View Full Version : Marines invent energy-boosting smokeless tobacco

thedrifter
09-24-08, 07:06 AM
Marines invent energy-boosting smokeless tobacco

By Ian B. Murphy
GateHouse News Service
Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 02:49 PM
Lexington, Mass. —

A Lexington marine who joined the corps at 30 has created a new tobacco product to keep on-duty soldiers alert.

Cpl. Matthew Doran, 34, along with his friend Cpl. Steven Rundel, 26, created Revved Up, a new smokeless tobacco infused with energy elements, similar to Red Bull.

Doran said the inspiration for Revved Up came to them while waiting in line at a base convenience store where they are stationed in Beaufort, S.C. While in line, Doran commented on a smokeless tobacco contained that labeled itself as waterproof, and featured a woman in a bathing suit on the cover.
Doran turned to Rundel and said, “What’s next, energy dip?”

He said as soon as it came out of his mouth, they knew it was a Eureka moment.

“There were two marines in line [in front of us] with energy drinks and smokeless tobacco, and we said, ‘this all makes too much sense,’” Doran said.

The two marines went back to their bunks and called a patent attorney. One hour and $75 dollars later, they had a provisional patent.

After unsuccessfully pitching the idea to the CEO of U.S. Tobacco, Doran and Rundel posted the idea to an Internet forum for smokeless tobacco users.

“Within four hours of the post we were contacted by someone from the tobacco industry, and we knew we had something,” Doran said.

Doran liquidated his cleaning business and financed a trip to a tobacco trade show in Las Vegas, where he met a tobacco businessman, Soo Baek. Baek connected the marines with Southern Smokeless Tobacco Company, out of Statesboro, Ga., and Doran said they hope to unveil the product next month.

He said Revved Up has been well received by the smokeless tobacco users at his base. He recognizes the health risks in using smokeless tobacco, and said his product is not to get people to start using.

“We do not look at it as trying to convert people to chew tobacco,” Doran said. “What we’re doing is giving our fellow troops … when they’re in combat, they’re doing it anyways because they’re not smoking as much. We’re giving them a better product that will keep them more alert, and may ultimately save their lives. They need this, and they want this.”

Doran said his product has 65 percent less carcinogens when compared to other smokeless tobacco, something he considers one of Revved Up’s biggest selling points.

Revved Up and Doran made the front page of the Sept. 15 edition of the Marine Corps Times. The article graces the same page as stories about tattoos, rocket launchers, and the Corps’ plans for a new squad automatic weapon.

Doran joined the Marines at 30 years old; he had to get a major to sign off on his recruitment because of his age. Doran, a Lexington High School graduate, said he was searching for something in his life, and found it in the Marine Corps.

“It’s the best thing I’ve ever done in my entire life,” Doran said. “The marine corps is the best organization; they have the best fundamentals, leadership qualities, and discipline they could instill on everybody. I know it’s a tough organization, but you can’t learn this stuff anywhere but the Marine Corps. I’d recommend it to anybody.”

Doran’s brother, Mike, said he was apprehensive at first about his brother joining the Marine Corps, but now that he’s seen the results, he couldn’t be happier.

“When he first said he was going to do it, I was shocked,” Mike Doran said. “Since he’s done it, I think it’s been the best thing in the world for him. He wanted to start a new career for himself, and the marines offered him that training.”

Doran is stationed on an air base; he works on the forward-looking infrared, or FLIR, laser systems on F-18 jets that help in targeting and radar.
“I think it’s the coolest job ever,” Doran said.

Lexington Minuteman

Ellie

thedrifter
09-29-08, 07:23 AM
Posted on Sun, Sep. 28, 2008 <br />
Marines invent chewing tobacco with a kick for combat conditions <br />
By LEE HILL KAVANAUGH <br />
The Kansas City Star <br />
<br />
The idea came like a bolt. <br />
<br />
Or maybe it came from a...