PDA

View Full Version : Losing strength

NeedSomePT
09-19-08, 10:02 AM
I've been doing lots of pullups, went from not being able to do a single one a few months ago to being able to do 6 maybe 7 if I really put all into it.
Anyway, about a week and a half ago I must have lost all my strenght in what seems to be overnight. I'm struggling at two pull ups, I can get to three but it hurts and I can't even make it halfway to four.

What's up with that? I have not injured myself or anything, my muscles aren't sore either. I feel fine yet for some unkown reason I'm weaker.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Should I take a few days off from pull ups, maybe I need to recover? Or should I keep training trying to get in more and more?

CalahanD
09-19-08, 10:13 AM
Yeah it happened to me. I was getting on average 20 pull ups, I worked on it for ever and it went down to like 17. Take a break, just let your body rest. That is what i had to do. Now i am back up to 23.

NeedSomePT
09-19-08, 10:20 AM
How long should I be taking a break for?
I ship next month, I don't want to start getting lazy if I take too long of a break.

USMC3381
09-19-08, 10:23 AM
Take a break for about a day or so thats probaly what the problem is you just need to rest. Also make sure you are hydrating that could be another factor not enough water.

CalahanD
09-19-08, 10:30 AM
Just give yourself a couple of days. Your body can only take so much. It needs to regain some strength. Start drinking protein shakes.:sick:

Phantom Blooper
09-19-08, 10:33 AM
Take a siesta from pull ups...every other day...do cardio....stay hydrated. You need to pt but don't try to do it every day with the same part of the body...build up slowly and allow time for the lactic acid to leave before working on that part again.

Try assisted pull ups if possible.

Cardio for lactic acid burn off.

Control your diet....rest but don't pig! Could of had a V-8! :evilgrin:

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
09-19-08, 06:15 PM
The SSGT is so right. Look into fascal tissue stretching every muscle group being used on that exercise 10 to 20 seconds before and after. Research on this can be found through John Parrilo High Performance Body Building. He is nutritional guru for natural performance in sports. I was a personal trainer in All Marine Sports Programs. Drop a line any time..

Hologram
09-19-08, 06:57 PM
It just means that your muscles need to heal the little tears that exercising has created. Take two or three days off, make sure you're not sick and hydrated, then hit the pull up bar again. I guarantee you'll be able to get to your old score if not even better.

darkgreen0311
09-19-08, 07:32 PM
Usmc3381 made a good point. Take a break i would at least take 3 days off. When you start doing pull ups again, you're going to be surprised how many more you can do. A few years ago i was pumping iron on a regular basis. One day i went to go work out and i was tired and was struggling with weight that was normally easy for me. I took a week off and when i did go back i had gotten stronger.

:marine:SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

Old Marine
09-19-08, 09:33 PM
If you think it's bad now, wait until the D.I.'s get a hold of you. After about 3 days you will feel so weak as they will break you down and then build you up the Marine Corps way.

UsmcMotorT
09-20-08, 08:32 AM
Rest is the best remedy. Your overworked muscles can only take so much.

SGT7477
09-20-08, 04:25 PM
If you think it's bad now, wait until the D.I.'s get a hold of you. After about 3 days you will feel so weak as they will break you down and then build you up the Marine Corps way.

Very true Gunny,lol.:flag:

NeedSomePT
09-20-08, 10:28 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice. I have taken yesterday and today off from pull ups. I'll also maybe take tomorrow off just to be safe I hope I do come out pumping out more than before:thumbup:

2ndLAADBnWRENCH- thanks I will look into that.