PDA

View Full Version : Beaufort Marines back from deployment to Iraq

thedrifter
09-16-08, 08:14 PM
Beaufort Marines back from deployment to Iraq

Posted: Sep 16, 2008 05:13 PM

Updated: Sep 16, 2008 06:12 PM

By Jaime Dailey - bio | email

BEAUFORT, SC (WTOC) - More than 200 Marines and sailors from Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort are back home with family and friends after a seven month deployment to Al Asad, Iraq.

Friends and family gathered around Marines and sailors with Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 115 and MALS 31, welcoming them back home with lots of hugs and kisses.

"It's awesome," said Beaufort Marines Arlene Neckles. "I'm so happy to see my son and husband, green trees and grass."

"It's great to be home, see trees, green grass, of course my family, my children, it's pretty amazing," said another Beaufort Marine Sgt. Lukas Atwell.

"I can't describe it," said Staff Sgt. Waldemar Valasquez. "It feels good, feelings that I've held back for seven months, it's great."

It's a moment the Valasquez family and many others have been waiting for.

While they are all certainly glad to be back home, they're proud of their accomplishments in Iraq providing close-air support for troops on the ground.

"I think it's awesome," said Arlene Neckles. "I think having a chance to actually serve and be a part of it is what I joined for and I'm happy to get that chance."

"This squadron did an absolute excellent job," said Maj. Michael Juenger. "They're a bunch of professional warriors and I couldn't ask for a better performance from anyone."

While this is not the first deployment to Iraq for many of these Marines and sailors, many are ready to do what needs to be done.

"If I ended up there in a couple of years, no big deal," said Sgt. Karen Rudolph. "I know what we're doing is right."

For their service and dedication to our country, we at WTOC salute these brave Marines and sailors from Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort.

Ellie

thedrifter
09-17-08, 01:47 AM
Welcome home, Marines! Two squadrons return from 7-month tour in Iraq <br />
Published Tue, Sep 16, 2008 12:00 AM <br />
<br />
By PATRICK DONOHUE <br />
pdonohue@beaufortgazette.com <br />
843-986-5531 <br />
<br />
Friends, family...