PDA

View Full Version : Security Clearance.

AaronJM1984
09-23-08, 03:43 PM
Do all MOSs require a security clearance? I realize some are more involved than others. The reason I ask is because my credit is bad. I've spent time discussing this with my recruiter. He says not to worry about it, but I am. I don't want to go to Boot Camp and have some sort of problem arise. My ship date is 20081103. My MOS is going to be Logistics. I guess I am wondering if maybe if possible I should change my MOS to one that doesn't require a secuirty clearance, possible Infantry? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Marines!

Maybe I am just worrying too much, I don't want ANYTHING to ruin my chances. I have every intention of fixing my finances once I get squared away.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-23-08, 03:56 PM
If you need a clearance and can't get one the Marine Corps will move you somewhere that doesn't require one- they're not just going to kick you out or something.

AaronJM1984
09-23-08, 04:03 PM
Thank you for your prompt response sir! I was definately worried that I'd get called aside at Boot Camp and sent on my way. If you know, does Infantry require a Security Clearance? I qualify for almost every job, except that I may have problems getting clearance. My recruiter has offered me many jobs...Logistics being my first pick, Infantry being my second pick. I'd love to go for Infantry if there is no clearance requirements.

SlingerDun
09-23-08, 04:55 PM
Do all MOSs require a security clearance? ...The reason I ask is because my credit is bad.What,
I don't want to go to Boot Camp and have some sort of problem arise...Are,
I guess I am wondering if maybe if possible I should change my MOS to one that doesn't require a secuirty clearance.....definately worried that I'd get called aside at Boot Camp and sent on my way....You,
I qualify for almost every job, except that I may have problems getting clearance...I'd love to go for Infantry if there is no clearance requirements. Hiding.

AaronJM1984
09-24-08, 01:06 PM
Sir, I am not hiding anything. I have bad credit. I've moved around some by myself and have fallen behind on some bills. The work I do now doesn't pay enough to support myself and to pay off my debt. The Marine Corps. is going to allow me to earn many opportunities to better myself, and I am concerned that my credit history will cause problems for me. I don't see a successful future for myself without the Marine Corps. Thank you for your responses Marines.

0231Marine
09-24-08, 01:21 PM
What,Are, You,Hiding.

What the hell are you talking about? The kid told you his issue and was looking for advice so why do you have to suggest he has ulterior motives? If you don't have anything to offer in regards to helpful information, then shut your mouth.

Kegler300
09-24-08, 01:55 PM
When being considered for a security clearance, below is the Adjudicative Guideline for Financial Considerations:

GUIDELINE F: FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS

18. The Concern. Failure or inability to live within one's means, satisfy debts, and meet financial obligations may indicate poor self-control, lack of judgment, or unwillingness to abide by rules and regulations, all of which can raise questions about an individual's reliability, trustworthiness and ability to protect classified information. An individual who is financially overextended is at risk of having to engage in illegal acts to generate funds. Compulsive gambling is a concern as it may lead to financial crimes including espionage. Affluence that cannot be explained by known sources of income is also a security concern. It may indicate proceeds from financially profitable criminal acts.

19. Conditions that could raise a security concern and may be disqualifying include:

(a) inability or unwillingness to satisfy debts;

(b) indebtedness caused by frivolous or irresponsible spending and the absence of any evidence of willingness or intent to pay the debt or establish a realistic plan to pay the debt.

(c) a history of not meeting financial obligations;

(d) deceptive or illegal financial practices such as embezzlement, employee theft, check fraud, income tax evasion, expense account fraud, filing deceptive loan statements, and other intentional financial breaches of trust;

(e) consistent spending beyond one's means, which may be indicated by excessive indebtedness, significant negative cash flow, high debt-to-income ratio, and/or other financial analysis;

(f) financial problems that are linked to drug abuse, alcoholism, gambling problems, or other issues of security concern.

(g) failure to file annual Federal, state, or local income tax returns as required or the fraudulent filing of the same;

(h) unexplained affluence, as shown by a lifestyle or standard of living, increase in net worth, or money transfers that cannot be explained by subject's known legal sources of income;

(i) compulsive or addictive gambling as indicated by an unsuccessful attempt to stop gambling, "chasing losses" (i.e. increasing the bets or returning another day in an effort to get even), concealment of gambling losses, borrowing money to fund gambling or pay gambling debts, family conflict or other problems caused by gambling.

20. Conditions that could mitigate security concerns include:

(a) the behavior happened so long ago, was so infrequent, or occurred under such circumstances that it is unlikely to recur and does not cast doubt on the individual's current reliability, trustworthiness, or good judgment;

(b) the conditions that resulted in the financial problem were largely beyond the person's control (e.g. loss of employment, a business downturn, unexpected medical emergency, or a death, divorce or separation), and the individual acted responsibly under the circumstances;

(c) the person has received or is receiving counseling for the problem and/or there are clear indications that the problem is being resolved or is under control;

(d) the individual initiated a good-faith effort to repay overdue creditors or otherwise resolve debts;

(e) the individual has a reasonable basis to dispute the legitimacy of the past-due debt which is the cause of the problem and provides documented proof to substantiate the basis of the dispute or provides evidence of actions to resolve the issue;

(f) the affluence resulted from a legal source of income.

rvillac2
09-24-08, 02:01 PM
What the hell are you talking about? The kid told you his issue and was looking for advice so why do you have to suggest he has ulterior motives? If you don't have anything to offer in regards to helpful information, then shut your mouth.

The readers will choose what information is helpful to them or not. You don't need to pollute the forum with your commentary on another Marine's reply.

SlingerDun
09-24-08, 04:30 PM
What the hell are you talking about?Oh, well, you see i was probing... mildly reminiscent of how the command and NCIS interrogated me before i was cleared back in the day. Poolee mentions bad credit but is more concerned about a security clearance, so i keyed on it. Sabes? 0231. See how those bill collectors can spook a person?
you don't have anything to offer in regards to helpful information, then shut your mouth.:scared: Hehehehe now jarhead i've heard similar flippant commands before, i ain't new. and It's nowhere as intimidating as a negative credit rating and or failure to clear... and are you positive i was not helpful???

--->Dave

OB MSG
09-24-08, 04:43 PM
Easy, Marines. Let's not start acting stupid.

As for the Poolee: You just need to disclose everything about yourself if you need to get a clearance. I just completed a re-cert for TS and you have to be able to go back ten years. So, just in case, write yourself a ledger of where you have been and who you knew at those places for the last ten years, it will help if you have to do the SF-86.

When you are going through Boot all of your bills are supposed to be put on hold, (Double check that with the recruiter). When you get done with Boot, take what money you have and start paying your bills. Pay them on time and get them cleared. Your credit will improve as your debt is satisfied. Also as you make each payment, as long as it is on time, your credit will improve there as well.

I suggest direct withdrawal or maybe a loan from your bank to pay off all of your debts then you only need to make one payment to the bank. You can over pay the monthly amounts and get it taken care of faster. I did this myself and it worked beautifully.

P.S.: If you have any other questions, you can PM me. Just understand, Marines are a suspicious group, if we smell B.S. we go for the throat.

AaronJM1984
09-24-08, 04:59 PM
I appreciate everyone's responses.

Danman
09-24-08, 05:01 PM
When getting your clearance the best thing you can do is tell the truth, because one of the things they are looking for is to see if you have any integrity and if you are honest and if they find out that you are hiding something then no clearance for you but if you tell them and they find it, then thats different and looks good on your behave.. best thing to do is be straight up with your investigator.

YutYut
09-24-08, 05:52 PM
Danman, that was one EXTREMELY long sentence...

But he's right on...assuming you're not wanted for murder or some goofy sh*t.

AaronJM1984
09-24-08, 06:02 PM
No sir, no murder charges under my belt. My criminal background is squeeky clean.

EvilFrawg
10-02-08, 01:10 PM
No Danman is not correct. Somewhere in the arena of 70-75% of security clearances that are revoked or denied are due to financial problems. Being honest will not make that go away. Plain and simple as a person with bad credit it is very unlikely that you will qualify for MOS's like 02XX or 26XX, however a logistics MOS should be fine.

YutYut
10-02-08, 01:28 PM
Top, is that an accurate percentage? I had horrible credit (many months delinquent on credit cards, VERY low score, etc.) and simply had to draft a "plan" to correct the situation and implement it. The security manager discovered, prior to receiving my "plan", that I had a secret clearance when I checked in. I can't imagine I'm a rare case.

Kegler300
10-02-08, 01:43 PM
If DONCAF has concerns about an individual's credit, or any other issue, when the investigation it turned over to them for adjudication, they will normally issue a Letter of Intent (LOI) to deny eligibility for a security clearance or assignment to a sensitive position. The LOI will have attached to it a Statement of Reasons (SOR) depicting the concerns or issues that the individual will be given the opportunity to mitigate. For example, if the concern is bad credit, outstanding debt, etc., the individual must either pay off the debt, or arrange with the creditor a payment plan to make the loan current, and then obtain a letter from the creditor to substantiate this to forward to DONCAF. In most cases, if the concerns are mitigated to DONCAF's satisfaction, they will issue "conditional" eligibility for the security clearance, meaning that if you have credit issues in the future, they will rescind the conditional eligibility and revoke the security clearance.

krose58
04-28-13, 12:25 PM
Semper Fi, Marine. Thank you for saying that.