View Full Version : Lejeune unit to mentor Iraqi forces

thedrifter
09-24-08, 06:07 AM
Lejeune unit to mentor Iraqi forces
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
September 23, 2008 - 11:46PM
JENNIFER HLAD
DAILY NEWS STAFF

The first time Staff Sgt. William Treat deployed to Iraq was in 2003, for the initial invasion. The second time was in 2004, during the push for Fallujah. The third time will be a little different.

Treat left Tuesday for Anbar province, one of about 1,000 Marines deploying this week with 2nd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment. The unit will mentor and supervise Iraqi security forces in Anbar province as they assume responsibility for safety and security in the region, said Lt. Col. Thad Trapp, commanding officer for 2/9.

The work will be different than the full-scale combat Treat experienced in the past, he said, as the Marines try "to slowly but surely turn the country back over to its people."

To prepare, the Marines trained in their core infantry skills, augmented with cultural training, Trapp said.

The deployment is the first for best friends Lance Cpl. Andrew Bruce and Lance Cpl. Ian Turner, both from Pennsylvania. Bruce said he is anxious, excited and upset about leaving loved ones behind, but ready to go do his job.

"We're going to make a difference, I think," he said.

Turner's parents, Twila and James Turner, said they are nervous about their son going to Iraq. But James Turner said he's happy Anbar province has settled down a bit.

"He can tell his grandbabies he was in Iraq," James Turner said.

Ian Turner said he looks forward to seeing a different culture and doing his job, but will miss his two "girls" - his girlfriend, Laura, and his car, a Cobra.

The deployment will be the fourth for Cpl. Pete Wolfe, his third to Iraq. His wife, Linsey Wolfe, said it doesn't get any easier.

"This time's harder, since we've had him," she said, motioning to her 8-month-old son.

Cpl. Elgie Davis Jr. also will be leaving his son - 7-month-old Elgie Davis III - for the first time.

"I'm ready to get it over with," he said. "The sooner we get over there, the sooner we get back."

As the Marines prepared to leave Tuesday afternoon, many ate fast-food hamburgers or pizza, others talked on their cell phones, a few cleaned their rifles and some clung to loved ones. Corpsmen LeAndreum Slaughter, Robert Remington and DeMario Snead sat together leaning against a pile of sea bags, Remington holding his girlfriend tightly.

Slaughter's wife is pregnant with his son and is due in December, he said.

"I am ready to go and come back so I can see my son," he said.

Snead listed the holidays the men will miss while deployed - Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentine's Day.

Remington said he will miss his girlfriend, Aubryonna Woods, who he plans to marry next August.

"I feel scared for the most part," Woods said. "But I love him, and I am supporting him in every way I can. ... I'm proud of him."

The seven-month deployment is the first for 2/9 since it was reactivated in July 2007, and Trapp said the Marines are trained and ready.

"It's been a long time coming," he said. "They've been anticipating this for a long time. .... We're ready to get out the door."

Contact interactive content editor and military reporter Jennifer Hlad at 910-219-8467. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

Ellie