PDA

View Full Version : Corpsmen Training?

RememberMorriso
09-16-08, 12:23 AM
Well when I enlisted I wanted to be a Doc, but just couldn't get over the idea of being in the Navy, no offense. But now after having spent so much time around docs I really appreciate their service and care for us. Anyways what is training like for Corpsmen? How long is it, how much weapons training do they get, and what are the requirements to be a corpsmen?

Semper Fi.

TJR1070
09-16-08, 08:26 AM
I think the requirements are to wear a blue suit and a cape under your cammies. God Bless our Corpsman!!

RememberMorriso
09-16-08, 12:49 PM
I think the requirements are to wear a blue suit and a cape under your cammies. God Bless our Corpsman!!
lol, true. I've been with some damn good corpsmen.

UsmcMotorT
09-16-08, 06:56 PM
I head 8404 school is pretty hard core. Ran by Marines and sailors. It's kinda like bootcamp all over again I hear.

Zulu 36
09-16-08, 08:16 PM
There are corpsmen on this site, but having been permanent personnel at Field Medical Service School, Camp Lejuene, I have a basic idea of their training.

After Navy boot camp, the student corpsmen attends their "A" school, also known as "Corps School." This is where they learn their basic functions as a general duty corpsman, A&P, first aid, etc. Afterward they may, or may not, attend some specialty schools such as lab tech, etc. Usually they have to get some time on the job first.

FMF corpsmen are either volunteers from the Navy corpsmen field, or for lack of a better term, "drafted" from there. Many are sent to Field Med straight from Corps School, some have a little time on the job. They attend Field Med School at either Pendleton or Lejuene. Upon graduation, they are qualified to serve with Marine Corps fleet units.

Field Med school is a paramedic school on steroids. Lots of PT to make sure the corpsman is up to USMC standards (yep, they have to pass the Navy and USMC PFT to graduate). The school is 8-weeks long (I think now). They learn infantry skills so they how to stay out of the way, but are only fammed on rifles and pistols. Probably 2/3 of the school is combat medicine. There is quite of bit of time spent in the field, lots of simulation exercises, etc.

Medical officers (MDs) and medical service corps (MSC) officers going to FMF units attend a shorter version of Field Med. Field Med also trains enlisted Navy Religious Program personnel to work in the FMF.

RememberMorriso
09-16-08, 08:23 PM
I was think of switching to the Navy as a Corpsmen after my next deployment. I have always wanted to be a Doc, but always wanted to be an 0311. I'm just going to drill every doc I see on the subject.