PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone confirm this? US Marines reinforce bridge on Bolivar Peninsula Texas.

greybeard
09-26-08, 07:40 AM
As I type this, my twin brother is sitting in a 8 mile long line on highway 87 leading into Crystal Beach Texas, on the Bolivar Peninsula, which was all but swept clean by hurrican Ike. He is 99.9% sure his house is completely gone, since aerial views of his street have been posted on the internet. He retires from his job in Arkansas in less than 2 years, and bought the house in May 08 to retire to. Highway 87 crosses Rollover Pass via a bridge, which was heavily damaged, with @ least 1 lane completely collapsed. Today will be the 1st day residents and property owners have been allowed back on the peninsula.

Anyway, he calls me this morning @ 0600 to tell me the locals in Winnie Texas had told him newspaper reports there reported the bridge had been reinforced by US Corps of Engineers, but were erroneous. Indigenous personell told him that 2 teams of US Marine Combat Engineers came ashore-one on each end of the bridgehead and that the Marines had been responsible for reinforcing the bridge--not USCOE. :flag: :banana:
Anyone know anything about this?

jarheadlady
09-27-08, 07:50 AM
I have not heard this, but I will look into it. I have several friends that live out on Boliver (or did rather) and some friends in the reserve unit.