PDA

View Full Version : Question about College

degenerate138
09-20-08, 07:25 PM
I'm in my third year of college and I'm planning on enlisting. Are there any benefits enlisted recruits can get for their college credits or anything while they are signing their contracts or anything to that nature?

Thanks for any info.

MarinesFTW
09-20-08, 07:28 PM
You will enlist on a PFC contract that is about all you get out of it.

degenerate138
09-20-08, 07:33 PM
What's the difference between a PFC contract and a non-PFC contract. Sorry, may seem like some stupid questions but honestly I just want to be sure.

MarinesFTW
09-20-08, 07:36 PM
You will come out of boot camp as a Private First-Class instead of Private.. mabe you should do some reserch about the Marine Corps and talk to a recruiter, you learn alot more there and then come here for the more indepth info.

Wyoming
09-20-08, 10:31 PM
I'm in my third year of college and I'm planning on enlisting. Are there any benefits enlisted recruits can get for their college credits or anything while they are signing their contracts or anything to that nature?

Thanks for any info.

WHY?

Achped
09-20-08, 11:14 PM
WHY?
I have to second the corporal.

Why? Hopefully you at least plan to FINISH college before you enlist.

Which leads to another question, if you've got a degree, why enlist?

Hologram
09-20-08, 11:36 PM
I agree with the Marines here. Obviously, I'm sure you have your reasons, but I would tell you to at least apply for a commissioning program and see what comes of it before enlisting.

thewookie
09-21-08, 12:20 AM
Yeah, you'll be closer to your mosquito wings.... good luck.

Donut Brigade
09-21-08, 01:16 AM
You have many advantages as a contract PFC in boot and beyond. With a degree you'll probably be the only one there with such, there's a good chance you will be made scribe or some other special duty which is rewarding. When you finish you will be ahead of most of your peers and of course be closer to landing Corporal.

The extra money is nice too.

Achped
09-21-08, 03:21 AM
Private, aside from being a contract PFC which puts him 6 months ahead of the game, it in no way makes him any closer to corporal than the 18 year old who graduated high school 2 weeks ago that got 2 people to enlist.

Finish school at the very least. Try to Go for a commission. Don't be like woody :) :) :) Even if you want to be enlisted (Why???) at least finish school. I can't stress that enough man.

Zulu 36
09-21-08, 09:16 AM
You have many advantages as a contract PFC in boot and beyond. With a degree you'll probably be the only one there with such, there's a good chance you will be made scribe or some other special duty which is rewarding. When you finish you will be ahead of most of your peers and of course be closer to landing Corporal.

The extra money is nice too.

How is scribe duty rewarding? I worked my azz off and still had to keep my regular stuff up to standard. Sure, I made meritorious PFC out of the deal, but in my day the only contract PFCs allowed were prior service people. No such thing as making LCpl out of boot camp in any fashion.

BTW, my platoon's first scribe was a college grad. He got fired for being "an educated idiot." Then they hired me, a HS grad. So a college degree is no guarantee of anything in boot camp.

That said, still finish college first. Then go to OCS or enlist, whatever route you prefer.