PDA

View Full Version : Marines save car crash victim

thedrifter
09-22-08, 07:24 AM
Marines save car crash victim

9/19/2008 By Lance Cpl. J. Canlas , 2nd Marine Logistics Group

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (September 19, 2008) —When two Marines were traveling home from Raleigh, N.C., Sept. 2, they saw a woman jump a curb, hit a pole and flip her vehicle. Doing what anyone would expect of a pair of Marines, they quickly pulled the woman from the car to safety and waited with her until paramedics could arrive, demonstrating the true moral character synonymous with U.S. Marines.

Lance Corporals Brandon J. Brown and Christian D. Forrest, both of Combat Logistics Regiment 2, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, were recognized by the commanding general of 2nd MLG, Brig. Gen. Juan G. Ayala, here Sept. 11, for helping save the life of the driver, and setting an example for fellow Marines across the globe to follow.

“A man’s character is tested in times of adversity,” said 1st Sgt. Jeffrey Harper, first sergeant of General Support Motor Transportation Company, CLR-2 and Brown’s First Sergeant. “It took a lot of moral courage to put their lives on the line. They didn’t know if they were going to get hurt, but they helped her anyway. They set a great example to Marines around them.”

Although these actions may seem heroic to most, both Brown and Forrest said they did what every Marine would do.

“I just put myself in her situation and thought, ‘I would want someone to help me out,’” said Forrest. “As a Marine you do what you need to do, when it’s time to do it.”

“I felt good that I did it, but it’s what Marines do, we help,” Brown said. “It’s our job. I felt like anyone could have done what we did. It was just fortunate that we could assist.”

Sgt. Maj. Angela M. Maness, the sergeant major of Combat Logistics Battalion 8, CLR-2, said hearing what the Marines did kept a shining light on junior Marines.

“There is so much negativity about Pfcs and Lance Corporals that when something good happens, we want to celebrate it,” She explained. “We are all very proud of them.”

Ellie