PDA

View Full Version : Having surgery.....

Troutzilla
09-21-08, 10:39 PM
I'm having a subacromial decompression (shaving bone spurs,done with scope) done on my left shoulder in a week....any of you jarheads been thru one of these things? I've read a great deal about it ,but that just isn't the same as hearing from someone who has been thru it.What can I expect?

yellowwing
09-21-08, 11:16 PM
Ortho is very advanced these days. All that million dollar surgery on pro athletes last decade is now available to all of us.

BR34
09-22-08, 06:28 AM
I'm curious Troutzilla what has led you to needing this surgery?

I've been having some pretty bad shoulder pains that I was guessing was caused by weight lifting. Went to the doc and got some anti-inflamatory meds, started icing my shoulder, and stopped bench pressing, yet it still hurts the same 28 days later. I still can barely move it without pain.

I'm hoping I won't need surgery but the doc told me it may be needed. What were your symptoms?

Phantom Blooper
09-22-08, 06:50 AM
What can I expect?

Had it done in October 89. You can expect some relief then an onset of arthritis till you lie below the clover!:evilgrin:<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

sparkie
09-22-08, 06:57 AM
Had it done in October 89. You can expect some relief then an onset of arthritis till you lie below the clover!:evilgrin:<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Thats encouraging.LMAO.

Troutzilla
09-22-08, 05:37 PM
I'm curious Troutzilla what has led you to needing this surgery?

I've been having some pretty bad shoulder pains that I was guessing was caused by weight lifting. Went to the doc and got some anti-inflamatory meds, started icing my shoulder, and stopped bench pressing, yet it still hurts the same 28 days later. I still can barely move it without pain.

I'm hoping I won't need surgery but the doc told me it may be needed. What were your symptoms?

It's like having a friggin constant toothache in your shoulder.....I did the physical therapy crap and that seemed to agitate it even more. I took a cortisone shot and it only provided temporary relief, I can't raise the arm even with my shoulder anymore. I've also got some popping sound and it feels like it catches on something....more whiskey!!!!

Troutzilla
09-22-08, 05:38 PM
I've already got the arthritis.

JRHD72
09-22-08, 06:18 PM
I had the same op done on my right elbow. Been 10 years with no complications. glad I had it done!

Troutzilla
09-23-08, 06:28 PM
Had my pre-op physical today,blood work and EKG. They already have my physical therapy set-up starting 3 days after surgery which is set for Sept.30th at 1100 hr's...Doc said I would be getting some pictures afterwards...anyone else ever get pictures? My Doc is ex-Amry surgeon, Major,Desert Storm Vet.Will update and will post pictures if postable(is that even a word?)

sparkie
09-23-08, 07:18 PM
Pictures????? You havin a baby?

Troutzilla
09-23-08, 07:36 PM
Pictures????? You havin a baby?

Highly unlikely Marine...no ,the friggin Doc said I would be getting some snapshots of the shoulder surgery,ain't never heard of something like that.

Osotogary
09-23-08, 08:04 PM
Surgery of any kind can never be taken for granted. (I didn't mean that as a bummer.) I'm sure that you will have a successful and speedy procedure/recovery. All the best.

Phantom Blooper
09-23-08, 09:00 PM
Just out of curiosity...that shoulder problem wouldn't have anything to do with casting that rod and reeling in the big ones.....would it?:beer:

:evilgrin:

Troutzilla
09-27-08, 01:46 PM
Just out of curiosity...that shoulder problem wouldn't have anything to do with casting that rod and reeling in the big ones.....would it?:beer:

:evilgrin:
I wish it was , that would make the discomfort a little more tolerable.

sgt tony
09-27-08, 07:25 PM
I have had it done on both of my shoulders I will say it did help and yes it hurts like boot camp. It was the best think that I did. You will have to push yourself and I mean hard. I that the therapy thing but I also did it at home 3 times a day. Get you a door set up to put a pulley bar and work the heck out of it. You have to keep it moving or it will freeze up and that if a big pain.
Bet of luck to you and keep us informed.

Troutzilla
09-27-08, 09:13 PM
I have had it done on both of my shoulders I will say it did help and yes it hurts like boot camp. It was the best think that I did. You will have to push yourself and I mean hard. I that the therapy thing but I also did it at home 3 times a day. Get you a door set up to put a pulley bar and work the heck out of it. You have to keep it moving or it will freeze up and that if a big pain.
Bet of luck to you and keep us informed.

I've read about the "frozen shoulder syndrome" and that is the last thing I need to happen...I've got a good work record for rehabbing this old beat up bag of bones...this is not the first time "under the knife" as they say. Will update with post-op infor at first opportunity.The week-end is being spent turning my den (with comfy recliner) into temporary sleeping quarters...

rb1651
09-28-08, 09:23 PM
Best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery, Mike. I pray everything turns out for the best.

Alpha1Devildog
09-29-08, 12:11 PM
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow Mike. Have a restful day. Looking forward to hearing from you when you get back at it.

Troutzilla
09-30-08, 08:51 AM
Heading out the door in about 20 minutes....sheesh am I HUNGRY and I'd really like a tall glass of orange juice, but that will just have to wait.Thanks for all the thought's and prayers...will report in when I can.

SEMPER FI

:flag:

yellowwing
09-30-08, 08:54 AM
God Bless!

Troutzilla
09-30-08, 09:11 PM
Here it is about 19:oo hrs and I'm reporting that despite the left arm being still somewhat numb....everything is looking good to go.Somewhat hazy and still heavily medicated but just wanted to say they got the shoulder "cleaned"up and found no damage to the rotator cuff.First post-op visit to Doc this FRI. physical therapy to start 1/2 hour later....

Thanks for thinking of me........:flag:

Mike

Alpha1Devildog
09-30-08, 09:13 PM
Here it is about 19:oo hrs and I'm reporting that despite the left arm being still somewhat numb....everything is looking good to go.Somewhat hazy and still heavily medicated but just wanted to say they got the shoulder "cleaned"up and found no damage to the rotator cuff.First post-op visit to Doc this FRI. physical therapy to start 1/2 hour later....

Thanks for thinking of me........:flag:

Mike

Great news Bro. . . . Sounds like you'll be back at those fish in no time. .

Osotogary
10-01-08, 01:06 PM
"frozen shoulder syndrome"
I just found out, in very general terms, that I have the symptoms of inpingment syndrome shoulder and adhesive capsulitis due to an injury at work. For the life of me raising my arm over the 90 degree angle causes uncomfortable radiating pain from shoulder to mid-arm. I've been recommended for therapy and possible cortisone injection.
The frozen shoulder was explained briefly that it was caused by scar tissue. Now I am not a doctor, but the word arthritis was also brought into the conversation.
What's next? I just have to follow the directives related to workman's compensation claims to the letter, which I certainly will.
Troutzilla, you are many, many years younger than I and I expect you to have a full and swift recovery. Me? I still have pain and can't raise my arm above my shoulder. I'm just glad that my genitals aren't located on the top of my head. Maybe you are as well. LMAO
Adios, for now. Get well soon.
Gary

Troutzilla
10-01-08, 04:47 PM
"frozen shoulder syndrome"
I just found out, in very general terms, that I have the symptoms of inpingment syndrome shoulder and adhesive capsulitis due to an injury at work. For the life of me raising my arm over the 90 degree angle causes uncomfortable radiating pain from shoulder to mid-arm. I've been recommended for therapy and possible cortisone injection.
The frozen shoulder was explained briefly that it was caused by scar tissue. Now I am not a doctor, but the word arthritis was also brought into the conversation.
What's next? I just have to follow the directives related to workman's compensation claims to the letter, which I certainly will.
Troutzilla, you are many, many years younger than I and I expect you to have a full and swift recovery. Me? I still have pain and can't raise my arm above my shoulder. I'm just glad that my genitals aren't located on the top of my head. Maybe you are as well. LMAO
Adios, for now. Get well soon.
Gary

Follow the workmans comp routine to the tee.....they will and do make you jump thru hoops...I've been jumping since day one...I couldn't lift my arm up to my shoulder either....BONE SPURS were the culprits a couple of big ones...Doc told the wife when he showed her the pictures,big bones,big spurs. I will get to see the pictures on Friday at my post-op physical also first day of therapy. I didn't sleep well at all last night..couple hours at most,lots of pain after the block wore offTook the sling off around noon today and straightened the arm out and it feels pretty good....keep moving it around and ice packs on the shoulder....more whiskey please!!