PDA

View Full Version : Hi, just some questions

Yusuf
09-24-08, 05:22 PM
Hi everyone. I'm a sophomore in high school right now and am strongly interested in the military after college. I am looking into a few officer positions, like tank, infantry, or engineer officer. what i would like to know is what is life during active duty for these positions. if i were to be deployed, would i be close to combat with the NCOs? any info is appreciated! oh also, i've read that MOSs are not guaranteed, so what are my chances of getting what i want/?

thanks in advance!

Mikewebe
09-24-08, 05:28 PM
I believe in OCS the higher you score the better your chances of choosing your field. But I am not sure. As far as how close you are to your NCO's in combat is up to you. Your leadership style is what will dictate much of that.

rvillac2
09-24-08, 06:53 PM
MOS selection for officers is completely different than enlisted. Some officers get contracts for aviation and law, but the rest get theirs according to their performance at TBS.
Another thread on this forum explained that the class is ranked according to their performance and then split into thirds. The top officers in each third get their first choice of MOS and then the rest gets distributed according to other factors. This is to keep the distribution of talent even among the MOS's.

imajarhed
09-24-08, 10:53 PM
MOS selection for officers is completely different than enlisted. Some officers get contracts for aviation and law, but the rest get theirs according to their performance at TBS.
Another thread on this forum explained that the class is ranked according to their performance and then split into thirds. The top officers in each third get their first choice of MOS and then the rest gets distributed according to other factors. This is to keep the distribution of talent even among the MOS's.

My Lt. told me that when he made it through, they were excepting volunteers for Infantry Officers. He said their logic was if that was your goal then you would more than likely have a better attitude about it than if you washed out after hoping to kick the tires and light the fires in Flight School down in Pensacola...

Whatever you do, put it in a contract and you will have a better chance at getting what you want.

Just remember... Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

imajarhed
09-24-08, 11:15 PM
Hi everyone. I'm a sophomore in high school right now and am strongly interested in the military after college. I am looking into a few officer positions, like tank, infantry, or engineer officer. what i would like to know is what is life during active duty for these positions. if i were to be deployed, would i be close to combat with the NCOs? any info is appreciated! oh also, i've read that MOSs are not guaranteed, so what are my chances of getting what i want/?

thanks in advance!

I'm a boot to everything but Infantry and this opinion is toward a combat environment. My Lt. was stellar and we would follow him anywhere. Because of that, we would give everything to carry out his orders whether we understood them or not because we knew he wasn't just playing Patton. He was on the line with us every chance he got. He preferred the hands on approach and didn't care much for the administrative crap in the rear while others seemed thrived on that side of it. The closer you are to your troops the better the perspective you will have. Not all take that approach and it will depend on your leadership style.

Yusuf
09-25-08, 04:31 PM
thanks for the quick answers. so as an officer, i would be with my men? thats good cause i would really prefer that. thanks for the answers!

YutYut
09-25-08, 06:01 PM
I'm sure imajarhed or someone else smarter than me about infantry will know better, but to my understanding, you're with the troops for the first 8-ish years of your officer career. As you move up the ranks, you move further and further away from the hard-charging NCO's. This was gouge from a couple of Army officer types, so it may not be entirely accurate