meeting, we had an intense debate regarding Toys 4 Tots. My league has members who seem to have their hand in every friggin organization in town, and thus, are very political. Here is the situation, I will try to make it short:

For 5 years, my MCL has raised money for T4T. This year, a couple of our members made a motion to only give 50% of our T4T funds to them. This is due to the fact that they are personally p.o.'d about some incidents that took place regarding fundraising. (These men are also involved in a group called GoodFellows.) Apparently, they are mad because the MCL approached a big employer in town (Chrysler) and received donations, and THEN the active duty Marines went to Chrysler in their dress blues and collected even more money. These men are also mad because other organizations are trying to get donations for T4T also. They claim that T4T is OUR territory, and if people are going to get in our way, then screw Toys for Tots.

I don't get this reasoning at all and it is causing a LOT of hate and discontent. I say "who cares where the money comes from, it's about the kids, not us or politics." I was told last night that I should "go to some of the meetings (apparently GoodFellows meetings) to see what is going on." I don't think that I have to get involved in another organization to make decisions regarding the MCL. These egotistical old farts are just upset because they seem to want all the recognition and glory. I would be more than pleased to make anonymous donations, I don't need my back patted every time I do something for charity but some of these guys always expect something in return. Case in point, last weekend was the Vietnam Veterans Reunion, and one of these old farts drove there and was mad because they wouldn't let him in for free. He told them "I raised over 2,000.00 for you guys and you can't let me in for free?" So he left. D***, the ticket price is only 7 bucks, and trust me, this guy has money flying out of his butt.

It is things like this that makes me really mad. A SSgt from a nearby reserve base came to our meeting last night. He is the new T4T rep and he stood there and read directly from the SOP that any funds gathered, using the T4T logo, must be given to T4T, and if they are not it is basically embezzlement. Boy, you would have thought this SSgt murdered a kitten right in front of these SOB's. They tried to tear him a new a-hole and basically disrespected him, because they are upset, stating that years ago a "gentleman's agreement" was made between T4T and the MCL that we would split it 75-25 (and this year they wanted to vote to split it 50-50.) I was very upset at the way they treated this squared away, motivated SSgt, and I told them so, making tempers flare even more. This SSgt is just doing his job according to SOP. He doesn't care what has gone on in the past, he is going to do it the way it is supposed to be done.

Now, these old farts are talking about not even raising funds for T4T next year, or just not using the T4T logo, so that we may use our funds as we see fit.

Boy, I am so mad right now I can barely see straight. Any advice on how to handle these guys? Maybe I should just let it go, but I get worked up about stuff that I think is unjust.

exnitro
09-26-08, 12:53 PM
There's always a few that want to do things their way. We always take a vote and the majority rules, end of problem.(except for the *****in)We have a local church group that has a program called Toys for Joy that helps underprivliged kids at Xmas time with toys and warm clothes. We always have a food stand to raise money and take donations of toys and money and give it to the church group for distribution. They buy new clothes, gloves, hats, underwear, etc. for the kids. We are a small community and keep it local and do not participate in the T4T. The Toys For Joy program has been doing this for many years, so we're just happy to help out. Hope you get it all worked out.

Old Marine
09-26-08, 04:10 PM
Toys For Tots has been around longer than most of us. I was on I&I Duty from 1956 thru 1959 and at the time as far as I know T4T was a Reserve function. We would collect all kinds of toys, new ones, old ones and many that were unserviceable. I really gave people a chance to clean out their garages.

We went to schools and children would donate toys to us. We would get lists from the welfare people and then we would distribut the toys. It appears that T4T has really grown into big business these days. Used to be a really good thing, but, maybe it is getting out of control and everyone wants a piece of the pie. Thats a real shame as it was intended for the under privlaged children.

CplKJSpevak
09-26-08, 05:13 PM
Wow! that whole thing is really sad. Some of those people need to take a step back and look inside their hearts, Regarding what T4T's is all about...It's really simple, every red cent donated, Entrusted that it would be going to Toy's for Tot's should go there..

SlingerDun
09-26-08, 06:03 PM
Any advice on how to handle these guys?Methodically negotiations. Many oldies gleam within at he-man women haters clubs and enjoy taking young whipper snappers down a notch, who don't conform. Because grandaddydiditdatway' flexing flaccid muscles never felt so good.

To make a buck i've had to grapple ideas and concepts with crusty ranchers and horsemen who would make the old Gothic farm couple appear as hipsters. But the oldies being creatures of habit, a steady consistent voice of reasonable proof often prevails.... but takes time.

Maybe I should just let it gohehe yeah they'd like thathttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

--->Dave

JRHD72
09-26-08, 07:02 PM
If your detachment raised funds fot t4t and do's not forward all of it you can be in big doodoo. New general in charge aint taken no chit from no one. Your det. definitely wind up in some big trouble!

JRHD72
09-26-08, 07:16 PM
Mothergoose.
I sent you a personal note. If they let that S/Sgt. know that they have not turned over 100% of funds raised to the T4T program. You are going to be audited by national! Your det. is in for a world of chit n it's gonna get deep. The Commandant of the Corps itself may even become involved. Forwarn the old farts they opened up a big can o worms!

MotherGoose
09-30-08, 08:52 AM
I appreciate all of the advice, we DID turn over all the funds for T4T, that's what that SSgt from the reserve base was there to tell us. He stood there and read right out of the SOP re: any T4T funds must be turned over 100%, or BIG trouble will happen. Still, some resisted, and we actually had to make a motion to turn over 100% of the funds. It was ridiculous. Some of the older members don't like to follow SOP but there are enough of us younger folk there to help keep everything in check. I certainly would not do anything to bring discredit upon the Corps or the League. And I agree with CplKJSpevak, it is a sad situation, some don't have their heart in the right place.

jrhd97
09-30-08, 09:46 AM
Maybe the T4T program needs to forbid problem dets from participating. If they managed to keep some of the money and it got public. Well that would tarnish the whole thing and the media would love it.
Maybe your det should politely ask the members that are trying to get you all in a heap of legal trouble to find a new det, don't come back.

CplKJSpevak
09-30-08, 02:12 PM
This post makes me appreciate the Old Timers at my Det.( I'm probably one of the younger members)!

rickyracer
12-11-08, 04:44 PM
Justice was server'd.

Twitchell
12-21-08, 09:52 PM
I'm joining the local Marine Corps League next month. If I hear of any bull**** like that going on, I will end it myself if I have to.

Every dime of T4T donations should go to T4T PERIOD!

Another problem is if the civilian world gets wind of this, the Marine Corps will be tarnished beyond belief. Not to mention the whole T4T program will probably be done away with, cause no one will even donate to it anymore. Damn shame!

Twitchell
12-21-08, 09:55 PM
Sorry I did'nt realise how old this thread was, I read the first of the thread and got all fired up. I'm glad it got cleared up.

Disregard!

6yrforMar
06-26-09, 12:53 PM
The detachment I belong to has been discussing T4T's.Our Local Marine Reserve unit just deployed to Afganistan.They had the manpower & equip.to handle this logistical problem,I think our detachment will take T4T's on with the help of a few other Detachments.This thread is old but the same problems exist.

doctap1246
09-15-10, 08:27 AM
Perhaps you should kick the question (without the incident report) up to National. Locally our detachment discussed fund raising and decided that the moral high road is best. So when we solicite on behalf of MHM or T4Ts, etc....only our expenses are deducted. Everything else goes to the charity.

6yrforMar
09-16-10, 10:23 AM
Our MCL detachment has a new problem this year,The Marine reserve unit MAG 49 & all of its support has left Willow Grove JRB,in Pa.because of BRACC to McQuire AFB, NJ.The 14th Marines in Philly was sent all of the Logistical records for Toys for Tots.The 14th is being very tight lipped about this and they are moving too.I guess Toys for Tots & the Kids gets short changed this year,in the Montgomery-Bucks county area's of Pa.

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
11-06-10, 09:18 AM
This is just one more example of good intentions Going South. It would appear that T4T has joined an ever growing list of "Charity's" that are looking out for the self serving interests of some of the members (and their crony's) instead of the folks they are supposed to assist.

A Pox upon your house.

:sick:

Tracylaud83
11-29-10, 07:21 PM
I've only been in MCL a few years, I see a lot of the "old timers" with this problem, even the MCL brass (No names mentioned), don't want to follow USMC SOP or even MCO's. It seems to be all about them.

DRESSBLUE
12-05-10, 06:46 PM
HI
I run a program called young marines, my young marines
Stand at a mall and collect toys and money for toys for tots
The young marines get community service hours for their effort,
And the toys go to the 4th combat engineers.
any money collected I give to the young marines and they
buy toys and the receipt goes into the money jar for accountability.
Well to make a long story short a person from the marine corporation
league came to the mall and tried to take our jar, I asked her what
she was doing she stated that the MCL had the area locked down
And all proceeds collected went to them, I said funny I don't see
Any MCL people working here just my kids so I sent her
off on her way. But what nerve those Marine league folks
have. That why I get rid of the cash, can't spend a toy.
Semper Fi

DRESSBLUE
12-05-10, 06:49 PM
LOL
I ment Marine corp league. Sorry

Lisa 23
12-05-10, 06:54 PM
LOL
I ment Marine corp league. Sorry

You're a Marine and don't know how to spell Marine Corps?

And these Marine Corps League members you speak of are were also Marines and FMF Corpsman.
I'm a MCL member.

Tracylaud83
12-05-10, 07:04 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think the MCL is a GREAT orginazation. It's just some of the people who are running it. My wife says I should quit the League, But, I can't change it back to the right direction from the outside. I Joined, My son (A Marine) joined, and I am a Detachment Officer, In a few years, I plan on moving up to State level. Until them, I am a voice in the crowd, But the crowd seems to be growing....

Lisa 23
12-05-10, 07:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think the MCL is a GREAT orginazation. It's just some of the people who are running it. My wife says I should quit the League, But, I can't change it back to the right direction from the outside. I Joined, My son (A Marine) joined, and I am a Detachment Officer, In a few years, I plan on moving up to State level. Until them, I am a voice in the crowd, But the crowd seems to be growing....

I'm an Officer on all 3 levels.....Detachment, Department, and National.

Remember.....it's the voice in the crowd that's important!
Some members think that at National Conventions, that it's the National Officers who vote on the by-law changes and uniform changes.....it's who goes as your voting delegate member(s) from your Detachment that go to these Conventions that vote on this.

3531marine
12-05-10, 09:02 PM
I suppose if your a MCL member you understand that ALL MONIES AND TOYS are accountable to the Toys 4TOTS foundation.A report of all toys &money are to be sent to the foundation.It's a federal offence to misuse T4T LOGO otherwise.Semper Fi Marines.

Lisa 23
12-05-10, 09:18 PM
I suppose if your a MCL member you understand that ALL MONIES AND TOYS are accountable to the Toys 4TOTS foundation.A report of all toys &money are to be sent to the foundation.It's a federal offence to misuse T4T LOGO otherwise.Semper Fi Marines.

Exactly! :thumbup: