PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Move Question

brian21johansen
09-24-08, 02:18 AM
I'm looking for any information on doing a LAT move from my current MOS 5831-Correctional Officer, to the 03XX field. I was once told that after doing 2 years at your current duty station that you can do a lat move, is there any truth to this?

I wake up every morning both mad and ashamed at myself for not fulfilling my life long dream of being in the infantry. It honestly makes me sick to think that while I enjoy the comforts of being stationed in sunny Southern California my fellow Marines are in foreign countries being shot/killed on a daily basis. I don't necessarily hate my job....I love the Marine Corps more than anything in this world and will do ANY job the Marine Corps wants me to do.....but I feel like I can serve the Marine Corps in a higher capacity if I were an Infantry Marine. Hell, you can't even deploy in my MOS until you are at LEAST a Corporal....and even that is uncommon. Of all the MOS's out there I feel like mine does the least to support any mission of The Marine Corps. All I do is babysit the Marine's who did drugs, went UA or deserted, stole from fellow Marines, not to mention the ones who are sex offenders. It is sad to admit that there are sick individuals in the Marines but it's the truth. Dealing with these criminals is depressing and frustrating....when I go to work I want to see Marines who I can trust not the "dirt bags" that I "babysit" on a daily basis.

Now, the only reason I had this little rant is to emphasize how badly I want to be in the infantry. I'm not some ungrateful Marine who hates his job and is in it for himself. The truth is I am a grateful Marine and want to give up everything I have to serve my Corps and fellow Marines. I am willing to literally give up everything I have and take on a harder lifestyle because this is something I truly believe in. This decision is for the good of the Corps, not myself. Mark my words, if the Corps won't allow me to do a LAT move in this enlistment then so be it. But if all goes as planned I will be an Infantry Marine once my 5 year contract expires and I can reenlist.

I realize that this is a long post for such a short question, but any help would be appreciated. I'm looking on how to do a lat move, when I can do it,how common they are and anybody who has done one before. Thanks for any help.

Kegler300
09-24-08, 04:58 AM
You need to see your career planner for the latest gouge on latmoves, boat spaces, etc.

thewookie
09-24-08, 06:24 AM
I'm looking for any information on doing a LAT move from my current MOS 5831-Correctional Officer, to the 03XX field. I was once told that after doing 2 years at your current duty station that you can do a lat move, is there any truth to this?

I wake up every morning both mad and ashamed at myself for not fulfilling my life long dream of being in the infantry. It honestly makes me sick to think that while I enjoy the comforts of being stationed in sunny Southern California my fellow Marines are in foreign countries being shot/killed on a daily basis. I don't necessarily hate my job....I love the Marine Corps more than anything in this world and will do ANY job the Marine Corps wants me to do.....but I feel like I can serve the Marine Corps in a higher capacity if I were an Infantry Marine. Hell, you can't even deploy in my MOS until you are at LEAST a Corporal....and even that is uncommon. Of all the MOS's out there I feel like mine does the least to support any mission of The Marine Corps. All I do is babysit the Marine's who did drugs, went UA or deserted, stole from fellow Marines, not to mention the ones who are sex offenders. It is sad to admit that there are sick individuals in the Marines but it's the truth. Dealing with these criminals is depressing and frustrating....when I go to work I want to see Marines who I can trust not the "dirt bags" that I "babysit" on a daily basis.

Now, the only reason I had this little rant is to emphasize how badly I want to be in the infantry. I'm not some ungrateful Marine who hates his job and is in it for himself. The truth is I am a grateful Marine and want to give up everything I have to serve my Corps and fellow Marines. I am willing to literally give up everything I have and take on a harder lifestyle because this is something I truly believe in. This decision is for the good of the Corps, not myself. Mark my words, if the Corps won't allow me to do a LAT move in this enlistment then so be it. But if all goes as planned I will be an Infantry Marine once my 5 year contract expires and I can reenlist.

I realize that this is a long post for such a short question, but any help would be appreciated. I'm looking on how to do a lat move, when I can do it,how common they are and anybody who has done one before. Thanks for any help.

I knew a Marine back in my day that I taught CQB with who lat moved from the MP's to the grunts. He actually went to FAST Co., and they OJTed him. Today, they might require SOI, but this guy was locked tight, knew his shiat and was one heck of a Marine. (Semper Fi Cpl Miles wherever you are). So it's doable, but you should be locked on. Don't go down the drain in your MOS waiting for your move because if you are seen as a bird in your MOS, another MOS isn't going take you. Stay locked on, and when you get close to your EAS (not sure how close, your monitor will know better), and you still want it -- then put in for it.

Good Luck, SF.

brian21johansen
09-24-08, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. I can't wait till my time is up to do a lat move but I'm taking advantage of this time. I'm going from being in awesome shape to OUTSTANDING shape and who knows maybe I can use this time to bust my ass and pick up Corporal, which brings me to another thing. Right now there are no openings for Corporal in my MOS and before when there where openings the cutting score was wicked high. I thought the Marines Corps would be all for people deploying....but it seems like my MOS is the least likely to deploy.

What exactly is FAST company all about, I've heard about it but couldn't find much information on what it is or how you get into it. Thanks all for the help.

Enigmatic
09-24-08, 01:18 PM
Fleet Antiterrorism Security Team Companies. There's three of them, all based in Virginia. They're part of Marine Corps Security Force Regiment. Basically, they can rapidly deploy to anywhere in the world to protect national assests. While they're based in Virginia, FAST Platoons are almost always deployed to places like GITMO, Bahrain, Yokuska, Rota and of course Iraq in support of OIF. FAST is also unique in that you deploy with just your platoon, rather than with the whole unit, so at any given time there could be six different platoons from the same company scattered all over the world.

If you're not an NCO or above, you have to be an 03xx to serve with a FAST Company.

brian21johansen
11-25-08, 04:19 PM
Just to let everyone know, I talked to my career planner and was told that a Marine can do a lat move once they have been in the Marine Corps for two years. This is good news for me, because I previously thought that you could only do a lot move after being in your MOS for two years. Hopefully all goes through as planned............

coffeejoejava
11-26-08, 07:02 AM
Every Marine, no matter what job he or she does, fills a vital role in the grand scheme of things. Do you think there would have been an Abu Garhib (sp?) disaster if there had been trained correctional Marines runningthe show instead of the dregs of the Army?
Although you may feel you are not "doing your part", you are. Me? I am sitting on a Navy ship in the shipyards. Waste of time? Yes. Vital to the Marine Corps? DAMNED RIGHT!! If I wasn't here, Gawd knows what the Navy would be doing with all the spaces that the Marines rely on when they board for those 6 month luxury cruises!!!

brian21johansen
11-26-08, 08:55 AM
Every Marine, no matter what job he or she does, fills a vital role in the grand scheme of things. Do you think there would have been an Abu Garhib (sp?) disaster if there had been trained correctional Marines runningthe show instead of the dregs of the Army?
Although you may feel you are not "doing your part", you are. Me? I am sitting on a Navy ship in the shipyards. Waste of time? Yes. Vital to the Marine Corps? DAMNED RIGHT!! If I wasn't here, Gawd knows what the Navy would be doing with all the spaces that the Marines rely on when they board for those 6 month luxury cruises!!!

Sir,

I agree with you 100%. When I first made this post I was a little frustrated for whatever reason but I do realize that somehow someway my job is vital to the Marine Corps. However Sir, I believe that by doing a lat move to infantry I can help the Marine Corps more than I am right now. I don't necessarily hate my job, but I don't see myself reenlisting in this MOS. I want to make the Marine Corps a career, and I honestly don't see it happening in my MOS. I realize that there is a low reenlistment rate for infantry Marines, but I joined the Marine Corps for the reasons that make some people want to get out.

Tinez88
05-10-09, 12:40 AM

You are not the only one that feels that way. I at times look at my self in my shop and say i joined the marines to get out of working a normal 9 hour job... i joined the marines because of everything that we are known for...honor courage and commitment. There are people that i know that are like man this job is so easy i could do this for the next three years... I CANT i rather be out there not knowing what tommorow might bring. I love my marine corps, and yes i am a motivator and hopefully ill be allowed to lat move in two years. Oohrah
PFC Martinez

Marmaduke
07-07-09, 12:49 AM
I heard that Marines are not allowed to lat move to a lower MOS number eg: I would not be able to move from my current MOS 7257 air traffic control to the 0300 field. Any truth to this? I am also interested in lat moving to infantry, but I have no idea if the Marine Corps will let me

marine95
07-07-09, 05:12 AM
I heard that Marines are not allowed to lat move to a lower MOS number eg: I would not be able to move from my current MOS 7257 air traffic control to the 0300 field. Any truth to this? I am also interested in lat moving to infantry, but I have no idea if the Marine Corps will let me

Lat moves are based on spaces available and your qualifications. Scores. Findout the prereq's and hope that your 1st Sgt's don't hold on to the paperwork like mine did back in 2004.

Marmaduke
07-07-09, 09:01 PM
I'm also very torn between the two, I could easily get out of the Marine Corps and make $100,000+, any infantry or anyone who lat moved to infantry have any advice? regrets? any information, would be extremely helpful

William Hardy
07-07-09, 09:55 PM
Understand your desires to go grunt and if you feel strongly about it, do it now while you are young. Infantry is a young man's game. It is the single most used reason for joining the Corps,; but, like others have said, all the jobs are important. Even if you don't play 03, you still may get a chance to feel the excitement. When I was in Nam, I was in Comm, but I had a courier run that ran through some dangerous areas. Everyone was involved in mortar and rocket attacks with the occasional sapper. In Iraq I was assigned to convoy security duty (with the Army National Guard). While I spent 95 percent of my time as the Operations NCO, I still got to spend time out on the road. Every Marine is a riflemen first...In Nam, the guys up the road at 1st MARDIV Comm rotated between patrols and working in the Comm Center. You have to choose if you have a real need to be an 03 full time or not.

Good Luck with your decision.
Gunny H
Retired Old Fart

sapper101
05-14-10, 01:50 PM
if any of you guys have made any progress in the lat move process can you please hook me up on where exactly i can read the regulation. Everytime i ask my career counselor on about lat moving he either cant give me a straight answer or tries to duck the question. He is a good guy that tries to do his job but I'd like to have the reg. printed as ammo when i go back to his office. thanks.

gwamo1
05-17-10, 08:07 AM

What? Who told you this? Why would you believe it? That is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. But like marine95 said, it's all based on what your qualified for and if their are any open boat spaces.

William Hardy
05-17-10, 04:10 PM
It's not that you can't, it is that they may not want you to...
Any Marine with good test scores may be sent to a school...a school which is considered an investment in both time and money. If you are in a MOS which the Corps wants you in, they may say no to the move. Sometimes there may be sufficient numbers of personnel and they just might approve it. When you re-enlist and ask for a laterial move, you may have a stronger position if they want to keep you . . . on the other hand, your record may not warrent any special consideration and you will lack pull from your side of the fence.

I would venture to say that it takes a special person to be an air traffic controller...you have to be sharp and dedicated to perform a job where people lives are in your hands no matter where you are stationed...peace time or war...I would guess that leaving your MOS is going to be next to impossible. It talkes all kinds of jobs and all types of people to make up the Corps...you're probably needed where you are at. A Marine is a Marine, no matter what your MOS.