PDA

View Full Version : SOI and personal items

FeMzZ
09-21-08, 10:10 PM
I ship to SOI East on September 29th and i've been told several different stories of what to bring and what it will be like. Can someone please shed some light on the fact if SOI is an open squadbay or barracks please. I thought it was an open squadbay but a lot of recruits in boot kept insisting that it was barracks so I dont know either for a fact. And regarding personal items at SOI, we were told that you can bring a laptop if you wanted for the weekends but you would have to lock it in your wall locker most of the rest of the time. And then during our SOI brief we were told we shouldnt bring a computer because of the risk of it getting lost or stolen or damaged, etc. Can someone shed some light? thanks

Achped
09-21-08, 10:35 PM
lol you think you rate barracks rooms as a boot private? (Does that answer your question?)

If you're ITB, you can bring a laptop, however don't be surprised if its broken/stolen/or lost while you're there. And if you use it during non-libbo hours...expect it to be broken. They briefed you not to bring it for a reason, dont you think they know these things?

If you're MCT, do not bring ANYTHING except a cell phone.

However you may get stuck going to Hawaii, or Oki, and if going from ITB to Hawaii will mean you will have to get the stuff you didnt take with you by having someone ship it to you.

FeMzZ
09-22-08, 12:27 PM
thank you. i just wanted to make sure because of conflicting answers

lol you think you rate barracks rooms as a boot private? (Does that answer your question?)

If you're ITB, you can bring a laptop, however don't be surprised if its broken/stolen/or lost while you're there. And if you use it during non-libbo hours...expect it to be broken. They briefed you not to bring it for a reason, dont you think they know these things?

If you're MCT, do not bring ANYTHING except a cell phone.

However you may get stuck going to Hawaii, or Oki, and if going from ITB to Hawaii will mean you will have to get the stuff you didnt take with you by having someone ship it to you.

OB MSG
09-22-08, 01:02 PM
I may be beating the Bejesus out of a dead horse, but will the new Marines and especially the Poolees/Wannabes start capitalizing and using proper grammar and spelling. I can work my way through the posts, but come on!

crate78
09-23-08, 09:46 PM
I hear you, OB MSG. I was with a newspaper for seven years, and had more Communications and English Comp classes in college than I like to think about. It drives me berzerk when I see some of the writing, not only on this forum but on others I participate in.

I spent a whole semester once trying to get a rise out of a particular Business Communications professor. In the course of writing a paper, I created a used car lot named "Ben Dover Auto Sales". For a fictional letter to the Governor of Vermont, I used the name "Adolph Goldberg" for the Governor. It all went right over his head.

crate

rb1651
09-23-08, 09:55 PM
crate,

That's some funny s*** there!!!!

Wyoming
09-24-08, 09:02 AM
I may be beating the Bejesus out of a dead horse, but will the new Marines and especially the Poolees/Wannabes start capitalizing and using proper grammar and spelling. I can work my way through the posts, but come on!

An occasional error in spelling or punctuation is one thing, BUT, if they are allowed to continue to get away with their crap, it will remain.

Sad!