PDA

View Full Version : When I take the ASVAB...

Rains
09-16-08, 02:05 PM
...will I be able to have a peice of paper and a pencil to work out problems and such?
I am about to take a full length ASVAB to see where I'm at and what needs improving, but I just want to know if I should or should'nt use paper and pencil to help me.

mrmorency
09-16-08, 02:11 PM
When I took the ASVAB at the Cleveland MEPS we were given a pencil and paper. I would assume that it's standard practice.

Rains
09-16-08, 02:23 PM
Awsome, Thanks.
Just got my lunch and I am ready.. I will post here what score I get just for the bemusment of who ever gives a crap about it. :cool:

Abyss
09-16-08, 07:41 PM
Good luck with the ASVAB, I'm taking it in a month.

sparkie
09-16-08, 07:42 PM
O,m,g,

mrmorency
09-16-08, 08:51 PM
What's the matter Corporal?

sparkie
09-16-08, 08:54 PM
Do you see a corpral?????

AaronJM1984
09-16-08, 09:06 PM
Yeah, he is definately a Sargent! Wow, how disrespectful!

And yes, you will be provided a piece of paper and pencil. I suggest you study up on your Marine Corps chevrons.

Do-Or-Die
09-16-08, 10:20 PM
When I took the ASVAB, I was on a computer, and also given a piece of paper and pencil. Good luck with your test, let me know what you got.

Oh ya, good job mrmorency.

fjmas1976
09-16-08, 10:26 PM
What's the matter Corporal?
The Range is now hot. Ready on the left. Ready on the right. Marines you may now commence fire on the idiot who doesn't know rank insignia/structure.:evilgrin:
Un-**** yourself, Mrmorency.

sparkie
09-16-08, 10:41 PM
That's OK, boys. I probly have skivvie stains older than him,,,,,I'm not offended, let him stick around and learn. Lets be here to help him out,,,,,,,,,,

CplGiraffe
09-16-08, 11:08 PM

And yes, you will be provided a piece of paper and pencil. I suggest you study up on your Marine Corps chevrons.

And I suggest you study up on how to spell out the rank of Sergeant. ;)

Achped
09-16-08, 11:34 PM
The Range is now hot. Ready on the left. Ready on the right. Marines you may now commence fire on the idiot who doesn't know rank insignia/structure.:evilgrin:
Un-**** yourself, Mrmorency.

STAND BY!

TARGET!

RYDERKUR
09-16-08, 11:40 PM
Cease fire, cease fire...unload show clear....Sergeant said to ease off. He F'ed up and will learn by it.

ZSKI
09-17-08, 01:50 AM

Honestly If you are giving anyone **** about anything USMC get through bootcamp first.

dizark
09-17-08, 09:27 AM
Don't panic about the ASVAB. It's not too difficult of a test as long as you know your math fundamentals, some electrical, auto and shop, and you can read and have some good word comprehension.

Good luck to you.

benw2200
09-17-08, 09:39 AM
Be sure you're good at doing division and multiplication on paper.. a lot of people including myself get so used to using a calculator that they almost forget how to do it by hand.

Rains
09-17-08, 10:49 AM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 bgColor=#bcd3e0 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=standard-bold>Section</TD><TD class=standard-bold># Questions</TD><TD class=standard-bold># Correct</TD><TD class=standard-bold># Incorrect</TD><TD class=standard-bold>Correct %</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=standard>General Science</TD><TD class=standard>25</TD><TD class=standard>12</TD><TD class=standard>13</TD><TD class=standard>48</TD><TD class=standard>see answers (http://www.*************/Military/ASVAB/ASVABAnswers?test_id=4&section=GS)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=standard>Arithmetic Reasoning</TD><TD class=standard>30</TD><TD class=standard>21</TD><TD class=standard>9</TD><TD class=standard>70</TD><TD class=standard>see answers (http://www.*************/Military/ASVAB/ASVABAnswers?test_id=4&section=AR)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=standard>Word Knowledge</TD><TD class=standard>35</TD><TD class=standard>27</TD><TD class=standard>8</TD><TD class=standard>77.1</TD><TD class=standard>see answers (http://www.*************/Military/ASVAB/ASVABAnswers?test_id=4&section=WK)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=standard>Paragraph Comprehension</TD><TD class=standard>15</TD><TD class=standard>15</TD><TD class=standard>0</TD><TD class=standard>100</TD><TD class=standard>see answers (http://www.*************/Military/ASVAB/ASVABAnswers?test_id=4&section=PC)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=standard>Auto & Shop Information</TD><TD class=standard>25</TD><TD class=standard>8</TD><TD class=standard>17</TD><TD class=standard>32</TD><TD class=standard>see answers (http://www.*************/Military/ASVAB/ASVABAnswers?test_id=4&section=AS)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=standard>Mathematics Knowledge</TD><TD class=standard>25</TD><TD class=standard>9</TD><TD class=standard>16</TD><TD class=standard>36</TD><TD class=standard>see answers (http://www.*************/Military/ASVAB/ASVABAnswers?test_id=4&section=MK)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=standard>Mechanical Comprehension</TD><TD class=standard>25</TD><TD class=standard>4</TD><TD class=standard>21</TD><TD class=standard>16</TD><TD class=standard>see answers (http://www.*************/Military/ASVAB/ASVABAnswers?test_id=4&section=MC)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=standard>Electronics Information</TD><TD class=standard>20</TD><TD class=standard>7</TD><TD class=standard>13</TD><TD class=standard>35</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Well... I deffinatly need to study, I know that I can get a much better score next time I take it. :thumbup:

And by the way, can anyone tell me what score I would have gotten with those numbers up there?
</FORM>

Rains
09-17-08, 11:03 AM
Quik question. Does anyone know what I have to score on the ASVAB and how well in what areas, to qualify for the 1371 MOS (Combat Engineer)?

phantasm
09-17-08, 12:50 PM
Quik question. Does anyone know what I have to score on the ASVAB and how well in what areas, to qualify for the 1371 MOS (Combat Engineer)?

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/1371new.htm

You'll need 95 or higher on the MM section of the test.

Rains
09-17-08, 01:53 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/1371new.htm

You'll need 95 or higher on the MM section of the test.

Thanks.

I am going to get some books and read up, my new goal is to ace the MM section of the test.

PooleeCarson
09-28-08, 02:25 PM
There really is no possible way to study for the ASVAb Rains. Its just a matter of what you know and don't know

gnarkill04
09-28-08, 03:10 PM
I got a 96 on my MM score. Juuust high enough to qualify for small arms tech. :D

I still cant believe that Cpl. comment... hahaha

Streeter
09-28-08, 03:14 PM
Be sure you're good at doing division and multiplication on paper.. a lot of people including myself get so used to using a calculator that they almost forget how to do it by hand.

I can second that.

degenerate138
09-28-08, 03:56 PM
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway:

The technical sections, such as electrical and Auto & Shop sections are only for those specific types of MOS's, correct? So if I was to be an 03xx, those results wouldn't really have any meaning? Because I really don't know anything about being an electrician, other than what I learned in Physics.

Rains
09-29-08, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone, I will do the best I can on the ASVAB.

OB MSG
09-29-08, 02:43 PM
Degenerate 138: Get that thought out of your brain housing group! You will give your best effort on the ASVAB to get the best score you can, no if's, and's, or freakin' but's about it! <br />
<br />
Answer me...

Phantom Blooper
09-29-08, 03:15 PM
Rains,

Looks like you could use a calculator...instead of pencil & scratch paper.:evilgrin:

Streeter
09-29-08, 04:10 PM
Rains,

Looks like you could use a calculator...instead of pencil & scratch paper.:evilgrin:

So you can use a calculator?

degenerate138
09-29-08, 04:44 PM
Understood, SSgt! I will get the best possible score I can on the ASVAB, no excuses!

Rains
09-29-08, 05:55 PM
Rains,

What do you mean Staff Sergeant?

Rains
09-29-08, 05:59 PM
There really is no possible way to study for the ASVAb Rains. Its just a matter of what you know and don't know

I disagree with you Carson, If I study up on certian subjects, for example, I study up on how machines run, then I will get a better score on the Mechanical comprehinsion/auto and shop section because I know more about machines.

You cant know anything without studying it or learning it first.

Phantom Blooper
09-29-08, 07:13 PM
What do you mean Staff Sergeant?

Consider it a smart azz answer Rains....you did well on you initial ASVAB.You can do better!

You asked about pencil and paper...evidently to work the math problems...and I seen the math reasoning score and figured the pencil and scratch paper didn't help much.

Other than that I am in agreement that knowledge is power and you can learn something new every day. That's why the Marine Corps has manuals,schools and a Marine Corps Institute (MCI's)for further education development.

Study the ASVAB book...available in libraries or bookstores and even though from what I am told those are sample questions you should improve the next time....but don't dwell on it.

Good luck to you!:evilgrin:

Rains
09-30-08, 12:26 PM
Consider it a smart azz answer Rains....you did well on you initial ASVAB.You can do better!

You asked about pencil and paper...evidently to work the math problems...and I seen the math reasoning score and figured the pencil and scratch paper didn't help much.

Other than that I am in agreement that knowledge is power and you can learn something new every day. That's why the Marine Corps has manuals,schools and a Marine Corps Institute (MCI's)for further education development.

Study the ASVAB book...available in libraries or bookstores and even though from what I am told those are sample questions you should improve the next time....but don't dwell on it.

Good luck to you!:evilgrin:

WOW! I was under the impression that I failed my first ASVAB test... you just took a huge burden off my mind Staff Segeant.

Regarding the studying of a ASVAB book, I have purchased one, and am currently studying it everyday.

Thank you!

OB MSG
09-30-08, 12:40 PM
Good to go, Poolees! As SSgt Phantom said, "Knowledge is Power."

Study, ask questions, study some more, take some breaks to PT and let your brain cool a bit, but keep going over things in your mind. As for Mechanical, look at simple machines, (levers, pulleys, etc.). One of the question sections I remember had you looking at a series of pulleys with a cord snaking through them. This is an easy one if you don't out think your self.

That is one thing I tell people, especially my wife who is in an MBA Course (Masters of Business Administration, for those that don't know), DON'T OUT-THINK YOURSELF.

Also remember KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Rains
09-30-08, 05:40 PM
Good to go, Poolees! As SSgt Phantom said, "Knowledge is Power."

Study, ask questions, study some more, take some breaks to PT and let your brain cool a bit, but keep going over things in your mind. As for Mechanical, look at simple machines, (levers, pulleys, etc.). One of the question sections I remember had you looking at a series of pulleys with a cord snaking through them. This is an easy one if you don't out think your self.

That is one thing I tell people, especially my wife who is in an MBA Course (Masters of Business Administration, for those that don't know), DON'T OUT-THINK YOURSELF.

Also remember KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Aye Aye Staff Sergeant!

Jyates383
10-01-08, 05:52 AM
Dont stress over the Asvab after all it is just an apptitude test. That doesnt mean you shouldn't give it your best shot. Most of the questions on it are pretty simple if you dont over think them. Good luck.