PDA

View Full Version : 0351 - Assultman

MarinesFTW
09-16-08, 01:40 PM
As most of you know my last post did not turn out the way I had expected and I have learned my lesson. This time I did everything i could to find out information about the 0351 MOS and im still not satisfied with the results i have been getting. So if anyone here has personal experience as an 0351 or can tell me some more information on them it would be great. Just to get started I have been wondering what does a normal Assultman carry on him while in the field as in weapons and stuff.

Thank You, Daniel

Rains
09-16-08, 01:46 PM
As most of you know my last post did not turn out the way I had expected and I have learned my lesson. This time I did everything i could to find out information about the 0351 MOS and im still not satisfied with the results i have been getting. So if anyone here has personal experience as an 0351 or can tell me some more information on them it would be great. Just to get started I have been wondering what does a normal Assultman carry on him while in the field as in weapons and stuff.

Thank You, Daniel

Try going to Ask.com and typing in "Marine Corps 0351 MOS", that should give you a description of what that job entails.
I would give you a link, but the site is blocked... for some reason. :no:

MarinesFTW
09-16-08, 01:51 PM
Try going to Ask.com and typing in "Marine Corps 0351 MOS", that should give you a description of what that job entails.
I would give you a link, but the site is blocked... for some reason. :no:

I have read all of those pages... Most of them just give a very vague description of the job, I am wanting a more first at hand experienced person to shed some more light on this situation.

Daniel

Rains
09-16-08, 02:02 PM
I have read all of those pages... Most of them just give a very vague description of the job, I am wanting a more first at hand experienced person to shed some more light on this situation.

Daniel

Oh you did, but yea, they give a very vague discription of it. I'm sorry, but I really do not know how else to find this out besides talking with your recruiter or Marines in that feild. Good luck.:thumbup:

MarinesFTW
09-16-08, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the help anyways

Rains
09-17-08, 02:18 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0351new.htm

I am not shure how much about it you have read, but this might help out some.

Achped
09-17-08, 05:17 PM
My good friend on this board, Accord is an 0351, while he was in ITB I was about to ship to boot so we were talking quite often. The way they picked him for 0351 is they asked who was good at math, Accord had taken college calculus so he raised his hand. He got selected and said it was still pretty tough doing the math for the C4 and such despite his experience.

0351s are a missile-snipers, they basically play around with a bad-ass rocket launcher (called a SMAW). Imagine a bazooka, on steroids...and you can put it through a window hundreds of meters away.

You will carry C4, possibly the SMAW its not always needed on missions, and your M16/M4, ACOG, NVGs, PEQ-15, as well as other stuff.

You'll be in a weapons company, not a line company, so you won't be with the 11s. You'll be with the mortarmen, TOW gunners, machine gunners, etc.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 05:40 PM
Ach, we had 51's in WPNS plt, they don't do that anymore ?

Achped
09-17-08, 05:53 PM
You know I'm not entirely sure about that. I'll try to find out for you.

From what I'd heard Wpns platoon was mostly/all 31s and 41s, as 51s are pretty rare. I don't think there are enough 51's to be in every Wpns platoon.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 06:03 PM
We were 31's 41's and 51's in the plt. The WPNS Co. had 31's for 50 cals 41's for the 80mm and 52's for Tows. Of course we had the Dragon and the SMAW so there may have been 51's in WPNS Co. Don't remember too old I guess. Good luck to you Bro on your deployment.

MarinesFTW
09-17-08, 07:54 PM
Thank you so much Achped you answered alot of my questions it helped very much, its exactly what i was hoping to hear... and now a nother question... Can I enlist as a 0351 or is it always 03xx?

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 08:00 PM
You get the field such as 03 not the designator such as 11 21 31 41 51 52

Achped
09-17-08, 08:12 PM
Like the Corporal said, unless you're a reservist you will only be guaranteed 0300. Which means you could end up an 0311, 0331, 0341, 0351, 0321, 03xx...or an 0311 serving on the Silent Drill Platoon, FAST Company, or standing outside the white house in your dress blues.

HurricaneRJ
09-17-08, 08:13 PM
51'a are in WPNS platoons.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 08:17 PM
See I knew it Ach, I'm not that far gone lol, thanks Hurricane

MarinesFTW
09-17-08, 08:21 PM
Thats what i thought and wanted to make sure... i still have about 9 months before i can enlist (july 1st 2009) and was just wondering.. thank you all for your help you have made this alot easier to understand and have sloved my issue. Thank You Marines.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 08:30 PM
Some jobs you need to ask your recruiter about. For example when I was in to be an Ebassy guard or 8th and I you had to be Infantry. But my current recruiter was an Engineer and went to MSG duty so get a pen and pad and write down a list of specific questions.

MarinesFTW
09-17-08, 08:43 PM
Ye, im going to talk to him tomorrow to figure out more details on it and hopefully be able to make a decision.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 09:07 PM
Always be prepared, this is a way to start that process, even though I don't heed my own advice sometimes.

Do as I say not as I do grasshopper;)

MarinesFTW
09-18-08, 08:56 AM
Lol thanks i still got plenty of time so we will see how it unfolds i guess

MarinesFTW
09-18-08, 05:11 PM
Does anyone have any idea what they might do daily?

HurricaneRJ
09-18-08, 05:27 PM
If you are in Weapons Co. or Platoon. They skate all day, theres not much they can do as they support us (0311's.) Yeah I said it!!

Literally, they sleep all day here, it's insane, they get off before us, they PT less than us and they'll go to the field once in a blue moon, unless the whole Co. is scheduled to go out. But, I'm not hating, weapons are good Marines though. I want to switch and become a 0351 later on in my career.

MarinesFTW
09-18-08, 06:35 PM
Hey thanks that helped me a little bit, im preaty much going to sign up for 03xx and hope to get 0351 but 0311 would not sadden me in the least i wouldn't care which one i had just as long as i get one of them and thanks for the help man appreciate it.

Mikewebe
09-18-08, 09:37 PM
Lol, Hurricane is full of crap. Well kind of. When you hump you out hump those tiny whiny 11's but when you get to the field everyone forgets about you. So we build cool hooches and cook stuff and yes sleep. But we HUMP the WEIGHT we RATE to SKATE

HurricaneRJ
09-18-08, 10:15 PM
Stand back poolees. Two Jarheads are talking ****, COVER YOUR ****ING EYES!!!!!!!
LOL OMG you said that **** Cpl???

I'm done, can't touch this ****, I'm just a boot!!! LOL I'm going to sleep, before I type something that I really don't mean because he has a damn point.

******* Weapons, they make feel like **** everyday I see them.

HurricaneRJ
09-18-08, 10:17 PM
Just reading that again made me bite my tongue so hard that now I'm bleeding out the mouth. **** this ****, I'm straight **** bagging the rest of my time in this fabulous Corps because thats all Weapons Plt does!

MarinesFTW
09-19-08, 08:46 AM
Settle down hurricane... if your going to fight please do it in a pm and not on my thread.

Mikewebe
09-19-08, 11:57 AM
We aren't fighting just the typical stuff we do is beat on each other verbally, me and Hurricane are all good;)

Achped
09-19-08, 05:17 PM
ROFL ROFL I swear to God, a platoon of 11's just ran by (its 1216) and they were singing "31s, where you at?" "51s, where you at?" "41s, where you at?"

Probably at ****ing chow lol, where else would they be? PTing like psychos? No

Mikewebe
09-19-08, 06:01 PM
ROFL You guys kill me. We had more dropouts on company and Bn humps that were 11's than anything else. Big old guys practically dragging their rifles and getting passed up. Then a 130 lb 41 with the same gear and a base plate would get to him and snatch his rifle.

HurricaneRJ
09-19-08, 08:16 PM
*Coughs* Let me remind you Cpl. Mike, that was the old Corps your were living in. We 11's got a little pride in us now.

Mikewebe
09-19-08, 08:22 PM
I feel ya brother. I am 38 and going to an almost all 11 unit and man it hurts to know I ain't the young Marine I was. I'll be the one struggling now.

Love ya RJ and I know its just individuals that are weak. I saw a guy hump 2 81 barrels on our 20 miler for about 200 yards before someone relieved him of one. All cause one of our undesireables fell out with it.

Accord
09-20-08, 07:43 AM
If you are in Weapons Co. or Platoon. They skate all day, theres not much they can do as they support us (0311's.) Yeah I said it!!

Literally, they sleep all day here, it's insane, they get off before us, they PT less than us and they'll go to the field once in a blue moon, unless the whole Co. is scheduled to go out. But, I'm not hating, weapons are good Marines though. I want to switch and become a 0351 later on in my career.

Mabye that's how you roll in 1/8, but the rest of the Marine Corps ain't 1/8.

MarinesFTW
09-20-08, 07:40 PM
Anyone else got anymore info they can add for me?

HurricaneRJ
09-20-08, 07:44 PM
What exactly are you looking for.

Accord can tell you what training at SOI is like, but here in the fleet. They head to demo ranges, practice misfire procedures for the SMAWs, they usually team up with us when we do MOUT or Combat town. 51's are badass mother****ers.

MarinesFTW
09-20-08, 07:46 PM
That is exactly what i want to know...... lol

Mikewebe
09-21-08, 01:24 PM
Is the dragon still in service, and if not what did they replace it with.

Phantom Blooper
09-21-08, 02:13 PM

Yeah.....don't tell any Marine on this site to settle down........whether he's a boot or farting dust...If and when you become a Marine then you can then chastise or talk shiat!

And spell Assaultman right the next time...your giving the 03 field a bad wrap!:evilgrin:

MarinesFTW
09-21-08, 06:22 PM
Ye phantom i noticed my mistake after i posted it, sorry about that and i didn't mean any disrespect.

HurricaneRJ
09-21-08, 06:45 PM
FTW. When I was a poolee, I showed every Marine the respect and made damn sure that I called them by their rank and name.
I never once called Phantom Blooper -Phantom. It was always SSgt.

MarinesFTW
09-21-08, 06:51 PM
Im sorry PFC Hurricane i know i shoud and second im not a poolee yet i still got to wait quite a while...

Accord
09-25-08, 09:15 AM
Im sorry PFC Hurricane i know i shoud and second im not a poolee yet i still got to wait quite a while...Bro, don't apologize. You're not a Marine, you haven't signed any contracts yet, the Marine Corps does not own your soul, and you're not even in DEP yet... I would never expect a civilian to call me "Lance Corporal"... I prefer John. It doesn't fricken matter, and apologizing just shows weakness.

Crusader20
09-25-08, 10:38 AM
Is the dragon still in service, and if not what did they replace it with.

Mike,
I understand that the Javiline took over for the Dragon that we had. They are now in the '52s.

I understand that the '51s are now just with the SMAW and other stuff that you guys have already talked about.

Back in my day, at 3/8, we were with the line company. Each SMAW team was assigned to a Plt. They would train with that Plt. If the Plt went to the field, then they (the team) went to the field. But for the most part, yes, we were forgoten.

One of my Captains used us as a little STA team for the company. That was cool. :p

nortelpilot
10-16-08, 04:37 PM
When I elnisted in 77 I started off in IT school in Pendelton after basic at Parris Island.I was chosen to be in wpns plt and wound up as a 51.
Back then it was the old 106mm and Laaws rocket.We cross trained as 31 and 41's and mostly were together but sometimes would go out with the 11's.
My primary weapon was the M202 rocket launcher which replaced the old flamethrower.Sometimes I would carry an M-60 and we always had laaws with us.We also used C4 and some det cord.
Which we had some of those cool weapons they have now,we used the old M-16 with single shot or full auto.
Just to let everyone know

bgsuwoody
10-20-08, 07:08 AM
Somedays I really wonder if I should have been a 51 especially after I shoot a rocket. Let me tell you they are in wpns co, but they are also attached in each platoon. Our 51s are basically 11's and they are damn good at it. I have full confidence in their ability to assault houses, patrol, and protect my ass and then when I need something blown the **** up. I sure as hell know they can do that. Its a pretty cool job and the only other MOS that I would like to be in the Marine Corps short of 0369.

yellowwing
10-20-08, 07:23 AM
My good friend on this board, Accord is an 0351, while he was in ITB I was about to ship to boot so we were talking quite often. The way they picked him for 0351 is they asked who was good at math, Accord had taken college calculus so he raised his hand. He got selected and said it was still pretty tough doing the math for the C4 and such despite his experience.

I did not know that. I thought you just had to have big brass balls to be a 0351. Thanks for the update. :thumbup:

Achped
10-20-08, 09:55 AM
Somedays I really wonder if I should have been a 51 especially after I shoot a rocket. Let me tell you they are in wpns co, but they are also attached in each platoon. Our 51s are basically 11's and they are damn good at it. I have full confidence in their ability to assault houses, patrol, and protect my ass and then when I need something blown the **** up. I sure as hell know they can do that. Its a pretty cool job and the only other MOS that I would like to be in the Marine Corps short of 0369.

0369? You gonna be a lifer on the E side of the house woody? Even with that degree? ;)

bgsuwoody
10-21-08, 09:38 AM
Hey I love my job man and the responsiblity and the leadership. We'll see how life and this upcoming deployment go before I start making rash decisions, I just said I would love to be one. Little motivated talk in the morning lol.

bgsuwoody
10-21-08, 09:43 AM
I am going to have to say that a lot of the info being given here is based on the unit. I will say right now that are weapons guys at least in Weapons platoon here, I dont know much about Weapons Co. cause they do their own thing, are some of the most knowledgeable, hardworking, and dominant forces in our Co. They work just as hard if not harder, having to learn not only their jobs, but whatever job the squad or team leader in the platoon to which they are attached tell them to. They are always working on something. They may get in a little more trouble than most, but damn if I would ever say that they didn't work as hard or skated any more than us. I would have to say 2 of the NCO's I admire the most are in Weapons and one Senior Lance, for their work ethic and abilities. Lets not generalize so bad...I know I'm known to do it, but damn if you can crack on YOUR BOYS like this RJ.

bgsuwoody
10-21-08, 11:27 AM
Hey I love my job man and the responsiblity and the leadership. We'll see how life and this upcoming deployment go before I start making rash decisions, I just said I would love to be one. Little motivated talk in the morning lol.

I kind of felt wierd for a while saying that this was a rash decision. I joined this Corps to do a damn good job and hopefully someday lead Marines. If it means re-enlisting...we'll take it one day at a time, but it isn't rash...I'd do it in a hartbeat if the opportunity came about...It wouldn't be the first time I'd have to prepare in short periods of time...but isn't that what the Marine Corps teaches us.

yellowwing
10-21-08, 11:40 AM
You are definitely one of us Mike! You jarhead mutha you!

Cpl Schutt
10-22-08, 07:15 AM

0351 is a dead MOS. Sergeant's cutting score has been closed out for five months now and I've heard rumors they're not even training new 0351's in SOI any more. If you do have a choice to become a 51, I wouldn't take it since there's no room to advance in rank.

All that negativity aside, it's a really cool MOS. The satisfaction of blowing the absolute **** out of large objects is outstanding. We carry more weight than 11's but not as much as the other 03 MOS's. But the thing is this: for the past 5 years every 03 and a whole lotta Marines in general are all going to Iraq or Afghanistan. Usually when you get in country you perform the job that is needed. For example I trained up to be a 51, deployed and ended up performing the job of an 11; pointman on patrols, radio operator, nav man, that sort of thing.

The end result? Do whatever 03 training you want, then just go STA. Thats the way to go if you own a pair...

arjones0351
10-22-08, 08:58 AM
I spent 7 years in the Corps as an 0351 and served in Iraq in the beginning when SMAWs were as freely deployed as an M-16 as well as all of our demo capabilities. I would have never wanted a different MOS. We are the Jack of all Trades and master of none. The bastard children of the Corps. We tell the commanders what we do and where we are going to do it and they change their plan based on how to use us the most effectively. Being a part of Assault was the greatest part of being in the Corps. It is a difficult job and you carry a SH*T load of weight especially when in combat. But you cause the most destruction out of any other grunt and you are used for more reasons than any other grunt. You're a tank killer, a bunker buster, a dynamic entry expert, a demo expert, a mine expert and everyone gets the hell out of your way when someone screams out, "ASSAULT UP!!!" That's my opinion. I loved that job! Late!

srinaldo86
10-22-08, 09:10 AM
I spent 7 years in the Corps as an 0351 and served in Iraq in the beginning when SMAWs were as freely deployed as an M-16 as well as all of our demo capabilities. I would have never wanted a different MOS. We are the Jack of all Trades and master of none. The bastard children of the Corps. We tell the commanders what we do and where we are going to do it and they change their plan based on how to use us the most effectively. Being a part of Assault was the greatest part of being in the Corps. It is a difficult job and you carry a SH*T load of weight especially when in combat. But you cause the most destruction out of any other grunt and you are used for more reasons than any other grunt. You're a tank killer, a bunker buster, a dynamic entry expert, a demo expert, a mine expert and everyone gets the hell out of your way when someone screams out, "ASSAULT UP!!!" That's my opinion. I loved that job! Late!

Sweet Jesus that was inspiring Cpl., I kind of want to change my MOS now! :yes:

MarinesFTW
10-24-08, 03:45 PM

HELL YAH! Motoed me right up tyvm this just adds up the reasons for wanting to try for it.. Thank you very much Cpl

WKranz
10-26-08, 04:23 AM
I just got selected for 0351 at SOI so anyone who wants knowledge on what school is like, feel free to message me and i'll give you the news ASAP.

PaidinBlood
12-04-08, 08:29 AM
0351 is a dead MOS. Sergeant's cutting score has been closed out for five months now and I've heard rumors they're not even training new 0351's in SOI any more. If you do have a choice to become a 51, I wouldn't take it since there's no room to advance in rank.

All that negativity aside, it's a really cool MOS. The satisfaction of blowing the absolute **** out of large objects is outstanding. We carry more weight than 11's but not as much as the other 03 MOS's. But the thing is this: for the past 5 years every 03 and a whole lotta Marines in general are all going to Iraq or Afghanistan. Usually when you get in country you perform the job that is needed. For example I trained up to be a 51, deployed and ended up performing the job of an 11; pointman on patrols, radio operator, nav man, that sort of thing.

The end result? Do whatever 03 training you want, then just go STA. Thats the way to go if you own a pair...

Yup. It's true. Been closed out or 1700+ forEVER. They are still training them in SOI, so I don't know why the score is so dumb. Where are these 0351 NCO's? Not in Horno, and not in San Mateo.. They randomly reclassed a bunch of us to 0352 but I missed out on that one. There be strange smells coming from that monitor's office in DC I bet... :bunny:

and RJ or Hurricane or whatever your motivated seniors call you: That is all just hype your SOI instructors fed you to keep you happy in ITB while you spent a month and a half waiting for us to graduate. Rock that ****, just make sure you don't start believing it, man. ;)

Pete0331
12-04-08, 09:25 AM
Where are these 0351 NCO's?

Security Forces.

Matt Brzycki
12-04-08, 03:25 PM
One of the vendors that I deal with is a former Marine. The last time he was here, I introduced him to one of my assistants. I went on to explain briefly about what an MOS is then said, "Rich's MOS was an 0351. Do you know what an 0351 is?" My assistant shook his head no. I said, "An assault man. How cool is that?" My assistant then asked, "What does an assault man do?" to which I replied, "Anything he wants!"

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

E40351Seale
12-07-08, 07:30 AM

Thank You, Daniel

Daniel, If your still looking for this answer let me know. I was an 0351 fom 92 - 96. Stationed in GITMO, Quantico, Camp Lejuene, Okinawa, and visite 29 Palms several times for Death Valley Misery X.

frankls
01-04-09, 02:32 PM
So I was looking fro the cutting scores for 51’s when I stumbled on this thread and noticed no one really answered the question that was asked. Cpl Shutt is one of the few that knows whats going on with the recen 0351 field.
Im an 0351 and have been for 5 years now, stationed in 29 palms. Ive been a 51 both in garrison and in country. No, 0351’s are not lazy and we don’t sleep all day. We do have less field time that nother MOS’s mainly because the weapons we use in the field are not the easiest to get a hold of. On the other hand the 0311 can go to the field more frequently because 55.6 is not a hard ammuntion to get. 0311’s can be easily transported to the field in 7 ton or high back vehicles but we need actual hard top HMMWV’s that can “safely” (according to the USMC) trasport us and our equipment. With the vehicles come another logistic monster. So logistically its harder so we go out fewer times.
When I first joined in 04, 0351’s had the SMAW, Javelin, and demolitions. Now the Javelin has been moved over the the 0352’s (TOW Gunner) and demolitions are more of an EOD resposibility. Like CPL Shutt said, 0351 is a dead MOS. If I wer to reenlist (which im not) id have to make a lat move (MOS change) to another infantry MOS meaning id haveto go through ITB again unless I become an 0311.
0351’s are found in a Wpns. Plt. That are attached with the line companys or also with the Wpns. Co. . In line co. an 0351 sticks mainly to their actual job of the SMAW as they are attached to the diff 0311 plt’s within that co. . An 0351 in a Wpns Co. becomes more of an 0311 and 0331 (riflemen, machinegunner). There they are organized in platoons which is pretty much a mounted unit with nothing more than m16/m4 and machinguns from 249 to m2. Ive been in both so I know this for a fact. When your with wps co. your more of an 11 0r 31 mainly because of the war right now.
It’s a good fun and yes, a bit hard on the mathside when dealing with demo but in Iraq now you wont be using any of that. I did not see one SMAW, Javelin, or demo that wasn’t EOD’s this last deployment. I hope my reply is usefull. Sorry for the misspelling. I don’t think ill ever log back on here but ask if u need just in case.
:iwo:

richerich
01-04-09, 02:42 PM
0351 MOS school was awesome, a lot of I guys I were with (0352s) went to Cuba.

PaidinBlood
01-04-09, 04:01 PM
So I was looking fro the cutting scores for 51’s when I stumbled on this thread and noticed no one really answered the question that was asked. Cpl Shutt is one of the few that knows whats going on with the recen 0351 field.

Im an 0351 and have been for 5 years now, stationed in 29 palms. Ive been a 51 both in garrison and in country. No, 0351’s are not lazy and we don’t sleep all day. We do have less field time that nother MOS’s mainly because the weapons we use in the field are not the easiest to get a hold of. On the other hand the 0311 can go to the field more frequently because 55.6 is not a hard ammuntion to get. 0311’s can be easily transported to the field in 7 ton or high back vehicles but we need actual hard top HMMWV’s that can “safely” (according to the USMC) trasport us and our equipment. With the vehicles come another logistic monster. So logistically its harder so we go out fewer times.
When I first joined in 04, 0351’s had the SMAW, Javelin, and demolitions. Now the Javelin has been moved over the the 0352’s (TOW Gunner) and demolitions are more of an EOD resposibility. Like CPL Shutt said, 0351 is a dead MOS. If I wer to reenlist (which im not) id have to make a lat move (MOS change) to another infantry MOS meaning id haveto go through ITB again unless I become an 0311.
0351’s are found in a Wpns. Plt. That are attached with the line companys or also with the Wpns. Co. . In line co. an 0351 sticks mainly to their actual job of the SMAW as they are attached to the diff 0311 plt’s within that co. . An 0351 in a Wpns Co. becomes more of an 0311 and 0331 (riflemen, machinegunner). There they are organized in platoons which is pretty much a mounted unit with nothing more than m16/m4 and machinguns from 249 to m2. Ive been in both so I know this for a fact. When your with wps co. your more of an 11 0r 31 mainly because of the war right now.
It’s a good fun and yes, a bit hard on the mathside when dealing with demo but in Iraq now you wont be using any of that. I did not see one SMAW, Javelin, or demo that wasn’t EOD’s this last deployment. I hope my reply is usefull. Sorry for the misspelling. I don’t think ill ever log back on here but ask if u need just in case.
:iwo:[/quote]

ps-here's the link for the scores for all MOS's

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,2029930&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

All in all that is pretty accurate but "dead" MOS is a misnomer. They are still coming out of SOI and in fact just this summer stood up an AIT course such as IMLC or IMGLC out here. Having said that, the MOS is in a rut and has a hazy future. Last year there was the wholesale reclassing of some 51's to 52 which the 03xx monitor said was an attempt to begin killing it. Basically there are a lot of mixed messsages floating down from HQMC and the scuttlebutt tends to snowball in the absence of official "Word". We also have to be careful to assume any of our experiences represent the whole field. For example, our assault section (line Co) went out exactly as much as the rifle platoons, we just worked on different stuff when out there. If a range's regs prohibited HE, we used training rounds. In the absence of that we used spotting rounds. The key was for the gun teams and squads to get the feel of integrating with a platoon and utilizing our systems in conventional and other situations.

Not sure about the safety restrictions on transporting Marines. Our personnel and SMAWs travelled in everything with wheels or rotors. The rockets of course must be transported properly, but we took extra precautions, especially in helos. The scariest stateside moment of my life was watching the cap of a rocket fall off in a helo.. :!: Needless to say that NEVER happened again. Also, fore us, combat engineers have taken over some demo as well. i remember having to have some guy from CEB "supervise" me blow up a palm tree in country. Dumb. Anyway, like I said we all have different experiences with the same thing.

s/f :usmc:

PaidinBlood
01-04-09, 04:05 PM

All in all that is pretty accurate but "dead" MOS is a misnomer. They are still coming out of SOI and in fact just this summer stood up an AIT course such as IMLC or IMGLC out here. Having said that, the MOS is in a rut and has a hazy future. Last year there was the wholesale reclassing of some 51's to 52 which the 03xx monitor said was an attempt to begin killing it. Basically there are a lot of mixed messsages floating down from HQMC and the scuttlebutt tends to snowball in the absence of official "Word". We also have to be careful to assume any of our experiences represent the whole field. For example, our assault section (line Co) went out exactly as much as the rifle platoons, we just worked on different stuff when out there. If a range's regs prohibited HE, we used training rounds. In the absence of that we used spotting rounds. The key was for the gun teams and squads to get the feel of integrating with a platoon and utilizing our systems in conventional and other situations.

Not sure about the safety restrictions on transporting Marines. Our personnel and SMAWs travelled in everything with wheels or rotors. The rockets of course must be transported properly, but we took extra precautions, especially in helos. The scariest stateside moment of my life was watching the cap of a rocket fall off in a helo.. :!: Needless to say that NEVER happened again. Also, fore us, combat engineers have taken over some demo as well. i remember having to have some guy from CEB "supervise" me blow up a palm tree in country. Dumb. Anyway, like I said we all have different experiences with the same thing.

PaidinBlood
01-04-09, 04:06 PM

ps-here's the link for the scores for all MOS's

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,2029930&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL