PDA

View Full Version : Applying to OCS

UMDStudent24
09-17-08, 10:09 PM
As I've mentioned before, I am applying for an aviation contract for OCS.

As it stands, I need more LORs (Letters of Recommendation) and I need to improve my PFT. There are numerous threads here about improving one's PFT so I won't ask for any advice on how to improve and clog up the boards with repetitive mundane threads; I do, however, seek a little perspective on what I should aim for prior to the each OCS-selection board. (I'm looking for plausible/achievable fitness goals!)

The more important question is, where should I go for LORs that really stand out? My father is a retired Airman (he was a Master Sergeant (E7) in the USAF) and he currently works for DOD. He is around and has known a few high-ranking guys (Marines included) that I could perhaps have write me a LOR. Other than this idea I am stumped. Beyond the recommendations that are typical for most (family friends, former/current employers, etc.,) I am short on influential people.

Perhaps I could speak to my sister's recruiters? Is it necessary that I even have a Marine write me one? I'd prefer it if I could find a Marine willing to do so, but I don't want to have someone who does not know me and thus could not accurately describe my character write a recommendation for me. Any direction is much appreciated!

Back to the PFT, I need a 225 to apply.
I took my first PFT yesterday and scored a 218.
13 Pull-ups
74 Crunches
21:21 3-Mile run

I did more pull-ups, but they did not count 2 (a difference of 10 points), so my next test may show drastic improvement there.
The crunches surprised me in a terrible manner. I simply did not adequately prepare for this portion of the test. I believe I can have this maxed within a month.
The run, while I was pleased with the time, happened to be one of my worst runs in some time. So, barring a repeat of yesterday, that should show some great improvement as well.
The selection board meets every month. By this time next month, what are some reasonable goals for each category?

Thanks!

:usmc:

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 10:15 PM
They don't have to be influential, they need to be credible. Long term neighbors, teachers etc.. As far as fitness look at Body for Life loved it and if you look at my profile pic I ain't a slouch(when I'm training).

UMDStudent24
09-17-08, 10:28 PM
I must say that I was surprised to see your picture Corporal!

You obviously train hard, that medal serves as good inspiration. It makes me want to hit the gym right now :evilgrin:.

May I ask, why and when do you make the service transfer?

Thanks!

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 10:41 PM
The service jump had to do with a bad prior service recruiter and a good Army National Guard recruiter. You see I happened to work with 2 reservists in the same unit, one however was the 1st Sgt and one was a young Lcpl. I said I want back in and to work with them in the Corps as well would be cool. The recruiter said this is where you will go and thats it. So I said a few things and since I had already filled my obligation he couldn't tell me where and when I was going somewhere, especially since the E-8 had called and requested me. So I went to the Guard who had open arms for me.

The pic is from the Iron Soldier bench press comp. I took 2nd three times(damn) I was 5'7 196lbs in that photo. I was also 36 years old. Physical training just takes the determination to drive, walk, or run to the gym. I only got involved in that cause my E-6 had a plan and thought that for my size and all I could excel, so I did it.

UMDStudent24
09-19-08, 05:21 PM
The OSO's office says I've got nothing to worry about and they are starting the necessary paperwork to get me contracted.

My ASTB is being scheduled as well as my flight physical.

I'm quite excited.

Mikewebe
09-19-08, 05:58 PM
Good. Just keep training. And learning.

Ub3rmike
09-20-08, 08:24 PM
Keep working on that PFT. Back when I thought about doing direct PLC instead of pursuing MECEP, I had the opportunity to train with and acquire knowledge from 2nd Lts. on PTAD and PLC Jr. Complete candidates. The general consensus was that being selected with a 225 PFT was possible, but the candidates that did were hurting the most at OCS. 260-270 is considered to be competitive to be selected for OCS, but I personally know high 220s-230s who made it up through academics. Crunches are your free money, you should most definately be doing over 100 before selection board. After that, I'd work on the pull ups, then the run time.

UMDStudent24
09-21-08, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Ub3rmike, good luck on the MECEP route. My OSO was a MECEPer and he strikes me as an excellent Officer. Perhaps I shall see, and maybe have to salute, you in the fleet some day!

I'm simply trying to get a competitive score as quickly as possible for my application. As soon as I get word that I'm going to OCS, I will move to focus much more on runs and push/pulls. I've heard from the 2nd Lts at the OSO's office, as well as many other knowledgeable sorts, that running is by far the most important physical fitness activity heading into OCS. You can get by with less than stellar pull-ups and crunches (which will not be a concern anyway when I go) but you have to be a superb runner. I also know that push/pulls (sets of 12/30, 10/25, 8/20 which becomes 14/35, 12/30, 10/25 as the weeks progress) are a big part of PT as well.

I'll be as physically prepared as I can possibly be when summer rolls around. Before Quantico, I'm aiming for a 300 of course. For now, I just want to get an application in!