PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a wannabee

KearneyJustinD
09-22-08, 09:01 PM
Howya doin Marines? I'm new to this forum (although have been reading the posts for some time). So basically here it is. I'm 16, 17 in november, and will probably be done with high school May, '09. I can do 3 miles in 18 minutes, 21 pullups and 109 crunches (timed) in 2 minutes. I do lift weights every now and then, but really just focus on pushups, pullups, crunches, and running; so I think i'm good for the PFT.
But my main question is in academics and whatnot. I was wondering what I should study? So far what i'm studying and learning by heart is the 11 general orders of a sentry, Core values, rank insignias (pay grades and whatnot), Marine Corps hymn, Rifle Creed, Marine Code of conduct (those 6 articles), and the Characteristics of the M16A4 Assault Rifle.
Is that all I should be studying really? Or is there more to it? I havn't really studied the History of the Corps much, but know stuff such as the Birthday, place, and some key things.
My other question is can anyone confirm this information for me?
http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/Colt_M16A4
I looked around on the forum and cuoldn't find anything on the M16A4 so I posted this question.

I did read the forum rules and used the search tool, but didnt' really find what I needed. Thanks.

rvillac2
09-22-08, 10:03 PM
You need to fill out your profile.

KearneyJustinD
09-22-08, 10:05 PM
Alright I'll fill out my profile now.

sparkie
09-22-08, 10:07 PM
Can you bleed and die??? [ Don't mean to offend ].

KearneyJustinD
09-22-08, 10:17 PM
No offense taken. :)

Profile filled out; not fully, I'll finish it tomorrow morning. I look forward to some answers ;).

By the way, I joined this forum because I like the atmosphere; I tried the ************* forums, but it was full of people that didn't have serious answers. I got annoyed.

Donut Brigade
09-23-08, 12:24 AM
Don't worry about studying knowledge. No, seriously. You'll pass the test in boot and beyond. If you seriously consider about enlisting in a very near future, spend the little time you have on fun stuff (done responsibly, of course).

You'll repeat the rifle creed so many times you'll be able to sing that sh*t every night before bed. You'll repeat your general orders and you M16A2 specs so many times during humps you'll want to lay down and die.

Seriously, keep up your PT routine and don't lose the motivation. You time would be better spent trying to get contract PFC as a poolee (which is much more useful in boot than knowing your GOs).

KearneyJustinD
09-23-08, 07:53 AM
Wow, ok thanks.
Yea PT isn't a problem for me. Only things I worry about is the academics. But since you said not to; I won't. I'll continue studying them, but I guess I'll just keep most of my focus towards getting a perfect 300 :]
When it comes ot crunches in the Marine Corps PFT; do they do real crunches (like barely come off the ground?) or do they do sit up type things? I saw in several videos recruits going with cross arms (fingers pointing at shoulders) and going until they're arms touch their thys. This whole time i've been doing the crunches where you only lift your upper back off the ground... So just some clarification please :)

KearneyJustinD
09-23-08, 08:32 AM
Also, can being scuba certified get me any special benefits or what not? I remember reading from this one guy who was force recon, saying that he had some...scuba certification badge (like the crossed rifles for expert shooter)? Force Recon by the way, is my ultimate goal besides becoming a Mustang :)

0231Marine
09-23-08, 08:59 AM
Also, can being scuba certified get me any special benefits or what not? I remember reading from this one guy who was force recon, saying that he had some...scuba certification badge (like the crossed rifles for expert shooter)? Force Recon by the way, is my ultimate goal besides becoming a Mustang :)

Negative...being scuba certified as a civilian does not get you your scuba bubbles (the badge you're refering to). You have to be accepted and pass the scuba school to get those. Same thing as if you were a certified sky diver/instructor as a civilian. You don't get your jump wings until you get a seat to jump school in Georgia and pass that course.

If you pass the recon indoc and are accepted, you'll get to do both of those courses.

AL49BGN
09-23-08, 09:16 AM
You are on the right track,just enjoy life until you ship out!Civilian certification means squat in the Corps.Keep up the good work,stay motivated and you will do just fine.Good Luck!

imajarhed
09-23-08, 10:03 AM
Wow, ok thanks.
Yea PT isn't a problem for me. Only things I worry about is the academics. But since you said not to; I won't. I'll continue studying them, but I guess I'll just keep most of my focus towards getting a perfect 300 :]
When it comes ot crunches in the Marine Corps PFT; do they do real crunches (like barely come off the ground?) or do they do sit up type things? I saw in several videos recruits going with cross arms (fingers pointing at shoulders) and going until they're arms touch their thys. This whole time i've been doing the crunches where you only lift your upper back off the ground... So just some clarification please :)

A 300 PFT beat me out on Honor Man. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it because he still has my utmost respect and earned it by being a good Guide. But it was between him and me and when I shot company high shooter I got excited thinking that might put me over the top. I had a first class PFT but he ran a 300. At the time only the honor man got the Dress Blues. I had to buy mine.

Keep in shape, stay motivated and just enjoy life as it is for now.

Chumley
09-23-08, 11:07 AM
You're doing all the right things, just stay outta trouble! Keep training and keep learning. Aside from the Marine Corps knowledge, set personal education goals. If you want to be a Mustanger someday, you'll need further education / degree(s). So keep pushing yourself academically. Although we never stop learning, it's a lot harder and usually more expensive to complete your formal education as you get older. Take any college level equivalent courses that you can now while in HS. Enjoy your youth also as you prepare to be a successful person in life.

Good luck!
C

DOWORK1
09-23-08, 11:09 AM
Your definitely going to need to be Scuba and Airborne qualified to attend boot for sure.

KearneyJustinD
09-23-08, 11:11 AM
A 300 PFT beat me out on Honor Man. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it because he still has my utmost respect and earned it by being a good Guide. But it was between him and me and when I shot company high shooter I got excited thinking that might put me over the top. I had a first class PFT but he ran a 300. At the time only the honor man got the Dress Blues. I had to buy mine.

Keep in shape, stay motivated and just enjoy life as it is for now.

I didn't really understand your post here. All I could comprehend was something about an honor man :P Could you try to elaborate a bit more please?

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

AL49BGN
09-23-08, 11:11 AM
Your definitely going to need to be Scuba and Airborne qualified to attend boot for sure.
FUNNY STUFF!!!:thumbup:

KearneyJustinD
09-23-08, 11:14 AM

Boot for what? Basic training? Are you being sarcastic (doesn't offend me if you are ;))?
But yea, I'm scuba certified; not skydiving though.

I have another question...
Right now I'm a resident of the Bahamas although born and raised in the U.S.
My question is- Should I move back with my mom in Orlando before I enlist to make things easier? Or is it possible to be recruited from over here?

FYI: I put AUTEC as the city I live in on my profile which is incorrect. AUTEC stands for Atlantic Underwater Test and Evaluation Center. It's a Navy base over here in the Bahamas.

0231Marine
09-23-08, 12:17 PM
Boot for what? Basic training? Are you being sarcastic (doesn't offend me if you are ;))?
But yea, I'm scuba certified; not skydiving though.

I have another question...
Right now I'm a resident of the Bahamas although born and raised in the U.S.
My question is- Should I move back with my mom in Orlando before I enlist to make things easier? Or is it possible to be recruited from over here?

FYI: I put AUTEC as the city I live in on my profile which is incorrect. AUTEC stands for Atlantic Underwater Test and Evaluation Center. It's a Navy base over here in the Bahamas.

He was being sarcastic. You have no need for those things in boot camp.

I'm not going to even guess at which would be easier regarding the home of record issue although if you're living on a military base which I assume you are, there really shouldn't be any issues with that. It's a plane ticket to Paris Island same as someone living in the states.

For future reference, it's called Boot Camp in the Marine Corps...Basic Training is Army. :)

KearneyJustinD
09-23-08, 12:27 PM
He was being sarcastic. You have no need for those things in boot camp.

I'm not going to even guess at which would be easier regarding the home of record issue although if you're living on a military base which I assume you are, there really shouldn't be any issues with that. It's a plane ticket to Paris Island same as someone living in the states.

For future reference, it's called Boot Camp in the Marine Corps...Basic Training is Army. :)

Yea Iknew it was either basic or boot; couldn't remember which.

KearneyJustinD
09-23-08, 05:41 PM
Hey Guys; I dunno if there is a technical section, but why can't I post replies in other people's threads? I have questions and statements fitting for their thread, so I don't want ot make a new one and get yelled at ;)
It says my profile is awaiting approval, or an admin has canceled my profile.
But I can still reply to my own thread.
Was there somehting in the rules I missed?
Maybe only Marines can respond in this section of the forums?

Mikewebe
09-23-08, 06:06 PM
Learn land nav and call for fire.

rvillac2
09-23-08, 06:42 PM
Hey Guys; I dunno if there is a technical section, but why can't I post replies in other people's threads? I have questions and statements fitting for their thread, so I don't want ot make a new one and get yelled at ;)

Only Marines can reply to threads in this section. You can only post onto your own thread. Make sure you read the "Read this before posting" post at the top of this board. If you follow those guidelines, you won't get yelled at for posting anything.

KearneyJustinD
09-23-08, 07:41 PM
Learn land nav and call for fire.

I'll go find out what that is right now. Thanks :)

SGT7477
09-23-08, 07:52 PM

Instead of hey guys, Marines is what we are.:evilgrin:

sparkie
09-23-08, 07:54 PM
Lmfao,,,,,,,,,

KearneyJustinD
09-23-08, 08:02 PM
Instead of hey guys, Marines is what we are.:evilgrin:

Yes sir, Sorry sir. :P

Phantom Blooper
09-23-08, 08:03 PM
If you are in good physical shape and you are not to sure of the academic part I would suggest to start reading through the threads in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine...there is a host and wealth of knowledge in both these forums...you may have to bypass some threads to get the answer you want. If after reading and searching the forums and can't find an answer the Marines are more than willing to provide answers or point you in the right direction. Good luck!

As far as Bahamas to Florida are you a US citizen? Do you have dual citizenship? Do you stay out of the country more than 6 months per year? Your best bet would be to come back to the states and contact a recruiter.Again contact this Sgt. slimmy07 through PM he may be able to point you in the right direction.Good luck!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=53483

KearneyJustinD
09-23-08, 08:30 PM
If you are in good physical shape and you are not to sure of the academic part I would suggest to start reading through the threads in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine...there is a host and wealth of knowledge in both these forums...you may have to bypass some threads to get the answer you want. If after reading and searching the forums and can't find an answer the Marines are more than willing to provide answers or point you in the right direction. Good luck!

As far as Bahamas to Florida are you a US citizen? Do you have dual citizenship? Do you stay out of the country more than 6 months per year? Your best bet would be to come back to the states and contact a recruiter.Again contact this Sgt. slimmy07 through PM he may be able to point you in the right direction.Good luck!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=53483

I was born and raised in the U.S.
I just moved here (Navy Base) in August 2007. I havn't been here more than 6 months without visiting the U.S.
So technically i'm a Bahamas resident, but U.S. Citizen.
and I still have the option of going ot orlando and livin with my mom for a week or w/e before I enlist.

DOWORK1
09-24-08, 12:11 AM
Yes sir, Sorry sir. :P

I don't think there are any officers here? Sir is for a Officer and Marine is for enlisted. If you are already a Marine you can address someone by their rank like me..Lcpl Dowork1 or Sgt Dallas..get it? Most Marines who are Pvt-Lcpl will address eachother by their last name. Now you learned one more thing that will help you in boot!

KearneyJustinD
09-24-08, 09:13 AM
I don't think there are any officers here? Sir is for a Officer and Marine is for enlisted. If you are already a Marine you can address someone by their rank like me..Lcpl Dowork1 or Sgt Dallas..get it? Most Marines who are Pvt-Lcpl will address eachother by their last name. Now you learned one more thing that will help you in boot!

Yea I thought about that when I wrote it; but in boot don't you call all the DI's sir anyway? and once you earn the Marine title then you call them by rank?

AL49BGN
09-24-08, 09:33 AM
Yea I thought about that when I wrote it; but in boot don't you call all the DI's sir anyway? and once you earn the Marine title then you call them by rank?
If you live on a Navy Base then you are still on U.S.soil.You also do call your Drill Instructors sir in Boot Camp.

rvillac2
09-24-08, 10:17 AM

For now, you will not go wrong addressing enlisted Marines by rank. You will call them sir in boot camp, but there are a lot of things you'll be doing in bootcamp that are just silly to do when you're not there. So, until you go, you don't need to salute the mailbox, either.

Enigmatic
09-24-08, 10:33 AM
Like everyone's said, you're doing the right things. Stay in shape and keep your nose clean and you'll be fine. There's way too many things about boot camp that you just couldn't comprehend unless you've been there. As for the "academic" part or knowledge as we like to call it, it's good to know a few things before you go but you really won't have much of a head start from the ones who don't know anything. Just pay attention whenever theres any periods of intstruction conducted by the DIs.
Try to focus on developing good leadership traits and being an effective leader so you can have a shot at being a squad leader or even the guide for your platoon.

Just remember, if you wanna stand out in boot camp make sure you stand out in a good way, otherwise you can just stand by..... good luck

KearneyJustinD
09-24-08, 12:04 PM
Like everyone's said, you're doing the right things. Stay in shape and keep your nose clean and you'll be fine. There's way too many things about boot camp that you just couldn't comprehend unless you've been there. As for the "academic" part or knowledge as we like to call it, it's good to know a few things before you go but you really won't have much of a head start from the ones who don't know anything. Just pay attention whenever theres any periods of intstruction conducted by the DIs.
Try to focus on developing good leadership traits and being an effective leader so you can have a shot at being a squad leader or even the guide for your platoon.

Just remember, if you wanna stand out in boot camp make sure you stand out in a good way, otherwise you can just stand by..... good luck

I've always wondered about that;
I haven't had the privelage of being part of an ROTC class. This is a very small school and base.
That being said, would I still be able to become a squad leader out of boot? How does one go about become a squad leader out of boot? Do you have to do beyond good on everything in boot?
I thought only people with about 2 years of ROTC could become high enough ranks in boot to even be considered for the squad leader position...

SGT7477
09-24-08, 07:20 PM

Very true Marine but I have to tell you the local Marine recruiter who is a SSGT calls me sir and I told him there is no need for that but he thanked me for serving before him which has made it easier for him,his words,oh well,lmfao.:flag:

Phantom Blooper
09-24-08, 07:38 PM
KearneyJustinD:

Have you done a search in the Poolee Forum or the Ask A Marine Forum before you ask these questions?

Questions are a valuable resource and we don't mind answering the questions as long as they are not repetitive and bordering on redundancy.

In the fore mentioned threads the answers to your questions are there. If for some reason they do not answer your question then ask for clarification. However it would behoove you to read the threads or put a word into search and see if you can find an answer.

The search button is your friend!:evilgrin:

Enigmatic
09-25-08, 10:13 AM
You don't become a squad leader "out of boot", it's a position you hold while in recruit training. A squad leader in recruit training is still a recruit, they aren't any higher ranking than the...

KearneyJustinD
09-25-08, 11:49 AM
That helps! <br />
Thanks alot :D