PDA

View Full Version : Law Contract

eisjaeger
09-21-08, 12:12 AM
I'm interested in becoming a marine officer and judge advocate. I have a question about the application process.

I understand that a marine judge advocate is an officer first and a lawyer second. One goes through OCS and TBS like every other aspiring line officer, then off to the Naval Justice School.

My question is about the application and selection phases. It's obviously competitive to be selected as an officer candidate. Is it more selective under a Law Contract or the same? I know there are the additional requirements of minimum 150 LSAT, law degree, bar passage, etc. to even apply, but beyond that...I'm wondering if it's a different app and a different selection board, things like that.

Also, an officer and lawyer would certainly be trained as a line officer with no restriction of officer assignments. But realistically speaking, are marine judge advocates ever in a position where they are leading marines in battle, or would their realistic role be advisory?

Thanks for help in clearing up my confusion.

thewookie
09-21-08, 12:19 AM
I'm interested in becoming a marine officer and judge advocate. I have a question about the application process.

I understand that a marine judge advocate is an officer first and a lawyer second. One goes through OCS and TBS like every other aspiring line officer, then off to the Naval Justice School.

My question is about the application and selection phases. It's obviously competitive to be selected as an officer candidate. Is it more selective under a Law Contract or the same? I know there are the additional requirements of minimum 150 LSAT, law degree, bar passage, etc. to even apply, but beyond that...I'm wondering if it's a different app and a different selection board, things like that.

Also, an officer and lawyer would certainly be trained as a line officer with no restriction of officer assignments. But realistically speaking, are marine judge advocates ever in a position where they are leading marines in battle, or would their realistic role be advisory?

Thanks for help in clearing up my confusion.

Say again your last?

rvillac2
09-21-08, 02:40 AM
We have rules here. One of them is to have a filled out profile.

eisjaeger
09-21-08, 04:14 PM
We have rules here. One of them is to have a filled out profile.

Your board, your rules. I added details to My Info. Is that what you meant?

eisjaeger
09-21-08, 04:15 PM
Say again your last?

I don't understand this...

rvillac2
09-21-08, 07:07 PM
Your board, your rules. I added details to My Info. Is that what you meant?

Yes. Thanks.
Also remember that Marine is always capitalized.

rvillac2
09-21-08, 07:12 PM
I don't understand this...
In radiospeak, he's asking you to repeat your last transmission.

(Marines, you gotta speak slowly for the lawyers.):yes:

rvillac2
09-21-08, 07:22 PM
We do not have too many officers frequenting this board and I don't think we have any JAGs. You may need to send your first question to an OSO. You have a very specific case since you're already a...

Phantom Blooper
09-21-08, 08:14 PM
We do not have too many officers frequenting this board and I don't think we have any JAGs.

Contact Lt.dscusmc a mustang he is JAG.....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=22209

:evilgrin:

eisjaeger
09-22-08, 02:09 PM
I appreciate the responses.

I have my OSO prospect phase interview on Thursday, so I was trying to go in knowing some basic things.

MarineOCS.com is def a much more appropriate site for my questions. Thanks for the link.