PDA

View Full Version : Too Late?

Alex1990
09-25-08, 02:04 AM
Hello Marines!

I am in the process of filling out my profile as soon as I get this posted, so if you respond very quickly and my profile is not filled out it is because I am in the process of getting it done.

Well my question happens to come to you not as a interested young man thinking about joining the Military, it comes from a man who KNOWS he wants to be in the Military. My whole life I've wanted nothing more than this. Although i'm 18, and 18 years isnt that long compared to some of you with 30+ years under your belts, but I just had a simple question to ask you all.

As it stands right now, I am a DEP in the US Army. I ship out in a few months, and I wanted to know if since I signed my original contract already would I be obligated to join that branch of service? I live in a town where there is no Marine Recruiting Station, only an Army Recruiting Station. Don't get me wrong, I love the Army and every soldier, but I think I would be better suited as a Marine (With a lot of hard work and detication into it before-hand).

If I DEPLOSS, would that be it for me? or is there ways for being able to switch branches, or is it entirley too late?

Sorry for such a long post, I hope my Spelling and Grammar are up to Par, but please help me out with this!

Thanks again Marines!

~Alex

YutYut
09-25-08, 07:11 AM
I can't imagine the Army DEP is much different, if at all, from USMC DEP. I'm pretty sure you have to go to the MEPS station and swear in one more time before you get on the plan/bus/whatever to go to Army basic. If that is the case, you can just "quit" the Army DEP and join the Marine DEP. Is there a USMC recruiting station that you could visit/call anywhere near your town? http://www.marines.com/ should be able to help you out a bit in locating one near your area.

I am not, nor have ever been, a Marine recruiter. There are some running around here who would probably have better gouge for you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-25-08, 02:11 PM
Call a Marine Corps recruiter and let him deal with the Army. If you just drop out of DEP it isn't going to look good. If you allow the recruiters to work together they may be able to get it done in such a way that it won't make you look bad at all.

OB MSG
09-25-08, 03:18 PM
Ok, here's my Army story. (I alluded to it in another post.)

I was in college in 1996 when I thought, "I'm really starting to not like school." I needed a change of pace and I knew I would join the military. So, I went and talked to the Army recruiter. I had an Associates Degree, was physically fits and scored well on the ASVAB, they were trying to get me to Basic ASAP.

Since I was in the middle of a semester I wanted to knock that out first, that way at least the classes were done if not the Bachelor's Degree. So I went to MEPS, went through the screening, and signed a contract to leave Jan 7, 1997 for Ft. McClellan, AL, and swore my first oath. During my time in the DEP I kept active and stayed in touch with my Recruiter, SGT John V. Meadows. Next thing I know, I call in and get a different Recruiter. I had not been told SGT Meadows would be leaving so I asked where he was. Surprisingly I was told that he had been arrested and removed from Recruiter Duty. ( I found out later he broke into the Marine Recruiting office across the hall from them and stole some things. Yup, Dumb@$$!!)

So after that I decided that I didn't want to be in the Army and I told the SNCOIC in the Recruiting office that I wanted out. It caused some heartburn and grumbling, but they let me go.

And the rest is history.....

So, to answer your question. You can get out of it if you haven't sworn your second oath.

Alex1990
09-25-08, 11:04 PM
Roger That.

It is still just an idea at the moment, but I will deffinatley keep you all posted, I plan to talk to a Marine Corps Recruiter tomorrow afternoon.

Alex1990
09-26-08, 03:36 PM
UPDATE:

Contacted a Marine Corps Recruiter, I need to drop about 15-20lbs in order to be able to enlist, and i would have to leave Army DEP in order for me to talk to him in a professional manner. So with that being said, I am going to go hit the pavement for about an hour. Signing off for now,

One Motivated Future POOLee.

ecfree
09-26-08, 04:19 PM
Good luck Alex.
GET ER DONE....:evilgrin:

yellowwing
09-26-08, 04:57 PM
Good going Alex. You're showing signs of guts and fortitude to go for what you really want. Put as much of that as you can in physical training. Start reading everything you can in the Poolee Hall and Ask a Marine.

If your diet needs a shot of will power, think of the Marines Serving in Afghanistan eating out of MRE pouches that would love some of that cake and french fries.

Alex1990
09-26-08, 06:37 PM
Yellowwing, Somthing I thought you should know right now. My entire life i've never eaten healthy at all! well i just got done running 2.5miles and eating my first salad since like 3rd grade! HA! It wasnt half bad!! Not bad for a kid whos 6'4 281 haha.

heres my stats for PT for just a few minutes ago.

1 Mile jog. 8:45
75 sit ups (2 Minutes)
1.5 Mile jog 12:58
62 Push Ups (2 Minutes)
3...almost 4 Pull Ups!

I feel like nothing can stop me.
Well, Thats all for now!
thank you for the support, Marines!

~Alex

yellowwing
09-26-08, 06:53 PM
Yellowwing, Somthing I thought you should know right now. My entire life i've never eaten healthy at all!
~Alex
I do know, I keep telling these poolees I can read their minds! ;)

Alex1990
09-26-08, 07:02 PM
Yellowwing, Maybe we can get a Modd to change ur name to L/Cpl. Cleo!!!

(Refrence to The TV Mind reader Miss Cleo)

All in good fun of course!

yellowwing
09-26-08, 07:04 PM
That's CPL CLEO! :D (and I are a "modd")

Alex1990
09-26-08, 07:09 PM
My Mistake CPL.:scared:!!

Still getting used to Marine Corps rank! Thank you for not making me wish I were never born!

I might just go brush up on it a little bit!

~Alex

Alex1990
09-29-08, 07:57 PM
Here is an update of what happened today, I told my Army Recruiter about my concerns about me DEP Lossing, and he is trying everything to get me to stay with him now, including getting me the job that I wanted, and getting me my promotions for getting people to join. he talked to the CO today and he wants to get me back down to MEPS to do a reno on my paperwork... I didnt think things could get much more complicated, but i was wrong, and now i'm more confused than ever.

~alex

jrhd97
09-29-08, 08:07 PM
Stay focused on what YOU want, not what the Amy tells you you want. If you want to be a MARINE, do what you need to do to become one. Don't waffle on your decision.

Alex1990
09-30-08, 12:08 AM
Jrhd97 I think that is great advice. I thought about this long and hard tonight, and I decided I will tell my recruiter tomorrow that I am going to DEP Loss.

But I still need to lose about 15 pounds to make weight to Enlist in the Marines.

~Highly Motivated Marine Friend signing out!

Sgt Leprechaun
09-30-08, 07:20 AM
Normal for the recruiter to do that. He's just trying to keep you around.

Now, if you DEPLOSS, how is that going to affect you enlisting in the Marine Corps? If it is only a delay and not anything else, then, fine, you can use that time to get into the shape you need to be in.

Keep checking in here for motivation daily while you do your PT. Don't quit, don't give up, and keep truckin.

Alex1990
09-30-08, 09:34 AM
Aye, Sgt. That I can do, with no hesitation! As for the delay in my enlisting in the Marine Corps, do you happen to know how long it can be delayed for?

~ Inquizitive Marine Friend Signing Out!

Sgt Leprechaun
09-30-08, 09:50 AM
Only the recruiter can give you the straight scoop on that issue.

Alex1990
09-30-08, 09:58 AM
Understood, I had just been wondering if It would have mixed results for different people. I will find out the answer later today and report back with what is going on.

Thanks again Sgt. Leprechaun!

~Alex