PDA

View Full Version : Yet another parent post

Do-Or-Die
09-22-08, 05:56 PM
OK, so, I thought that I had succeded in my mission to join DEP when I some how convinced my mother to let me join. My father, being an ex-Marine, was all for it, so I guess I owe it to him, but now I have a new issue.

At first, I promised my father that I would join a field that I could get some technical expirience out of for when I leave the Marines. I was just so gung-ho about signing up I didn't really care what field I went into and didn't think it through. Well, now I am starting to come to realization that all my life I have wanted to be an 03xx, it's not that I think any less of the other fields, because a Marine is a Marine in my eyes, it's as simple as that. My father, being an ex-0351 Anti-Tank Assaultman knows all about the grunt lifestyle. I can not tell you how many times I heard "PJ, when I got out, I remember just driving up and down Rt 114 looking for tanks to blow up, it was hard adjusting to the civilian world". My father did very well in the Corps, recieving 3 out of 4 promotions meritoriously, but I guess he just doesn't want me to be in the same possition as he was.

What I am going to try to do is explain to him in some way my passion to be a Marine, and that 03xx is just what has always appealled to me. But at this point, it really doesn't seem I am going to get his blessing on this.

In the end, I do not need his permition to sign my contract, because I will be 18 by the time I do, in a few weeks, but I still feel it wouldn't serve him justly, as he is a major inspiration to why I wanted to join.

Anyone have any tips? Keep in mind this is a hard-a$$ devil dog I'm trying to persuade.

Do-Or-Die
09-22-08, 06:07 PM
Im sorry, I can't edit, but my father was a 0352 not 0351 my mistake.

Garrett90
09-22-08, 10:46 PM
I bet if you asked him, your father would tell you he is not an "Ex-Marine" either. Bad mistake

Do-Or-Die
09-22-08, 10:53 PM
Look, don't question the amount of respect I have for my father, if you dont have any helpful advice on this situation then dont talk at all.

If you are that annoyed by my mistake PM me and I will fix it.

E5NAMKROW
09-22-08, 11:06 PM
Give it to him straight up, Both men and Marines prefer the direct approach. And the worst thing that could happen....You have to wait till your 18 to make the final decision. Good luck. There is no easy answer for you, just that one. He will or won't go for it. You have to deal with and respect his decision either way. You sound like you have a reasonable head on your shoulders. Once again, good luck.

bootlace15
09-23-08, 12:40 AM
I agree with NAM,just tell him straight up. Your big enough to hunt bear with a switch,I think you will be suprised by what your father has to say.

bootlace15 out

GOOD LUCK

Garrett90
09-23-08, 02:17 AM
HAHA where does this respect thing come from? I don't recall implying you have no respect for your father, dumb@ss. I know that MY father gets very irate when someone refers to him as being an "Ex-Marine," and if your dad is a "hard ass" Devil Dog, then I know he will feel the same. If your wanting to be a Marine, then I suggest calling past Marines something that they prefer, not something they get annoyed with. Leave the incorrect name calling to people who don't give two sh1ts. We are busted here for improper grammar, showing respect where respect is due, and following any other mannered rules set for us, why not start breaking bad habits too, like calling a past Marine an Ex-Marine......makes sense to me there buddy.

Patriot34
09-23-08, 09:21 AM
Tell him what you want to do. If he is really a former Marine He'll sign.

Do-Or-Die
09-23-08, 08:56 PM
Thank you everyone, I'm going to call my father tommorow night. I will keep you posted.

Do-Or-Die
09-23-08, 09:00 PM
"HAHA where does this respect thing come from? I don't recall implying you have no respect for your father, dumb@ss"

Oh I didn't realize you weren't trying to point out my disrespect for my father... my bad.

"We are busted here for improper grammar, showing respect where respect is due"

Never mind, my mistake.

..... dumb ass

DGardner
09-23-08, 10:29 PM
In the end, I do not need his permition to sign my contract, because I will be 18 by the time I do, in a few weeks.

I may be reading this wrong but...

you haven't signed a contract yet... so your not a poolee?
-Gardner

Spears
09-23-08, 10:52 PM
what i believe he is saying is that he enlisted on an open contract, and hasn't selected an MOS field yet. clear it up Gardner?

Garrett90
09-23-08, 11:00 PM
Ha, this guy.

Do-Or-Die
09-24-08, 06:51 PM
Well, turns out my Dad doesn't really care where I go, he's just happy that I'm joingin the Corps. I can't explain how relieved I am and how motivated.

Counting down the days to Parris Island

Isrowei
09-24-08, 07:17 PM
Glad to hear it Paul.

Garrett, do I need to watch for you when you here? It won't be hard to find you with that big clover leaf stenciled on your back. I suggest you take a sincere interest in listening to what the Marines here have to say, including when to know your place and shut the hell up.

Garrett90
09-24-08, 11:02 PM
Where have I disrespected a Marine? I made no remarks towards any Marine in this thread. Growing up with a Marine father, I'll be the first to give all respect to any Marine, so I showed no disrespect towards any on here. All of my posts were towards Do-or-Die. My father thinks its disrespect to call a Marine an "Ex-Marine," so I took THAT, as a sign of disrespect to any and all Marines, past or present. Therefore, I informed him that "Ex-Marine" is not the proper name to call a past Marine, so its not wise to use it...

Isrowei
09-25-08, 06:44 AM
Garrett, either you're stupid or your recruiters aren't giving you good gouge. I DON'T GIVE A FLYING F**K ABOUT YOUR EXCUSES.

I'm going to assume you're just not bright because I think recruiters do their job pretty well.

First, I said you should listen to what you're told. That would include the TWO messages you had deleted. I did not say you directly disrespected a Marine, until now. I would argue that willfully ignoring instruction is disrespect however. Somehow, I bet your father would agree with me.

Second, if your post was merely to "inform" then why did they get deleted? I daresay because it was more than information. It was attitude. Judging by your cocky, smart-mouth response to me (and I am far above a poolee), you didn't learn your lesson.

Un-f**k yourself. You don't have to like the instructions you're given. But you will follow them or yours will be a very short stay in the Marine Corps.

YutYut
09-25-08, 07:04 AM
Garrett, let's be very clear about something. You're a poolee. You're not a Marine. More than that, you certainly aren't senior to Isrowei. When any Marine, ESPECIALLY AN OFFICER, corrects you, you respond with "Aye Sir" and fall in line. Try that attitude in person and see if it doesn't get you f*cked up in some capacity.

AL49BGN
09-25-08, 11:37 AM
Garrett,you have insulted this SNCO by talking back to my 1stLT.You will follow SGT.YutYut's advice and refer to Marines on this sight as sir.You will also not disrespect any fellow Poolees or the Moderator will deal with you swiftly.I will have my eye on you Garrett.