PDA

View Full Version : Off to England/ Afghanistan

MyCorps
09-24-08, 02:18 PM
Well, just got word today. In six weeks I am going to England to work with the Royal Marines for 4 months then off with them to Afghanistan. Anyone here worked with them before? I am very excited about this. This will be my 3rd tour in Afghanistan.

Mikewebe
09-24-08, 02:27 PM
I never worked with them but I was around quite a few in Bosnia and Bahrain. Good men. I was around guys from 22 Commando. Good times. Good luck to you Sir and stay safe.

2ndCEBSupply
09-24-08, 02:27 PM
They like to drink and fight in their own ranks i met a couple for a few days they came to Lejeune on ship and were not allowed off base they hanged around the PX and talked funny i saw two of them fighting each other on the side of the road while the third one watched i pulled over smoked a cigaret and watched then i went back to the shop chow was almost over i didnt want to be the last one back. Have fun in Afghan the winter sucks u should be there by then bundle up.

DOWORK1
09-24-08, 02:29 PM
<object width="425" height="344">Haven't worked with them, but I am going to Afghanistan soon as well. Semper Fi.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5f8mG4KvqMw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Osotogary
09-24-08, 03:05 PM
My Corps,
Weather this time of year in Afghanistan or areas thereabouts? Severe? One thing my son told me was that the unscented aloe cream or balm that I sent him came in handy to help combat frost bite. I also sent him some real sugar cane from Florida; the Marines really seemed to enjoy the cane. If there is anything that you can think of that I can send you let me know and I will do the best that I can to get it to you. Take care of your Marines, as I know you will. Absorb your experience and learn from it.

Mikewebe
09-24-08, 03:09 PM
Osotogary that was a touching post thanks for your work and concern,

Mike

amarine0311
09-24-08, 03:39 PM
Good luck, Sir. Send us some pictures if you can.
Stay away from the kidney pies!!!

jrhd97
09-24-08, 03:43 PM
Good Luck!

Crusader20
09-24-08, 04:08 PM
Semper Fi!

usmc0331
09-24-08, 04:28 PM
Well, just got word today. In six weeks I am going to England to work with the Royal Marines for 4 months then off with them to Afghanistan. Anyone here worked with them before? I am very excited about this. This will be my 3rd tour in Afghanistan.

that will be a cool experience. we had some down when I was at lejune during field ops. they were nasty.

Some ppl say the are squared away, well trained blah blah blah we didnt see that at all

griffsigsRM
09-25-08, 02:17 PM
From a former Royal Marine, the best of luck for your future tour, you will be looked after, the level of commradeship and care for your fellow marine is second to none.

Per Mare Per Terram

Griff

AL49BGN
09-25-08, 02:36 PM
Good luck Cpt!Our thoughts and prayers will be with you sir.

YutYut
09-25-08, 03:55 PM
Good luck over there sir! If you get the chance and OPSEC allows, do share some pics/vids.

thewookie
09-25-08, 04:27 PM
I spent a month across the pond training with them in London and Scotland, and then they came over for a month to train with us. My opinion of them is that of much respect. They party hard, fight hard, and generally speaking they're a great bunch of Marines. Whatever you do, Sir, don't go into a bar with them and yell "Naked Bar" because you might be shocked.

Semper Fi and be safe.

ErikHeiker
09-26-08, 01:07 AM
My Corps,
Weather this time of year in Afghanistan or areas thereabouts? Severe? One thing my son told me was that the unscented aloe cream or balm that I sent him came in handy to help combat frost bite. I also sent him some real sugar cane from Florida; the Marines really seemed to enjoy the cane. If there is anything that you can think of that I can send you let me know and I will do the best that I can to get it to you. Take care of your Marines, as I know you will. Absorb your experience and learn from it.

There is snow at Bagram in the winter, but I believe most of the Marines are in the south west part of the country. Kandahar was warm in the daytime, even in winter. We never stayed overnight at Kandahar, but it probably gets a little chilly at night. Never saw any snow there, though.

Osotogary
09-26-08, 08:10 PM
Sgt. Heiker,
My references on this matter, cold weather and frostbite, goes back to the year 2004 when 2/8 (see below) was given a mission centrally located around the Bagram area. Since I really didn't know, or want to know, where exactly the good Officer, Captain "MyCorps", would be assigned, I thought my input might be of some value, or cause for thought, regardless of final destination.

2/8 Marines join the Bagram team
In-Depth Coverage Marine Corps News

Release Date: 3/18/2004

Story by Army Staff Sgt. Johnny A. Thompson

BAGRAM, Afghanistan(December 12, 2003) -- As the quest to kill, capture and deny sanctuary to al Queda and Taliban militants increases in Afghanistan, so increases the number of the coalition force troops here.
Deployed to Bagram Air Base to support the efforts of Combined Joint Task Force-180, Nov. 28, the 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment of the 2nd Marine Division officially joined the fight in a nation's plight to rid itself of an axis of evil.
"We're here to support CJTF-180 in whatever way that want us to serve," said 1st Lt. Ricardo Medal, adjutant for 2nd Bn., 8th Marines. "We are an infantry unit so we provide ground movement capability. We are another asset available (for CJTF-180 in) this region."
The unit, based out of Camp Lejeune, N.C., consists of three infantry companies, one weapon company, and a headquarters and services company.
"We bring a combat-trained, maneuver ground unit with a lot of firing power and military discipline to the CJTF-180(campaign)," said Sgt. Maj. William Wuires, of 2nd Bn., 8th Marines. "We are well trained and ready to engage and mission assigned."
The 2nd Bn.,8th Marines, is not the first Marine unit to take part in the mission of ridding Afghanistan of a terrorist regime, Task Force-58 served here in the initial campaign of Operation Enduring Freedom; however, what does make the unit's presence pertinent is that it is the first active duty unit here since the wages of war (Sept. 11) began two years ago.
"We are the first active duty Marines to be in Afghanistan since 2001 campaign," said Medal. " There have been Marines here supporting the CJTF-180 mission before, but they were reservist, so this is a chance for us to establish an active duty Marine presence(in the coalition campaign) and build a relationship with the coalition forces and the people of Afghanistan."
"This is where it all started." Said Lt. Col. Robert Petit, battalion commander of 2nd Bn., 8th Marines, as he spoke about Operation Enduring Freedom, "and this where the threat still lies, so we are excited about being here to contribute to CJTF-180 and help accomplish its mission."
Though the unit is excited about being in the region where the fight began, that excitement does not come from the anticipation of fighting rebel forces; it comes from having already been battle tested. " We were in Iraq from January to June conducting operations, so we bring in wealth of knowledge and experience because) we have already been in a combat environment," said Petit. "We just came out of a coalition [mission] four months ago, so we bring that sense of understanding and confidence (to the campaign)."
Squires noted that 95 percent of the unit served in Iraq campaign, so "we want to set the standards for any mission (CJTF-180) assigns us."
Though 2nd Bn., 8th Marines, has only been in the fight for two weeks, they completely comprehend the CJTF-180 mission--a free and diplomatic Afghanistan--and are ready to undertake the mission as if it were orchestrated by themselves personally.
"We are here to win the fight and anything less than that isn't an option; failure is not a choice." said Petit. "No one said (the War on Terrorism) was going to be easy, but it is our call to duty and the sooner we take it to these (rebel forces) the sooner we can go home."

griffsigsRM
09-29-08, 01:17 PM
The Royal Marines serve in Helmand Province for the majority of the time in Afganistan, currently they are taking over the command of the area as well as the patrolling of the province.

griffsigsRM
09-30-08, 12:15 PM
42 Commando Royal Marines left the UK this morning for Afganistan along with medics and other support. This time they are not being based in Helmand Province bit will be centrally based to be used wherever they are needed. Good luck to them all and wishing a safe return.