PDA

View Full Version : It looks like I might be signing soon..

phantasm
09-16-08, 11:03 AM
Well, talks have gone well and my wife and I are on board. It looks like I may be signing for a reserve contract. From what I've heard, my MOS choices are slim, either mechanic or driver. One thing 5 yrs. of active duty taught me was to roll with the punches.

Either MOS is fine I suppose. It'll be reserves, which is what I need right now. The wife is working towards her PhD and I'm trying to finish my B.S. while taking care of our son and holding down a job as an IT analyst.

Boot at the age of 27, again, doesn't sound like fun. But I'll have a few months to beat myself into shape, which I desperately need. So we'll see what's what soon enough.

Ingle
09-16-08, 11:07 AM
good luck, im 24 and leave in nov for boot

Jensen139
09-16-08, 11:32 AM
Seems like a great idea to me. What branch did u previously serve in, and why now are you choosing to be a Marine. I mean with a family and wanting to be a reservist I would think that the Army will pay you a lot more.

phantasm
09-16-08, 11:35 AM
Seems like a great idea to me. What branch did u previously serve in, and why now are you choosing to be a Marine. I mean with a family and wanting to be a reservist I would think that the Army will pay you a lot more.

Good questions. I previously served 3 yrs. active duty in the Navy and then 2yrs. in the ARNG as an 11B. The reason I decided to go back and try out for the Marine Corp. is because that's what I should've done the first time.

Nine years ago my mother talked me out of the Marine Corp. and I've been kicking myself for it ever since. Let's face it, I'm not getting any younger.

As for the financial issues, the military pays the same depending on paygrade. What incentives you get at the time of enlistment is different. if I asked most of the Marines I know, I'd be willing to bet that none of them did it for the money.

Jensen139
09-16-08, 05:40 PM
You are correct I was talking about the enlistment bonus's etc. I have heard though that the Army promotes faster? Wouldn't this in turn you would be paid more.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I'm under the impression that it's more hazardous being in the Marines?

UsmcMotorT
09-16-08, 07:05 PM
Good luck.

phantasm
09-16-08, 07:33 PM
You are correct I was talking about the enlistment bonus's etc. I have heard though that the Army promotes faster? Wouldn't this in turn you would be paid more.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I'm under the impression that it's more hazardous being in the Marines?

Promotions come as they may. The Army may promote faster, that's a possibility. I was told no enlistment bonuses at this time, and as far as the Marines being more hazardous than the other branches; well I figure it comes with the territory.

sparkie
09-16-08, 07:37 PM
OK,,,,, You can tell the grandkids you were an accountant, or a Marine,,,,,,Up to you.

phantasm
09-16-08, 08:18 PM
OK,,,,, You can tell the grandkids you were an accountant, or a Marine,,,,,,Up to you.

Just curious if this was targeted at me or not? As you put it, it is up to me what I do. I just figured this place had like minded people...

sparkie
09-16-08, 08:33 PM
Yes,,,,, We are Very like minded,,,,,Take it as you choose,,,, and ,,, good luck.

CHOPPER7199
09-16-08, 08:48 PM
Its The Title Marine, We Know Us Grunts Are Tuff, But Then We Need To Get Paid Now And Then Also. Ha Ha