PDA

View Full Version : Prior Service/Re-Entry (Why So Difficult)

sadibenz
09-19-08, 12:14 PM
Would someone please explain to me why does it seem that Marine Corps Prior Service Recruiters (Seem To Ignore Veteran Marines trying to Re-Enter). I've been trying to get back in the Corps for the last 3 years. Attempted to deal with 5 different prior service recruitors throuout San Diego County. It' like trying to gey help fron a brick wall.
Please help me find the door back to the Corps either Reserve Status or Reserve Status with a good chance to get back to Active Duty................
:banana:
crmlthndr@cox...net

OB MSG
09-19-08, 12:19 PM
The best thing you can do is to walk right into a recruiting office with a copy of your DD214 and ask to talk to a recruiter. When you explain that you are prior service they will point you to the prio-recruiter and it should go from there. Just get an address and number and keep riding them, they will come around soon enough.

sadibenz
09-19-08, 12:28 PM
I've tried that a few times. Keep ending up being refferred to GySgt. Fox at MCRD or GySgt. Green in Miramar. Neither one seem to have any time to see me. They'll talk on the phone (If they happen to be in the office). I end up leaving messages never hearing back...

MARINECID
09-19-08, 01:27 PM
Are you trying to go Active or Reserves? Prior service Marines who are going back into the Active side go through regular recruiters. If you are trying to go into the reserves then you have to go through a Prior service recruiter

Mikewebe
09-19-08, 06:53 PM
I feel ya man, I got the same issue once before which is why I went to the guard and I got issues now with HQMC. Stay on them they work for you now.

Marine84
09-20-08, 08:47 AM
I even tried to get back in - Recruiter flat out told me that the Government would rather spend the time and money to train a new one than to let somebody back in that already knew the ropes. Besides, I was past the age (to even get a waiver for) and he told me that they were still looking for a few good men, not a few old ladies. LOL!

davblay
09-20-08, 08:52 AM
I even tried to get back in - Recruiter flat out told me that the Government would rather spend the time and money to train a new one than to let somebody back in that already knew the ropes. Besides, I was past the age (to even get a waiver for) and he told me that they were still looking for a few good men, not a few old ladies. LOL!

AND YOU DIDN'T B!TCH SLAP HIM? Must have been a while back, that don't sound like the Kim we all know and love.

Dave

Marine84
09-20-08, 08:59 AM
I was on the phone with him and he was too far away for me to drive just to b!tch slap him.

davblay
09-20-08, 09:09 AM
Would someone please explain to me why does it seem that Marine Corps Prior Service Recruiters (Seem To Ignore Veteran Marines trying to Re-Enter). I've been trying to get back in the Corps for the last 3 years. Attempted to deal with 5 different prior service recruitors throuout San Diego County. It' like trying to gey help fron a brick wall.
Please help me find the door back to the Corps either Reserve Status or Reserve Status with a good chance to get back to Active Duty................
:banana:
crmlthndr@cox...net

If you read the local newspaper and watch the local TV, you'll see that all branches are struggling to get thier mission of recruits....except the Marine Corps! The Corps has prospects knocking down thier doors, wanting to enlist.

During the "CUT BACK" in 1971, the Corps was actually on a "0" mission for several months, only taking critical MOSs. Then there was about 20 years that the Corps was "peacetime" and skated thru keeping what was required for strength, as dictated by CMC and Congress.

During the "Desert Shield/Desert Storm Operation", the Corps increased thier strength and recruiting opened up again, then 9/11 happens and you know the rest.

My point is this, "when the Corps can be selective, they are, when they need people, they get humble"! It's kind of like "you don't miss what you've got until it's gone", type thing!

I suggest that IF you get the attention of a prior service recruiter, then stay crawled up his butt until you get an answer, one way or the other, but demand a clear answer......you deserve nothing less!

Now having said that, what is your RE CODE on your DD214? That may have a bearing on this as well!

Dave

davblay
09-20-08, 09:10 AM
I was on the phone with him and he was too far away for me to drive just to b!tch slap him.

That's my girl! :marine:

Semper Fi Sis,

Dave

sadibenz
09-22-08, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the info... Im RE-1A. I was able to get in contact with a Ssgt.Miller out at MCAS Miramar this morning after I got home from work. Got a 0930 appt. 092308.
Sounds like he is shooting straight from the hip and not messing around. He said it would probably take about 90 days to get into the reserves....
We will see what happens....

sadibenz
09-22-08, 03:39 PM
Quick update,
All I have to do now is find an active or retired Staff NCO or above who knew me. Too, write a letter stating and discribing my Vissible tattoos (both forearms) while I was on active duty....
Any former or active duty Staff NCO's or above out here who served with me from 08/08/89 thru 12/24/89 ?

sadibenz
09-23-08, 06:37 AM
080883 thru 122489

hrscowboy
09-23-08, 07:23 AM
The story i get from a 30 year Sgt Maj on this subject is that Our Marine Corps really dont want a prior service Member back unless his MOS is critical. He stated to me that Marines have a chance to talk with a Service Planner before his EAS and if the Marine refuses to extend in the service at that time then your going home. He also stated it cost alot of Money to process a Marine out of the Corps with Medical exams, disbursing and such, he stated the the Marine Corps feels in a way the Marine Snubbed them when asked to stay in by getting out and not staying in regardless. Prior Service Marines very seldom get back into the Marine Corps unless you have a Critical Mos and being a grunt is not a Critical Mos according to him. As i said this is what i was told so take it from there..

gunsup0331je
01-25-11, 02:58 AM
im currently in Iraq serving with the Army National Guard. And Im trying to get back into the Marine Corp as soon as i get back from country. I will finish my contract with the Guard just as soon as get back should I go to a Marine Recruiter when i go on R and R and explaine to him the situation? Who do i contact to get a straight forth answer if I can get Back in to the Corp or Not? If any one can help me out i would greatly appreciate the help or advise. Thanks and Semper Fi.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-26-11, 11:31 PM
This thread originally dates from 2008...just so you know.

Prior service recruiter is who you likely need to see. Start with the local recruiting office they'll point you in the right direction.

AlohaMarine
01-27-11, 01:42 AM
Everytime I see one of Dave's old posts I get a little choked up. Good Marine.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-27-11, 02:25 AM
Yeah...I know what you mean.

StraightUpSgt
01-27-11, 04:17 AM

I came back in 2.5 years after getting out and when I walked into the recruiter's office I literally was able to get back in no problem. Funny thing is I decided that I wanted an MOS that would allow me to get paid well on the outside so I opted for 1141 (Electrician). I signed the contract that said "1141 PMOS" but the they sent me to Japan after my 90 days of RA.

What you need to do to make it easier for you or others you know is order your OMPF from Quantico, and then bring that with you because that is basically your digital SRB.

R Landry
01-27-11, 06:54 AM
Now, what with SECDEF Gates cutting the Corps by 10%.....

RufMarine
01-31-11, 06:15 PM
You are better off trying to get into active duty Army, unless some dumb ass somewhere decides to start another war the Corps isn't taking any prior service.

hrscowboy
01-31-11, 06:56 PM
For any and all Marines thinking about getting out of our Corps think it out real good because it is my understanding that Our Marine Corps is no longer going to allow prior service Marines to come back once your Obligation is Over.. Gentlemen and ladies i can attest to you that there are No Jobs out here in this world paying with a crap. I have 2 sons that are working for me on 4 farms and I thank my lucky stars I can take care of them with homes and food fuel and both of these young men got out of the Corps 3 years ago.. If you can stay in then do so because theres nothing out here right now and 20 years service is nothing and plus you get a retirement.

hrscowboy
01-31-11, 11:37 PM
Stay in the service you will be glad you did...

Supersquishy
02-01-11, 06:40 AM
hrscowboy said it right, I know a coastie that says the same thing, they arnt enlisting near as many they did a few years ago, practically nill. He is reenlisting because the jobs are none around here andhe is one ofthe lucky ones they arnt forcing out.

thewookie
02-01-11, 07:54 AM
I'd be hitting 20 years this year,, got a few friends that are still in who are........ and you folks got a war(s) to fight.

Think long and hard,, I'm not trying to get back in, but sometimes I really wish I hadn't gotten out.

;)

SF

korbinati
02-01-11, 08:47 AM
You are better off trying to get into active duty Army, unless some dumb ass somewhere decides to start another war the Corps isn't taking any prior service.

LCpl talking from where? I just spoke to a recruiter yesterday, the Corps has opened the door for a small number of prior service Marines to return. I am beginning the process myself. By the time I wanted to stay it was too late.

:flag:

Muztang11
02-01-11, 04:07 PM
The Corps is going to have to do something about prior service and normal enlistments as well. In the next 4 years an extra 30,000+ marines from the original surge to 202,000 are going to EAS. Sure some will reup but alot won't,This is either going to leave a big empty spot to be filled by recruiters or its going to be a convenient reduction in force.

Muztang11
02-01-11, 04:10 PM
LCpl talking from where? I just spoke to a recruiter yesterday, the Corps has opened the door for a small number of prior service Marines to return. I am beginning the process myself. By the time I wanted to stay it was too late.

At the very least make sure you keep the IRR status,This lets you keep your foot in the door so to speak with your local reserve unit.IMA and ADSW can keep you going for a long time $$ wise, at least if your single anyway.

RufMarine
02-02-11, 10:54 AM

San Diego, was told several times prior service is a no go, hell, I know Marines that are fighting tooth and nail to try and stay in. But, just like some have said, recruitment will eventually go back up and recruiters will be scrambling to find bodies.

flyby
02-02-11, 05:12 PM
im currently in Iraq serving with the Army National Guard. And Im trying to get back into the Marine Corp as soon as i get back from country. I will finish my contract with the Guard just as soon as get back should I go to a Marine Recruiter when i go on R and R and explaine to him the situation? Who do i contact to get a straight forth answer if I can get Back in to the Corp or Not? If any one can help me out i would greatly appreciate the help or advise. Thanks and Semper Fi.

Contact a Recruiter/PSR asap! Try to avoid any break in service so you don't loose any TIG.
As for getting back into the Reserves as prior service, well I was able to. And I had an 11 year break in service! The previous PSR didn't seem to want to work on getting me back in. He dismissed it as almost impossible. So, I waited about three months for him to PCS and for his replacement to take over. There were several things that could have been possible hang ups for me getting back in. However, this PSR is motivated and good to go! He did have to do some work but within four/five months I was back in. The reason most PS Marines don't get back on board are likely a result of a PSR who isn't willing to do the work to get them back in. I know that my PSR is what made the difference! The only issue was that he had to find a unit that was under T/O for my rank w/an unfilled MOS spot. So I had to chose a new MOS as well.
And for those that are cautious to get out due to the economy, don't let the economy be the deciding factor for staying in, IMO. When I was getting out 'they' said the same thing. There are no jobs, etc. And that was at the early beginning of the Dot.com boom. Granted, things are bad now and may get worse, don't let that sway you. After I got out, I went into Telacom/I.T. but got bored and changed careers. I'm still getting calls for I.T. jobs and I haven't had an active/updated resume in over two years! There are jobs out there. If you attack your civilian career and apply those things that we learned in the Corps, it will help give you an edge.

RufMarine
02-02-11, 05:51 PM
Contact a Recruiter/PSR asap! Try to avoid any break in service so you don't loose any TIG.
As for getting back into the Reserves as prior service, well I was able to. And I had an 11 year break in service! The previous PSR didn't seem to want to work on getting me back in. He dismissed it as almost impossible. So, I waited about three months for him to PCS and for his replacement to take over. There were several things that could have been possible hang ups for me getting back in. However, this PSR is motivated and good to go! He did have to do some work but within four/five months I was back in. The reason most PS Marines don't get back on board are likely a result of a PSR who isn't willing to do the work to get them back in. I know that my PSR is what made the difference! The only issue was that he had to find a unit that was under T/O for my rank w/an unfilled MOS spot. So I had to chose a new MOS as well.
And for those that are cautious to get out due to the economy, don't let the economy be the deciding factor for staying in, IMO. When I was getting out 'they' said the same thing. There are no jobs, etc. And that was at the early beginning of the Dot.com boom. Granted, things are bad now and may get worse, don't let that sway you. After I got out, I went into Telacom/I.T. but got bored and changed careers. I'm still getting calls for I.T. jobs and I haven't had an active/updated resume in over two years! There are jobs out there. If you attack your civilian career and apply those things that we learned in the Corps, it will help give you an edge.

I have to agree that a motivated PSR has been hard to find, they know they don't have to do the work and many won't even let you in the door after you call them. I may try going Marine Corps reserve again but right now the Army reserve has the door wide open.

flyby
02-02-11, 07:05 PM
I have to agree that a motivated PSR has been hard to find, they know they don't have to do the work and many won't even let you in the door after you call them. I may try going Marine Corps reserve again but right now the Army reserve has the door wide open.

Well I feel for your situation. If you are willing to relocate to the East Coast, I bet my PSR could get you in! If you do go the Army route I would recommend the National Guard versus the Army Reserve. It seemed like the Guard had more options. I was in the Guard myself but decided to go back to the Marine Corps.

JDOG909
03-14-11, 11:28 AM
I've been trying to get back in active duty for months now only to be told by the PSR, the corps isn't taking any prior service at this time. However the army has the door wide open which is tempting me to switch over.

blitzergixxer
06-05-11, 07:25 PM
I've been trying to get back in active duty for months now only to be told by the PSR, the corps isn't taking any prior service at this time. However the army has the door wide open which is tempting me to switch over.Don't do it. I got out of the Corps in 08 and switched into the Army. After being in this clusterf**k, I have been speaking with Marine recruiters and I am trying to get back into the Corps.

JDOG909
06-06-11, 08:59 PM
Yeah I've had a tough time dealing with army recruiters. Dirt bags were too lazy to even properly fill out a request to mobcom to be discharged from the IRR. The good news is that a new marine psr...

JDOG909
06-06-11, 09:01 PM
Don't do it. I got out of the Corps in 08 and switched into the Army. After being in this clusterf**k, I have been speaking with Marine recruiters and I am trying to get back into the Corps.
Oh I forgot, wish the best for you man, marine psr's would rather not deal with reenlistments. That's what I've been told I just hope you find a psr who is ontop of the game like my psr.