PDA

View Full Version : Checking in from Ike

jarheadlady
09-23-08, 07:59 PM
Good evening fellow Marines! Ike came and went and left us without power, water or cable. Power came back on Saturday, cable today. We are still on a boil order with water, but all is good. House is unscathed, cant say as much for the neighbors though. Cool thing is, with nothing to do we all hung out and got to know each other. I met another Marine just 3 houses away! Thanks for the prayers! If I knew how to post a picture I would show you the marina about a mile from the house! Talk about tore up!

Semper Fi

yellowwing
09-23-08, 08:04 PM
Alright, Gunny is back! Glad you and yours are safe.

Wyoming
09-23-08, 08:04 PM
Welcome back Teresa.

Glad things are well.

Yep, prayers DO work!!

rb1651
09-23-08, 08:13 PM
Welcome back Gunny!!! :) Happy to hear you came thru okay. (Ya just never know who your neighbors are, da ya?) :flag:

SgtThrasher
09-23-08, 08:43 PM
Glad the power is back on and you're good to go ! I didn't hear about any looting in your area.I have a relative in Houston,a police officer and he said his neighborhood grilled their meat before it went bad and had a lot of fun socializing with people you normally saw only in passing.Collectively they made the best of Ike.Welcome back!

ecfree
09-23-08, 08:45 PM
Hey Gunny,glad your back in one piece my sister.
We weren't worried at all,we knew a little ole storm like IKE couldn't harm you...:D
Any way glad to see your okay..

jetdawgg
09-23-08, 09:09 PM
http://blogs.gelman.gwu.edu/blogs/eckles/files/2008/02/welcome-back-kotter-photograph-c10042001.jpg

Alpha1Devildog
09-23-08, 09:11 PM
Good to have you back Gunny. Is there anything any of us can do to help out?

Marine84
09-24-08, 07:42 AM
Bout damned time you checked in! Glad everybody OK.

MotherGoose
09-24-08, 07:50 AM
Yes, glad to hear you made it through Ike! I was wondering where you have been, good to hear from you.

jrhd97
09-24-08, 07:59 AM
Glad to hear all is well.
We were a little concerned about you, but very concerned about the idiot looter that might decide to enter your area of operations :scared: :devious:

awbrown1462
09-24-08, 08:50 AM
Gald your ok Gunny good luck on the clean up have fun lol

William W Pence
09-24-08, 01:50 PM
Ike's winds tore thru Ohio alsoSomething you won't read in national papers or news broadcasts..mainly because we were'nt hit so hard..2.6 million people in Ohio without power..Ours was out 5 days..Took a day to find a motel that had power for my oxygen concentrator...Semper Fi mtratord

Apache
09-24-08, 02:21 PM
Welcome back Gunney
Glad to hear all the "groups" are still assembled!

I am also in Ohio and we got a little wind in comparison.
5 days with no power
No looting noticed.
Hard getting chow or fuel but not a huge issue

jarheadlady
09-24-08, 04:01 PM
Had to go back and read my post. No looting here, what I meant by unscathed was we didnt get a tree through the house. I have about 20-30 100+ foot pines within falling distance of my home. Neighbors to the right and left had trees come through the roof. We didnt have any problems like that. I just got home from work and am headed to the gym. When I get home tonight I will post a funny down in the political area... a phone call I made to a local radio station the day after the storm. See you all soon! SF and thanks for the welcoming back!

Robert Browell
09-24-08, 06:13 PM
Never a doubt you'd make it through O.K. Semper Fi ! Glad you're back!

Isrowei
09-24-08, 07:48 PM
Glad to hear you're ok and you escaped most of the heavy damage. Welcome back!

Wyoming
09-24-08, 08:45 PM
Glad to hear you're ok and you escaped most of the heavy damage. Welcome back!

OK Gunny, the 'ring knocker' made a nicey.

Your turn.

:D

greybeard
09-26-08, 07:24 AM
I made it thru Ike ok, as did my primary residence--an apt in town, but my 60 acres 8 miles north of town sustained heavy damage due to fallen trees and rain caused flooding. I and wife evacuated to my twin brother's home in Arkansas, 2 days after Ike came thru because of a projected 1-3 week span of no electricity. Power was back on at my apt 8 days later, so we are now back home. Took a buttload of pictures during the morning and afternoon as the back end of the hurricane was blowing thru and a few are posted at the following website:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/059290.html

My twin brother had bought a retirement home back in May 08 at Crystal Beach Texas--on Bolivar Peninsula. It's gone. Not a stick left according to the aerial pictures on the internet.

Could have been worse, we are thankful God spared us from any worse damage or harm.