PDA

View Full Version : How has the Marine Corps Changed your life

Donut Brigade
09-22-08, 12:30 AM
I became a more disciplined, organized, and confident person. Also, I will probably never again complain about being hungry and tired.

BenW523
09-22-08, 12:40 AM
I've been really busy recently. I've going to school and trying to get 15 college credits, five days a week, 6 hours each day. I'm also working for progressive future, a non-profit enviornmental group that is working for the democratic election campaign, also five days a week, 8 hours each day. I really like this job, it helps me make money, and I've learned so much out of it. I've met so many people and talked to people from all background and learned a lot of people skills. I've learned how to pick up girls on the street, and talking to brothers and be friends with them. This job has taught me so much about life and changed my a lot of my previous opinions. This is the first job I actually liked going to, but it will be over by november 4. Recently, I've been getting what I wanted out of lfe, like meeting new peoples, earning money, doing something interesting, going to school, chilling, and a lot of other things. I'm going to boot camp in January 12, 2009. I'm starting to wonder how will the Marine Corp change my life. I'm wondering if I'm now getting most of the things I wanted in life; do I still want to be in the Marine Corps? I asked myself do I still need to find myself or is the Marine Corps something that I've always wanted? My friends have told me theres other ways that offers what I want in the Marine Corps, I know its not true, but I am kind of tempted. I'm still determined to leave because the Marine Corps and My Sergeant has taught me all what I'm applying to life now. But I'm just curious to find out how has the Marine Corps changed your life. Please feel free to express your opinion, I really appreciate it.

THAT AINT IT
09-22-08, 10:18 AM
The Marine Corps literally saved my life. I was a self-destructive kid in more ways than one and I've still got the scars to prove it. I drank almost everyday of my junior and senior year. I just didn't care. The second I stepped on those yellow footprints, I knew that part of my life was over. I talked to my senior at boot camp when I started to feel like reverting to my old ways and she told me something I'll never forget. She said that who I was didn't matter anymore...that the second that I stepped on those footprints that part of me died and it was gone forever. The Marine Corps calmed me down in some ways. For me, I really was reborn on Parris Island (as weird as that may sound).

AL49BGN
09-22-08, 10:36 AM
The Corps gave me a much better perspective on life.It taught me discipline and honor.It also taught me how to overcome adversity.I owe who I am today to the Corps.

Chumley
09-22-08, 11:21 AM
The Corps gave me an identity that I didn't know I was missing. To wear the EGA is to be a part of a family that made me a better, stronger, larger person. I know that I will survive no matter what comes my way. I will. I could never give back what the Corp's and being a Marine has given to me.

SFi
C

jrhd97
09-22-08, 03:14 PM
The Corps instilled much needed discipline and did a stellar job of rounding out my character. Still to this day many of my actions are done with the thought in mind " how will this make the Corps look ". Even as a civie, many of my co - workers and people I deal with at church know I am a Marine. My very actions reflect on the Corps.
It gave me a whole new perspective on hot, cold, tired, hungry and exhausted. I am thankful for those lessons and memories.
The Marines provided me the opportunity to a right of passage, one sorely missing in todays culture. A passage from child hood to man. Accomplished in the glorious misery of 13 weeks with the most sadistic human's I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

fjmas1976
09-22-08, 03:32 PM
The Marine Corps saved my life. I was in college (failing classes)....drinking, smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day....just taking up space. The Marine Corps taught me self respect and self discipline. The Marine Corps showed me what duty and honor meant and showed me that I have what it takes inside me to handle anything life throws at me.

The Marine Corps also made me appreciate my Country a lot more and for the first time made me realize what others have sacrificed to defend the freedoms and ideals we hold so dear.

Also, when I earned the Title of Marine, I entered into a Brotherhood that goes beyond words can describe. I think it is amazing that wherever I go and wherever I am, if I encounter a Marine, I know instantly that Marine is my Brother or Sister and there is a bond. Nothing compares to that and that is what it is all about.

Semper Fi:usmc:

temarti
09-22-08, 08:01 PM
always tell everyone that I have had two lives; my life before the Corps and my life after. Prior I was like most I knew in the Marines, heading no where fast or already there, no plans and really no motivation to anything more than the average. The Marines taught me that you never look back, only ahead.

When I got out in 95, my wife and I decided that we were going to make everything work. 13 yrs later I have three great kids from 11 to 3 (keeps you young) and I look at where my career has taken me. It has been a complete circle. I was with Wal-Mart Loss Prevention for 11yrs both running domestic markets and in International for 3.5yrs (Singapore and Japan). My kids are fortunate enough to visit their grandparents in Okinawa yearly and have grown up in different parts of the world. Much different than spending my years prior to the Marines in southern Ga. For the last 1.5yrs I have been able to give back to the organization that molded me into who I am today. I have oversight of the MCCS Loss Prevention / Asset Protection programs and am officed here in Quantico. I travel out often and have made contact with buddies who are still in and it has been like we have not skipped a beat. Like I tell my wife and all I come in contact with, I have only had two jobs, the Marine Corps and WM Loss Prevention, how fortunate can you be to combine the only two things you know. Living by the motto "do what you love and love what you do"

S/F

temarti
09-22-08, 08:02 PM
always tell everyone

Sorry, there is suppose to be an "I", before always. had to copy / paste and log back in..

HurricaneRJ
09-22-08, 08:38 PM
The Marine Corps improved me in a way that no other organization could.
I know what it means to look out for one another, I know what it means to sacrifice yourself for another. I know what it means to wake up and know that 300 Million people count on me to make their lives a lot better.

On top of that, I would like to thank Cpl. David Blaylock a.k.a. My big brother. Dave you helped in my lowest moments in life and in the fleet. It's because of your strong words of wisdom that I eventually turned myself around, and now I'm a Marine with some potential. Semper Fi' brother.

darkgreen0311
09-22-08, 10:42 PM
Taught me the meaning of discipline, and to work as a team. They definitely taught me about being prompt. To this day i hate to be late going anywhere.

:marine:SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!