PDA

View Full Version : Probably disqualified, what should/can I do??

river17
09-24-08, 01:49 PM
Hello all, I am 17 and very interested in joining the USMC once I graduate from high-school, but I am worried that I am disqualified. A year ago, I went through a depressive episode and ended up cutting myself as a form of emotional release (stupid, I know). However, it was a temporary thing and I am totally fine now. I have done some research and found army regulation 40-501 which someone said applied to the marines as well. It says that a history of self-mutilation is "disqualifying". However, I found a discussion on this forum from last year from someone in a similar circumstance and everyone seemed to think that she could get a waiver.

So, what exactly does "disqualifying" mean?
Do I have a chance at a waiver?

Plus, just some of my thoughts. It seems to me that drug use is as much of a "self-mutilating" behavior as simply cutting. There seem to be many similarities as to why someone would start either of them, emotional release, escape from reality, calming effects. Why do they accept past histories of one and not the other?

Anyway, thanks for your service to the country and your time answering or just reading my post.

Mikewebe
09-24-08, 01:53 PM
Just go and feel your recruiter out on the subject, or go to another branch ask them before you talk to a Marine recruiter to find out the real answers, then form a plan from there. Good luck.

AL49BGN
09-24-08, 02:02 PM
There just some things that cannot be overcome and I strongly believe that this is one.When we are young we make mistakes and it doesn't mean that you can't overcome them and have a great life but it will probably not be in the Corps.I would advise you to speak to a recruiter and give him all the facts do not leave anything out,they will find out in the course of their backgound check.See what they say but I just do not see this being overcomed.Just having thoughts of hurting yourself is hard to overcome.Good luck!

rvillac2
09-24-08, 02:04 PM
The only thing you can do is talk to a recruiter. Everyone's story is different and he'll be the judge of whether you're worth spending time on. Ultimately, he'll have to take you down to MEPS for formal evaluation and then go from there.

river17
09-24-08, 02:08 PM
""Just having thoughts of hurting yourself is hard to overcome.Good luck!""

Yes, I agree however it was a very specific reaction to a specific set of events and I have never felt like doing it again since.

Is there any precedent to judge my case against? Anyone know of anyone who has gotten in with similar problems?

Is there anyway to contact MEPS directly and just ask them straight?

rvillac2
09-24-08, 02:18 PM
""Just having thoughts of hurting yourself is hard to overcome.Good luck!""

Yes, I agree however it was a very specific reaction to a specific set of events and I have never felt like doing it again since.

Is there any precedent to judge my case against? Anyone know of anyone who has gotten in with similar problems?

Is there anyway to contact MEPS directly and just ask them straight?

You are not going to get the answers to your specific case on this forum. As I said, everyone's story is different. You just have to enter the process and see where it goes. If you don't, you simply do not want it bad enough.

AL49BGN
09-24-08, 03:07 PM
You need to talk to a Recruiter!Like the Marine said everyones story is different.

sparkie
09-24-08, 08:00 PM
Shet, boy, If you don't like the first recruter,,,,, cut him and find another. Some things you choose, you live with. But,,,,, As my bros said, ask your recruter........

SGT7477
09-24-08, 08:12 PM
Cut and run Sparkie,lmfao?

river17
09-25-08, 08:58 PM
Hey, I just want to thank all of you for not beating around the bush with this. I talked to my recruiter and everything should work out.

Thanks

rvillac2
09-25-08, 10:38 PM
Excellent, get some.

bootlace15
09-26-08, 12:54 AM
well,well. I tend to not pull any punches and speak from the heart. Since you tried to off yourself once that thought will never leave your mind. You may have had help from a doctor or what ever,but its still there. The training for boot camp is the hardest thing you will ever have to do,the pups in here think they know what they will be getting,but until they get there thats when the sh!t hits the fan. There will be days when you will ask yourself what the helll did I do this for? Then again there will be days that you say to your self,this aint so bad,I'm glad I did it.

There are some recruits that can handle it and there are some that take their own way out. IT'S A FACT!!!!!!!!! You will see crap and hear crap that you have never ever heard before. Trust me we know. Then if you do battle,and see actual death how you gonna act? It aint no tv movie once you hit those yellow foot prints,its the real deal. If you think your man enough to put up with it,be truthful and check with your recruiter,other wise pick another direction in your life.

Think about the safety of yourself and all the men around you.

bootlace15 out