PDA

View Full Version : Marines keep Algiers jamming

thedrifter
09-25-08, 08:18 AM
Marines keep Algiers jamming
Weekly jazz shows draw special guests
Thursday, September 25, 2008
By Amy Hubbell

I don't know how much the average Algerine thinks about the Naval Support Activity base as part of the Algiers community. To me, it was a fundamental part of childhood. The swimming pool, the theater -- heck, it was the reason for my existence. My parents met at a party at the Officers' Club on base in the late 1940s.

So I'm delighted to hear a couple of Marines making a splash in the local jazz scene. Once a week, at Old Point Bar in Algiers Point, we're treated to the Algiers Jam Session. Two active-duty Marines stationed at the base on Gen. Meyer Avenue -- saxophonist James Barry and trombonist Michael Watson -- anchor the band. Regular guests include Nick Hughes and Will Buckingham.

It's a true jam session. The regulars can sound so tight that joining in may seem intimidating, but these guys are eager to have newcomers participate. They play a wide range of styles -- funk, modern jazz, Dixieland -- Barry says they'll play "whatever the audience wants and whatever the musicians sitting in want." Watson added, "Whatever happens, happens. We've had a bagpipe player here."

Drummer Stanton Moore and trombonist Rick Trolsen, both Algiers Point residents, have sat in. Jack Fine and Delfeayo Marsalis, who has a regular Saturday night gig at the Old Point, have also jammed with these guys. Trumpeter Irvin Mayfield, too. Barry and Watson raved about him. Watson, who played with Mayfield's New Orleans Jazz Orchestra when the president was in town, said that "Irvin really supports getting younger musicians into the scene."

Recently, Eduardo Tozzatto played keyboard with the Algiers Jam Session for the first time. A native of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, he has been in New Orleans for 10 years. Two jazz students from Loyola University, Dan Wallis of Baltimore and Gus Cortinas of Mexico City, also sat in for the first time. They said they found out about it online. The audience loved them and they seemed to have a lot of fun, too. Wallis said, "I'm definitely coming back next week."

I asked Barry and Watson, who are both members of the Marine Forces Reserve Band, how they ended up in New Orleans. Watson, 23, has been playing jazz since the sixth grade. From Canton, Ohio, he said that he is here because "I scored high enough (on the Marine Band audition) to choose my duty station." Barry, from Newberg, N.Y., said the same and added "I love it. The opportunities are endless here. The musicians are all really kind, really inviting."

They said that as Marine musicians, they have the best of both worlds. Of the Marine music program, Barry said, "What we can do with it is unending." While it is restrictive in some ways -- Watson missed a chance to tour with Comic Relief -- he said that he "probably wouldn't have come to New Orleans without the Marines. I definitely owe that to the military."

They are loving being in New Orleans. "We've played a bunch of gigs up and down Bourbon and Frenchmen streets. There is no more inviting musical community than New Orleans. Here it's just friendly. You can walk into anyplace with a horn and play."

Continuing that tradition, the Algiers Jam Session is at 8 p.m. every Tuesday in October -- and hopefully beyond -- at Old Point Bar, 545 Patterson in Algiers Point. The message from Barry and Watson is "Please come and play. Bring your friends." If you don't play, come on over and listen with the rest of us. It's a real treat. And it's free!

. . . . . . .

The temporary library in the Algiers Historical Museum is closed while the building is being used for early voting. The library, in the museum behind the Courthouse at 225 Morgan in Algiers Point, will reopen on Monday. Hours are Mondays through Thursdays, and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

. . . . . . .

This morning's meeting of the Kiwanis Club of Algiers-Morning Edition features Jack Brans speaking on "I am a Kiwanian, But Do You Really Know Me?" The weekly meetings are held on Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. at Aurora Tennis and Swim Club, 5244 Gen. Meyer Avenue. Guests are always welcome. Next week's meeting features Russ Kercher, governor of the Louisiana, Mississippi and West Tennessee District of Kiwanis International.

. . . . . . .

This morning at 7:30 a.m., St. Andrew the Apostle is hosting its annual prayer breakfast at English Turn Golf and Country Club. The keynote speaker will be the Rev. Bishop Fabre.

. . . . . . .

Today from 4 to 5:30 p.m., Fleet Reserve Association Branch 162 members and guests are invited to "Burn Your Own Steak" at 701 Keppler St. in Gretna. Karaoke will follow.

. . . . . . .

On Friday at 6 p.m., The Kiwanis Club of Algiers-Morning Edition will hold its 18th annual installation and awards banquet at Li'l Dizzy's Cafe at the Wyndham Whitney Hotel at 610 Poydras. Algerines will be honored for outstanding service to the community through more than a dozen service projects and contribution of more than $40,000, including the procurement of automated external defibrillators for all nine schools of the Algiers Charter School Association. Officers to be installed include Stuart Gay as president, Tom Nagelin as president-elect, Jack Brans as vice president, Gary Bair as immediate past president, Kim Brans as secretary and Philip Nolan as treasurer.

. . . . . . .

Saturday is National Public Lands Day. From 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Woodlands Trail and Park has a work day planned along America's Wetland Birding Trail in Belle Chasse. The team will clear trails, install sign posts and poles and mount wood duck nesting boxes. Volunteers should wear closed-toed shoes and work gloves. Woodlands Trail and Park will provide sandwiches and water. If you can help, send e-mail to woodlandstrail@aol.com or call 504.433.4000.

. . . . . . .

On Sunday nights, the Craige Cultural Center at 1800 Newton St. hosts Uni-Verses, a spoken word night. Doors open at 7 p.m.; open mic starts at 8 p.m. The $5 admission includes refreshments. Call 504.575.9142 or send e-mail to chriswill75@gmail.com for more information.

. . . . . . .

On Tuesday from 6 to 9 p.m., state Sen. David Heitmeier and members of the Orleans Parish Democratic Executive Committee will host a meet-and-greet for their candidate for District 4 of the Orleans Parish School Board, Camacia Ross. There will be free food and drinks at the event, which will be held at The Suite, 3580 Holiday Drive, Suite 8.

. . . . . . .

The Algiers Economic Development Foundation will host a business mixer from 6 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday at Rosetree Glass Studio, 446 Vallette, in Algiers Point. The public is invited to the free event, and refreshments will be served. Call 504.362.6436 for more information.

. . . . . . .

On Wednesday at 6:30 p.m., Algiers Point Neighborhood Watch will host a forum for the candidates running for Orleans Parish district attorney: Linda Bizzarro, Ralph Capitelli, Leon Cannizzaro and Jason Williams. It will be held at Holy Name of Mary School cafeteria, 500 Olivier St., in Algiers Point. All are invited. The forum will be moderated by WDSU anchor Norman Robinson. For more information, contact Mike Rocks at 504.654.9976 or mjrocks@esq.nocoxmail.com.

. . . . . . .

Welcome Neighbors will hold a coffee on Wednesday from 10:30 a.m. to noon at the home of President Hellen Kelly. Call 504.488.5290 for information.

. . . . . . .

Amy Hubbell is an Algiers resident who writes about people and events in the community. To reach her, call her at 504.322.7479 or send e-mail to amyhubbell@aol.com.

The Algiers Jam Session features active duty Marines stationed at the Naval Support Activity in Algiers, along with anyone else who'd like to sit in.

Ellie