PDA

View Full Version : Injuries

Cjcruzi3
09-17-08, 07:00 PM
Hey guys hows it going,
I was wondering today about injuries sustained in Boot Camp.
I would like to know what kind of injuries normally happen and to what extent do you have to be injured to get sent home.
Not that im going to purposely break something or anything but its something that im very curious about. I would like to be able to take care of any injuries I sustain while in Boot Camp so that they do not get to an extent where I have to be sent home.
Any that you Marines have seen or any who was sent home because of an injury please let me know. Illnesses as well.
Thank you

BR34
09-17-08, 07:11 PM
It's almost expected for you to be sick while at recruit training. It's kind of like kids at daycare. There's so many germs, and so much closeness that you just have to get sick. (even though I didn't, ha!) But to combat that just try to keep your hands clean as best you can, and keep your fingers out of your mouth. Keep your own personal hand sanitizer with you, and don't think of it as a replacement for soap.

As far as injuries go you'll see some of everything. I got lucky and only had minor problems with my feet due to what the doc calls "chronic flat feet". Recruits break toes, fingers, ankles, fall off things and get concusions...there's a little of everything.

Just don't get shot while on the range...no purple heart for that and you'll probably get sent home.......

In a box!

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 07:26 PM
I broke my jaw and was wired shut, freak accident but, I had to carry cans of sustical or however you spell it with me cause I couldn't eat. so I got lots of grief for that. But as the above post stated maybe a finger a toe, pulled and strained muscles. I some some klutzes get some bumps and bruises. Nothing too bad, and nothing they won't fix for you.

Cjcruzi3
09-17-08, 07:30 PM
So it has to be like seriously sever to get sent home? Like a strain or sprain won't do it, because i tend to get easliy strained ankles any lateral movements make me twist them, i usually just walk it off and keep going, and I think that has contributed to the problem. This is something that has happened A lot because of Basketball.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 07:44 PM
Well yeah as far as the severe part. I mean you will see recruits on crutches and stuff. I almost got discharged cause they didn't know how to feed me until they realized that there was cases upon...

Cjcruzi3
09-17-08, 07:46 PM
Awesome, thats really good to hear. I would hate to get sent home for a punk ass sprain or something like that. Did you get recycled or get in the MRP?

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 07:52 PM
No, after the initial fight to stay in, which I had to do, I had to agree to complete training without further injury or I was gone till I healed. I would not even have made it to MRP. So I agreed and was allowed to do all except the pugil sticks. I did the confidence course the 5 mile graduation run the rappel tower all that.

And I was told a week before graduation by my Senior that I was getting orders to work with him till my wires were off. And I don't suggest you do this but when I went for my check up I lied about how long my wires were on so they took them off and I graduated and went on, no working with my DI's as a brand new PFC. Although I kind of wish I had, they are great men.

Cjcruzi3
09-17-08, 08:43 PM
Damn thats crazy. Do you know what people do get dropped for? I know someone on here I believe broke his kneecap or something like that.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 09:05 PM
Well the only one I remember getting dropped for medical was a real hardcore kid that got a gastro intestinal problem. He would crap his pants without warning. He tried to do everything and made it through some stuff but for whatever reason they cut him loose.

Cjcruzi3
09-17-08, 09:07 PM
oh wow. I guess like most of the Marines say, the easiest way of the depot really is graduating.

yellowwing
09-17-08, 09:10 PM
We just had a female poolee that went down there and completed thier Crucible with a freakin broken hip! That's tough enough. She'd earned her Eagle Globe and Anchor in the hospital after that. But she earned it!

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 09:19 PM
And I know of a female who went to jump school who broke her ankle on the fourth jump and a Navy SEAL Corpsman taped her up in the early morning and she jumped a 5th time and graduated.

degenerate138
09-17-08, 10:37 PM
And I know of a female who went to jump school who broke her ankle on the fourth jump and a Navy SEAL Corpsman taped her up in the early morning and she jumped a 5th time and graduated.

Now that's hardcore.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 10:52 PM
Oh I forgot to add then she cried like a little girl....lol, her words not mine. But she landed and was taken to the basee hospital where they casted her and she stood in formation and graduated. The only bad part was some of the previous days activities leaked out and they tried(unsuccsefully) to try them both under the UCMJ.