PDA

View Full Version : Pool'ee Platoon Guide to Marine Guide...

hardcorps1110
09-25-08, 11:48 AM
Hi everyone. I just registered on this site and it's great. It's definitely helped a lot.

I had a question concerning making guide in boot camp. My recruiter has placed me in the guide position for DEP cause I've been really motivated. I had to fight my parents to enlist, and definitely had to improve physically which I did as well. I'm running about a 285 PFT consistently (sometimes better) as opposed to 121 six months ago. I wasn't doing great in school but I got my act together and finished and got a 70 on my ASVAB with a GT 115.

Does the experience of being a guide in DEP really hold any weight to the resonsibilities you'd have at boot camp? I haven't had much luck as far as referrals go but I really want to graduate PFC and I'm willing put in the effort. Are there any suggestions on what I should remain doing or begin asap to improve chances of being chosen as a guide? I know once you're there you can lose the job as fast as you've earned it. But any suggestions would help. Thanks alot.

BTW: I leave Oct. 27th :usmc:

Enigmatic
09-25-08, 12:10 PM
No Drill Instructor is going to care the least bit that you were a guide in DEP. That being said, if you're really motivated and you really want it, it can be done.

AL49BGN
09-25-08, 12:42 PM
Being Guide in DEP isn't going to help you in Boot Camp.Just stay motivated and prove yourself to your Drill Instructors.Good Luck!

OB MSG
09-25-08, 01:14 PM
As has been said already: Being guide in the DEP isn't worth squat to the DI's.

What you can take away from it is that you stay motivated and focused. when you get to Boot, don't try to be the guide, just try to be the best recruit you can and help your fellow recruits to get through. Work on knowledge with them, talk to them, be an ear if they need to vent and so on. The DI's will take note. (Also you will go through about 20 Guides before you graduate. We went through four in one day.)

It worked for me. Boot grad date: 18 Dec 1998, 1st Bn, A Co., Platoon 1109. Private First Class of Marines. Even better, Honor Grad Platoon 1109.

hardcorps1110
09-25-08, 01:14 PM
Okay, thanks a lot. I thought that was the case. Just making sure.

lagrand
09-25-08, 11:33 PM
To both Staff Sergeants, Corporal Gonzo, and other Marines... What is the best way to lead a platoon of recruits/Marines, from your experience in leaderships positions? I believe this kind of information would be beneficial to not only I, but to poolee Hardcorps. Thank you.

Quinbo
09-26-08, 07:08 AM
What in the world does Vice President Cheney do anyway?

Phantom Blooper
09-26-08, 07:25 AM
What in the world does Vice President Cheney do anyway?

Shoots ducks and people!:evilgrin:

Quinbo
09-26-08, 07:55 AM
There ya go .... he is the guide

davblay
09-26-08, 10:07 AM
Shoots ducks and people!:evilgrin:

Didin't you mean "SHOOTS PEOPLE AND DUCKS"? :marine:

Dave

OB MSG
09-26-08, 10:54 AM
LOL! Yeah, if I knew the Veep was anywhere near my position I would quickly go for cover and concealment!

Onto the serious note, (we have to have one once in awhile):

Lagrand: Lead from the Front! Don't tell the Recruits you're in Boot with, or the Marines you will be leading, to do anything you are not willing to do yourself. Lead by example and you will gain their respect. That right there will carry you a long way. If you BS and don't carry your weight, it will get out and you will be worthless as a leader.