PDA

View Full Version : New Devil Dog needs advice on reporting in...

Requiem
09-17-08, 12:08 AM
Hello, Marines.

I am a young PFC who graduated boot in May, and I should be finished with my training in December provided all goes well. I was wondering if I could ask for some advice on reporting to a new unit... I already know to have a fresh haircut (but does it depend on what reg?) and I will be wearing Alphas, but as far as conduct goes and the actual arriving there... what should I be looking for/focusing on specifically so as to not look like an ass bag when I arrive?

All advice is appreciated,
-PFC Pirl

Achped
09-17-08, 03:25 AM
American Defense ribbon? What the hell Marine Corps are you in?

Make sure your uniform is squared away, I checked into my unit with a PFC, and he got tore into by a SSgt (AOOD)...I mean utterly tore up from the floor up. And then being as I was the lance corporal, it eventually was "my fault" and I was told to square him away. It really wasn't me though, we got to Hawaii on a Friday and I told him he needed his uniform squared away almost twice a day, he just didn't care.

Your alphas need to be perfect. Trust me, you may get that "one" SNCO who just wants to obliterate your life, and he will find it. Once they find one thing wrong with your alphas they will tear them up. I was fine, he just overlooked me real quick and went to work with him, but man that was the nastiest ass chewing I've ever seen. The guy was already scared to death, checking into the fleet, and then to just harass him like that? It was brutal.

Anyways, just don't look like an idiot, and don't report to your 1st sgt and call him "sir." I was checking in a Marine about 2 months ago who did that, all you heard was "Good morning sir, PFC Fl------" "WHAT? THE ONLY MARINE IN THIS BATTALION WITH MORE BLACK ON HIS COLLAR THAN ME IS THE SGT MAJOR, AND YOU STILL CANT TELL IM NOT AN OFFICER? GET THE HELL OUTTA MY OFFICE"

It is good morning/whatever first sergeant, not sir.

Don't buy a car if anyone is selling one.

Don't be a stupid boot! You're a man right? Talk like a man! Don't whisper just because the guy you're talking to is a SNCO, this isn't boot, MOS school, or MCT. NCOs, SNCOs are people too. (Well most) If a SNCO is like "So where you coming from?" Don't say "mos school SSGT!" be a human being, especially if he's YOUR SNCO, he obviously knows that already. Tell him "Well I was at MOS school at xxxx, then took leave at home in xxx, SSgt". Of course depending on your SNCO he may not give a damn. You just have to have tact and the wisdom to know when to have a conversation and when to keep things short. You're going to get **** on, no doubt, but if someone is taking it to the next level don't be afraid to step up.

Oh and fix your avatar, you're out of uniform.

As for the reg of the haircut, it depends on your MOS. As a brand new 0311 PFC checking into the fleet, you better have a high and gay, but its pretty lenient depending on where you're going and what your MOS is.

Chumley
09-17-08, 07:09 AM
Nice job Achped! Good luck to you Requiem! The best way to keep your free time yours is to be squared away. Like Achped said, the SSgt bypassed him because he was squared away and addressed the slovenly PFC. That's what I call human camoflague. The exact opposite applies when you are going out to meet women....that's when you hang out with the ugliest and most poorly dressed of your buddies, so you do stand out. :marine:

SFi
C

Requiem
09-17-08, 12:37 PM
Thankyou for the advice, Lance Corporal. I edited my avatar as soon as I posted it just took some time to update, and i feel retarded about the ribbon... wrong one :(

It should be fixed as I updated it on the military signatures site.