PDA

View Full Version : Got a touch of history ...

mrmorency
09-16-08, 08:59 AM
Well, I talked with Air Force CMSGT William Basilone (ret.) for awhile. Over the course of our conversation I mentioned I was leaving for MRCD in Dec. and planned becoming a United States Marine. As it turns out, Mr. Basilone is the cousin of John Basilone!

For those of you who don't know of Gunnery Sergeant Basilone, he is a legendary Marine from WW2. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Guadalcanal, Purple Heart, and the Navy Cross (posthumously). He was also part of a distinguished 4 man Marine stamp collection among the likes of Chesty Puller, Dan Daly, and John Lejeune.

Long story short, we sat and talked for some time until he showed me his "memorial room". In this room, he has pieces of history I didn't think I would ever touch (most which he wouldn't let me). I'm talking pictures, uniforms, and other misc. items from Gunnery Sergeant's life time. It was kind of amazing that someone like myself would be able to see these things first hand. Especially in my little town.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys and gals, I was pretty excited.

yellowwing
09-16-08, 09:45 AM
You were very blessed, Morency! <br />
<br />
From MarinesWWII.com

mrmorency
09-16-08, 02:08 PM
Now THAT'S what I call a Marine!!!

mattlw201
09-16-08, 02:15 PM
You are very lucky.

CplKJSpevak
09-16-08, 02:27 PM
I bought a DVD about John Basilone from Sgt. Grit.......It was amazing to see the way he ran along the line of fire to get up close with the flamethrower, flush them out, then blow them japs away! And I'm glad to see a Poolee who recognizes that he was in the presence of some great stuff!

sparkie
09-16-08, 06:41 PM
You have something to remember,,,,,Congrats. I remember my dad taking me to an old folks home to meet a Civil War vet,,,,, I can't forget. That was about 1957.

mrmorency
09-16-08, 08:53 PM
Needless to say, it was pretty amazing.