PDA

View Full Version : Should I disclose or not?

TaylorHudson
09-17-08, 01:02 PM
I was institutionalized for 3 days when I was in high school. A counselor witnessed me in the process of tattooing my own leg and told me, "that is self harm! if you continue doing that I am going to have to report it." I told him to **** off and continued. An hour later, an ambulance showed up, two guys restrained me, threw me in the back and drove me to a mental hospital where I was kept for the 3 day mandatory minimum "observation." I'm sure everybody would agree that this isn't something which should disqualify somebody for service, but the fact remains that "technically" I have been institutionalized.

So, first of all, should I just be honest with the recruiter about what happened? Or, despite the fact that this wasn't an actual incident of "mental illness," will admitting to having had been institutionalized disqualify me regardless of the circumstance?

AL49BGN
09-17-08, 01:25 PM
I was institutionalized for 3 days when I was in high school. A counselor witnessed me in the process of tattooing my own leg and told me, "that is self harm! if you continue doing that I am going to have to report it." I told him to **** off and continued. An hour later, an ambulance showed up, two guys restrained me, threw me in the back and drove me to a mental hospital where I was kept for the 3 day mandatory minimum "observation." I'm sure everybody would agree that this isn't something which should disqualify somebody for service, but the fact remains that "technically" I have been institutionalized.

So, first of all, should I just be honest with the recruiter about what happened? Or, despite the fact that this wasn't an actual incident of "mental illness," will admitting to having had been institutionalized disqualify me regardless of the circumstance?
Just let the recruiter know up front he will probably be able to work it out for you,however if you do not tell them it will come back and bite you in the A**.Good luck.

rvillac2
09-17-08, 01:37 PM
I'm sure everybody would agree that this isn't something which should disqualify somebody for service
Don't be so sure.

this wasn't an actual incident of "mental illness,"
Just a genuine sign of stupidity.

Very likely that we're not getting the whole story here, Marines. In California, the subject would have been evaluated immediately by a professional before involuntarily put on a psych hold. And fortunately, it would take a little more than the subject telling him to F--- off, before holding him at the cost of the state.

AL49BGN
09-17-08, 01:43 PM
Don't be so sure.

Very likely that we're not getting the whole story here, Marines. In California, the subject would have been evaluated immediately by a professional before involuntarily put on a psych hold. And fortunately, it would take a little more than the subject telling him to F--- off, before holding him at the cost of the state.
Good to know SGT,I gave him the benefit of the doubt even though the story didn't sound right.He should still disclose everything to his recruiter no matter what the story is.

TaylorHudson
09-17-08, 02:15 PM
Don't be so sure.

No disrespect sir, but why would you think that someone would come onto a forum like this seeking information, but lie about the relevant circumstance?

In response; First of all, I was not held "at the cost of the state," it was at the cost of my parents. Second, it is "*SHOULD* have been evaluated," not "would have," which was the case in my situation. I was taken directly to Loma Linda in San Bernardino, where you are held for a minimum of 3 days regardless of what they find during evaluation.

Much appreciate any advise that members on board can give me.

AL49BGN
09-17-08, 02:22 PM
Son,all I can say is explain the situation to your recruiter,there have been lesser things that have come back later and bit recruits in the Butt for not being up front.My advice to you is just be upfront.I am here to try and help you that is why I answered your thread!Good Luck

rvillac2
09-17-08, 02:27 PM
No disrespect sir, but why would you think that someone would come onto a forum like this seeking information, but lie about the relevant circumstance?

In response; First of all, I was not held "at the cost of the state," it was at the cost of my parents. Second, it is "*SHOULD* have been evaluated," not "would have," which was the case in my situation. I was taken directly to Loma Linda in San Bernardino, where you are held for a minimum of 3 days regardless of what they find during evaluation.

Much appreciate any advise that members on board can give me.

Admittedly, my response was bait to see if you'd tell me to f--- off like you did the counselor. As it seems that you've matured a bit since the incident we will help you out. And be advised that very many wannabees seek only the answer they want to hear and leave out relevant details.

The Staff Sergeant answered your initial question. There is nothing to gain by hiding this incident. If you do so, it could be found out at the most inconvenient time in your career. Better to lay it out now and if the Recruiter still sees you as a viable candidate, he will do whatever is necessary to qualify you.

If it is true that you do not suffer from a mental illness, then, by your story, you surely had an attitude problem. That's ok. We specialize in adjusting attitudes. However, many of us would keep an extra eye on you when ammo is handed out at the range.

jrhd97
09-17-08, 02:28 PM
Be upfront and honest. Don't start out trying to hide stuff. It WILL come back.

You would be surprised, well not really, at the number of individuals that come on hear lieng / half truths about a story or situation.

thewookie
09-17-08, 02:38 PM

Because he knows what he's talking about, because every single day on this site someone does. Or at least once a week.

Some people come on this site and think we are stupid or that we can't read in between the lines.

One of the better qualities of a Marine is his/ or her ability to detect BS.

Maybe you aren't lying, but the chances that you are outweigh that.

So don't be offended,, or worse get stupid,,, just know that an awful lot of experience detecting BS is looking at your post. So your shiat better be frogs azz water tight or you'll be exposed.

Why would you want to give yourself a tattoo?

TaylorHudson
09-17-08, 03:01 PM
Admittedly, my response was bait to see if you'd tell me to f--- off like you did the counselor. As it seems that you've matured a bit since the incident we will help you out. And be advised that very many wannabees seek only the answer they want to hear and leave out relevant details.

I guess that's fair. I would not have thought that people would come onto a forum like this with that sort of attitude. Yes, this was almost 10 years ago, so I have matured quite a bit since. I definitely had an attitude problem when I was younger but am now very respectful, motivated and disciplined.

I'll head over today and see what the recruiter says. Thanks for the input.

TaylorHudson
09-17-08, 03:05 PM
So don't be offended,, or worse get stupid,,, just know that an awful lot of experience detecting BS is looking at your post. So your shiat better be frogs azz water tight or you'll be exposed.

No offense taken. Like I said, I just figured that anyone who came on here with questions would be 100% no-BS serious about joining the Corps.

[/quote]Why would you want to give yourself a tattoo?[/quote]

I was 16 and my mom obviously would not let me get one :-P

AL49BGN
09-17-08, 03:11 PM
No offense taken. Like I said, I just figured that anyone who came on here with questions would be 100% no-BS serious about joining the Corps.

Why would you want to give yourself a tattoo?[/quote]

I was 16 and my mom obviously would not let me get one :-P[/quote]
We all make mistakes,just talk to your recruiter.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 04:53 PM
I would definitely ask the recruiter but if it was 10 years ago and you were a minor it may not be something that you have to disclose and worry about. Your recruiter may tell you otherwise or maybe he may say no way around it, I am not sure. But at least ask and see, good luck

TaylorHudson
09-17-08, 06:17 PM
I would definitely ask the recruiter but if it was 10 years ago and you were a minor it may not be something that you have to disclose and worry about. Your recruiter may tell you otherwise or maybe he may say no way around it, I am not sure. But at least ask and see, good luck

The issue here is obviously not that I told an authority figure to "**** off" or tattooed myself. My point is, if someone had done exactly what I did and not had the same unfortunate outcome, the Marine Corps would have no issue. Waivers are granted for felonies and even drug use, but it still "looks" worse on paper to see, "oh, this guy was sent to a psychiatric hospital."

What I am now worried about when going to speak to the recruiter, is that I would disclose this, hear a "no way," and then get some kind of red flag attached to my file so that I wouldn't be able to apply again.

Not disclosing, or lying about a technicality is something I do not see any moral dilemma in, as what happened in the past does not create a liability for the people I would be serving with (versus hiding information about mental illness, medical issues, etc.)

I'm wondering what you Marines think of this (obviously not something I can ask the recruiter.) Do you have a problem with it or see it as doing something wrong? I want to make it clear that I would see withholding as a way around a bureaucratic technicality and not, "I don't have a problem with lying to my country." Like I said before, I would never be dishonest about something which could eventually put someone else in jeopardy.

Just want to see what some of you guys think before I go down to the recruiting office. Thanks.

rvillac2
09-17-08, 06:21 PM
None of us would seriously tell you to hide it from your recruiter. <br />
Disclose it and let the chips fall where they may. <br />
You will not want to be a week away from graduation and then get discharged...

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 06:29 PM
Thats all I'm saying, why not try to call an RS other than yours and ask and see what the guy says and then proceed from there. I personally don't see you having a problem. But I am not qualified to say.

UsmcMotorT
09-17-08, 06:48 PM
Problem with authority?

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 06:53 PM
I said stuff as a kid, who knows maybe the other party was an ass. Just cause your a kid doesn't mean you should have some teacher who, who knows may or may not be a sh*thead himself try to regulate you and get you sent to a Psych ward. Sounds absurd to me.

TaylorHudson
09-17-08, 07:31 PM
I said stuff as a kid, who knows maybe the other party was an ass. Just cause your a kid doesn't mean you should have some teacher who, who knows may or may not be a sh*thead himself try to regulate you and get you sent to a Psych ward. Sounds absurd to me.

Yea, I guess I was just unlucky. I've met totally straight never stole a dime American as apple pie guys who had been put away much longer than 3 days for doing absolutely nothing as kids, though usually occurred much long ago. Like you said, some authority figures get out of hand and the system doesn't always work the way it's supposed to, unfortunately.

I'll take your advice rvillac and we'll just see what happens. Thanks for the input everybody.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 07:34 PM
Taylor, just realize you can't take it back it happened and so fricken what. One day at a time starting with today and work with it. I really don't think that one incident will impact you. I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted.