PDA

View Full Version : My life story, the short version, Why i joined.

Ingle
09-17-08, 01:35 PM
I am posting this because its a story about my life, please dont criticize my grammer of my lack of Knowledge as i am just a poolie.

USMC 2008-
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
People keep asking my why I did it, Why I joined the United States Marine Corp. They look at me with a confused look, A look of shear stupidity. Up until I joined the Marine Corp my life was pretty easy. I never had to go without anything, I always had the nicest things and for that I am grateful. Life was pretty good for me up until 2002 . I was at the AAU team trials for TaeKwonDo in my last fight when I realized I had not made it. Being a team member was not in my life plan. I felt like a failure, my whole life all I wanted to do was be the best but for some reason I always held back, something was missing. For some reason It never completely clicked in my head. I took a long break from TaeKwonDo after that and it was hard for me to get into the ring without feeling unsuccessful. Soon more time came between practices, weeks became months and months became years. It took me 6 years before I realized it was ok, that was not my life plan. During these times my life got more real, I had a baby boy, dropped out of college one semester shy of a degree, I moved to Chicago to try and make it on my own, A real man right? Windell is all grown up.5 months after I left I returned home with my tail between my legs, looking for my grandmothers shoulder to lean on. Life after that for me had hit rock bottom. I was working at an auto parts store, drinking at the bar every night, sleeping with random women who I had only known for hours before. My bills piled up and I was forced to file Bankruptcy. My life needed a turn, I quit the auto parts store started working at Sprint making really good money, I bought a new BMW had a steady girlfriend and was actually paying bills. Life was what most people call normal. But I still felt like something was missing. It took me up until the last year to realize where my life was suppose to guide me. It took a video game and a friend in the air force to show me. I spent the next 5 months reading all I could online about every branch of the Military for me to decide on what I wanted to do. Deep down inside all I wanted to do is be a Marine Corp Scout Sniper however I was afraid of the full commitment of the Active Duty Marine. I went into the Air National Guard recruiting office, walking past the Marine Corp office wondering if passing it was the right path even though that’s what I really wanted to do. I talked with the Air National Guard Recruiter picked my time to take the test and went from there. I took the test and was good to go only they didn’t have an opening for any job that I wanted to do. In the back of my head I was m thinking I should have just went Marine. After all the Air National Guard was not elite, they were not hardcore or prestigious, it is not the few the proud the Guard. It was my sign, I walked into the Marine Corp recruiting office on my way to taco bell and felt at home the minute I stepped foot in the door. After one hour of being in the chair I was ready to sign. I wanted to be a Marine. Finally I stopped feeling so selfish, I felt like I was finally giving back to all my family and friends who have helped me in my 24 years of life. My fiancé stands by my side and says she always will. It was time to make a difference. My time to be something. I am still young in my Marine Career, practically premature but I will bleed the blue with my brothers and sisters in war. I will protect my country and I will raise the flag in any country regardless of war. Scout Sniper school is going to be the hardest thing in my life I have ever had to do but in my eyes it’s the only thing I am here to do, be a marine. People say “ oh your just going to get yourself killed” or what happens if you get shot… I say to them “ I will just shut my mouth and die like a Marine.

Isrowei
09-17-08, 01:38 PM
Interesting. Remember where you came from and it will serve you well where you are going. Good luck at boot camp.

AL49BGN
09-17-08, 01:40 PM
Good Luck!

Ingle
09-17-08, 02:41 PM
thanks..

AaronJM1984
09-17-08, 02:55 PM
I can appreciate your short story. I too have enlisted in the Marine Corps a bit later than most. I am 24 years old right now. My ship date is 20081103. I attended my first Pool meeting last week. The recruiters asked me why I waited so long to join and I basically told them "It was always something I wanted to do, but it took me some growing up first." Basically I attended a bunch of college, went through two good jobs, but I was never satisfied with what I had, until finally I manned up and went to speak with a recruiter. Within about an hour I had signed my open contract, and went to MEPS a week later. I swore in about 2 weeks ago, and leave for Parris Island in 6 weeks, I cannot wait, I feel as if I am about to finally start my life. I spend my days now reading anything I can get my hands on, excercising, and listening to stories from my Uncle (former Marine). Anyways, just wanted to wish you good luck!

fjmas1976
09-17-08, 03:37 PM
Ingle and Aaaron,
Congratulations on your decision. Good luck and don't quit until you earn the Title. Stay focused and stay motivated.....in the end it is worth every second of blood,sweat, and tears.:usmc:

Ingle
09-18-08, 11:46 AM
thanks guys.

Chumley
09-18-08, 12:07 PM
Good luck to you both!

Ingle - realize this so you won't be disappointed later. I expected Boot Camp to make me a sniper. I expected Boot Camp to make me a Grunt, skilled in all the tactics to be a killing machine, jungle warfare training, eating snakes and bugs, driving tanks, whatever. Yes, Boot Camp was the hardest thing I've ever accomplished and I earned the Title Marine. However the rest of it takes some time to learn and years to master and much is very specialized. Be prepared so that you are not disappointed immediately. Expect that you may not feel completely satisfied right out of Boot. I say this only because you are looking for something big, and it's a lot more than just making it thru Boot and it's not a "quick fix". Maybe the Brotherhood alone will be enough for you, but it may take at least a tour, if not many tours, or a career, to reach your goals. Settle in for the long haul, and you should find your satisfasction along the way in many small pieces that will add up in the end.

C

jrhd97
09-18-08, 01:21 PM
Good Luck you two!

Ingle
09-19-08, 08:46 PM
im bumping this up since this is my last post before i go to boot camp. Ill see you on the other side when i earn my name

AWDPirate
09-21-08, 01:24 AM
Good luck poolee. I will see you there in a few weeks. You've got a pretty motivating story. The beginning reminds me of mine, I've got a good life going, a nice car, a pretty healthy family and many things to be grateful for. The way I look at it, I've got many things to fight for and to honestly earn. Time to prove you're worth a damn!