PDA

View Full Version : What to give to my Marine upon graduation?

LcplT
09-15-08, 11:46 PM
I figure a new cell phone. I found some good deals on some cool phones.. All real and good. But as a former Marine...the debate in my head is this: Should I buy my kid a brend new K-bar or hand the one down to him that I carried a lifetime ago? The tales this knife could tale if it could talk. The places we went together, no blood and guts stuff except the deer we skined together, and I did not shoot it, a friend did. We just needed a good sharp knife to do the job.....I had one. I always had one.... Anyway, enough head trippin. Tell me what you guys think is the best thing to do... Buy new or hand down the blade to my new Marine. I have untill Nov 21 to make up my mind, I would just like a few suggestions.

ScottsMom
09-16-08, 07:47 AM
I don't know what a K-bar is but a cell phone is a great idea. I like the fact that I can text my son, and not feel like I may get him into trouble if he is busy and it's an easy way to communicate with your Marine while they are away. Good luck to you!

jrhd97
09-16-08, 08:15 AM
I would go with the Ka-Bar. He can afford a cell phone, the plans aren't expensive. A real Ka-Bar can be a little pricey. While your at it get the Ka-Bar mule also. Excellent knife with a good grip.
Try these site, http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/kbar/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=3375301&sizefit=&keywords=ka-bar&index=&rank=&rh=a%3A3375301%2Ck&page=1

TJR1070
09-16-08, 08:24 AM
A cell phone is definately a good idea but I doubt he will be able to use it much in the next few months. Once he gets to his permanent duty station would be a better time to get him one. As for the K-Bar, being that we are Marines and pass down our traditions to the next generation of Warriors I think it would be an honor to recieve such a gift from any Marine. The fact that you are his father should make that gift even that more special, and think about the tours of duty that knife will now experience as it stays close to your son and protects him at the worst possible times, becomes a tool to open MRE packages and other things, and links one generation of Marines to the next.
Semper Fi!

OB MSG
09-16-08, 08:57 AM
K-bar all the way! I have two sitting on my wall from my units and I have plans for them to go to my son(s) when they are ready for them.

As TJR said, it will link the old generation to the new and that is always an honor.

ringoffire
09-16-08, 09:06 AM
Definately the K-bar...handed down from you...I think that would mean more to your son than you may think.

Wardey
09-16-08, 10:08 AM
Ka-Bar in a nice case. I did this and put his EGA he received after Crucible beside it. I also gave him a nice gold Marine Corps. watch and had it engraved with his graduation date. Dave

jrhd97
09-16-08, 10:17 AM
Ka-Bar in a nice case. I did this and put his EGA he received after Crucible beside it. I also gave him a nice gold Marine Corps. watch and had it engraved with his graduation date. Dave
I Like that, good idea :thumbup:

marinemama
09-16-08, 10:36 AM
Ka-Bar vote here as well. I bought my son's each one and bought a really nice case from Sgt Grit to put it in. I had it engraved in the blood groove for them. They loved it. Getting the one from you would be very special and sentimental as others had mentioned.

outlaw3179
09-16-08, 11:34 AM
Ka-Bar It will mean a whole lot more to him than some cell phone.

DevsDad
09-17-08, 10:14 AM
ScottsMom... I bet your son has one.

The K-bar would be so cool. I agree with the case idea also.. maybe add some engraving with your info and his?

LcplT
09-18-08, 11:22 PM
Ok thank you for your useful suggestions and advice...I actually went online and bought him 2 Ka-Bars.. one for a case which I'll set up like Mr. Wardley suggested and one he will be able to carry for his day to day use. I am still thinking of handing mine down to him.. But I sharpened both sides of the blade.. I'll still hand this down to him but I don't know the legal BS of him carrying a knife with both sides sharpened... In the day I was not worried about it, but in todays PC bulls@@@ world I don't want him getting in trouble. I just was looking at it last nite when the fact that is was a double edged blade hit me that he could get in trouble.

LcplT
09-18-08, 11:26 PM
By the way forgive me for not knowing..terms change over the years.....What is "EGA" that he will receive after Crucible??.. I'll add that to the engraving for the one in the case but I don't know what it means....LOL. Been gone way too long.. I guess.

LanceCriminal
09-18-08, 11:45 PM
By the way forgive me for not knowing..terms change over the years.....What is "EGA" that he will receive after Crucible??.. I'll add that to the engraving for the one in the case but I don't know what it means....LOL. Been gone way too long.. I guess.

It is the lazy way of saying Eagle Globe and Anchor.

And as it is if your son is going to live in the BEQ he could get in trouble for having any knife period. They tell you when you sign for your room any weapons have to be turned into the armory. They took two or three of my knifes from me until I just went and got a Leatherman. Ofcourse I was living in headquaters bn barracks so they were stupid with alot of the rules.

Osotogary
09-19-08, 12:25 AM
"...I sharpened both sides of the blade."

LcplT-
How were you able to get the other side of the blade sharpened? By machine or by hand honing using a stone? Just curious. Great idea. Great knives. There are a whole lot of "knock-off" Ka-Bars that some say are just as good as the original but having an original is special, especially if it was a gift or to be given as a gift.

LcplT
09-19-08, 01:19 AM
"...I sharpened both sides of the blade."

LcplT-
How were you able to get the other side of the blade sharpened? By machine or by hand honing using a stone? Just curious. Great idea. Great knives. There are a whole lot of "knock-off" Ka-Bars that some say are just as good as the original but having an original is special, especially if it was a gift or to be given as a gift.

I was at a truck stop outside of Boise Idaho the flying J or TA I cant remember.... They had a lady there that sharpened knives.. I handed it to her and she used a machine... I asked her to sharpen just the first 1 to 1.5 inches right at the tip. you can tell it is meant to be sharp, but it comes from factory dull and powder coated black.. once it is sharp though it really looks wicked. It is just a lot of states have laws reguarding double edged knives...I also had her sharpen my nice Benchmade special ops switchblade.... She got a kick out of it cuzz it is not legal anywhere except Arizona ..I think.

CplKJSpevak
09-19-08, 04:15 AM
How about a Harley?........You know, help him get around the base!

SGT VAS
09-19-08, 06:42 AM
My dad was a pilot in the Navy for 24 years and he said the one thing he loved the most about the Marines besides being the tip of the spear were those bad ass swords we carry in dress uniform. My dad bought me an NCO sword and told me when I earn this, I can have it. Hell of a lot of motiviation to pick up Corporal!!:beer:

sparkie
09-19-08, 06:58 AM
I think the K-bar is a great idea,,, I'll be doing that for my son. But not for a few years, when he has some rank, and maturity. He'll know more what it means then. For now, it will stay mine.
This brings up a problem,,,,,,,What do I get him??????Certainly not a cell phone,,, no lasting memory there.

ScottsMom
09-19-08, 11:37 AM
I think the K-bar is a great idea,,, I'll be doing that for my son. But not for a few years, when he has some rank, and maturity. He'll know more what it means then. For now, it will stay mine.
This brings up a problem,,,,,,,What do I get him??????Certainly not a cell phone,,, no lasting memory there.

Maybe a laptop he can take to his MOS? That is what we got our son and he loves it. We got a used one so it was not that expensive... Just a thought.

Would a K-Bar be a nice welcome home gift for when our son comes back from Afghanistan?

Wyoming
09-19-08, 06:58 PM
Maybe a laptop he can take to his MOS? That is what we got our son and he loves it. We got a used one so it was not that expensive... Just a thought.

Would a K-Bar be a nice welcome home gift for when our son comes back from Afghanistan?

Cell phones and laptop are goodies. They break.

K-Bar's are forever (engraved).

A trip to the 'House of the Rising Sun' would be memorable, but ....

Also, wouldn't it be nice to take and return a K-Bar on his deployment?

Mikewebe
09-19-08, 07:07 PM
Just an idea and I did not read all the posts, my grandparents took me to cash sales on Pendleton and bought my blues so I could go to my prom. I still have them.

mgkusmc
09-19-08, 08:36 PM
You get him whatever you feel is right, the Ka-Bar is a great idea, when I graduated my mom and my brother and his girlfriend and my aunt and uncle and my father and a bunch of other family were there, my father went and bought a six pack of Yeungling beer took two out handed me one and took the other one and looked at the rest of the family and said "I am taking my son and we are going to have a talk" my mom started to protest and make us stay so we all could enjoy ourselves and my dad looked at her and said "You dont understand, its one thing to have a beer with the family, it is entirely different for two military men to have a beer together and talk." My dad served 3 tours in Vietnam and there is no one I would rather have a beer with, that meant alot to me (also I was excited cause it was my first beer in 3 months and I still wasnt of legal age yet....I turn 21 this Oct. 5th)

LanceCriminal
09-19-08, 08:38 PM
You get him whatever you feel is right, the Ka-Bar is a great idea, when I graduated my mom and my brother and his girlfriend and my aunt and uncle and my father and a bunch of other family were there, my father went and bought a six pack of Yeungling beer took two out handed me one and took the other one and looked at the rest of the family and said "I am taking my son and we are going to have a talk" my mom started to protest and make us stay so we all could enjoy ourselves and my dad looked at her and said "You dont understand, its one thing to have a beer with the family, it is entirely different for two military men to have a beer together and talk." My dad served 3 tours in Vietnam and there is no one I would rather have a beer with, that meant alot to me (also I was excited cause it was my first beer in 3 months and I still wasnt of legal age yet....I turn 21 this Oct. 5th)

My dad and my grandfather did the same thing for me as soon as I got home, only with whiskey. It was a good night! It really did mean alot to me too.

LcplT
09-20-08, 12:39 AM
i have to say you guys are the best advisors any one can hope to have...Geat ideas and this means so much to me to hear, well just the heart felt devotion you guys have toward your sons who are comming into the same thing mine is....we know we were there once. The memories WILL last a lifetime. YOU wanna hear someting cool also???? My kid will have his blues by the tim he gets out of MOS training. He is getting married to his sweetheart, so I am gonna give those to him...i'll buy him a set. But for now he needs to concentrate on getting done with basic and I told him he needs to get done with MOS training b4 he starts planning a wedding....Keeps his mind on the task at hand.

LcplT
09-20-08, 12:43 AM

Yada yada yea that would be nice.....LOL I just barely got my 64 almost on the road.... Now the Harley will have to come from his own pocket.... There are some things DAD just will not be able to afford...LOL.

LcplT
09-20-08, 12:45 AM

I'll go back to boot just to get that.....LOL

LanceCriminal
09-20-08, 01:02 AM
i have to say you guys are the best advisors any one can hope to have...Geat ideas and this means so much to me to hear, well just the heart felt devotion you guys have toward your sons who are comming into the same thing mine is....we know we were there once. The memories WILL last a lifetime. YOU wanna hear someting cool also???? My kid will have his blues by the tim he gets out of MOS training. He is getting married to his sweetheart, so I am gonna give those to him...i'll buy him a set. But for now he needs to concentrate on getting done with basic and I told him he needs to get done with MOS training b4 he starts planning a wedding....Keeps his mind on the task at hand.

They started issuing blues in boot camp again. There were lots of rumors going around as to why, so I couldn't tell you exactly why. Either way you shouldn't have to worry about that.

CplKJSpevak
09-22-08, 03:26 PM
I'll go back to boot just to get that.....LOL

Did I say a Harley? Oh I'm sorry I meant a brand new pair of go-fasters to PT at his new duty station....:marine: That's what I meant by getting around base!......I don't know about the adoption thing Aaron, You might be a little too old;)

bucksgted
09-22-08, 04:12 PM
My Chris just graduated 9/12/08 at MCRDSD. When he finishes SOI, I plan to give him my 1956 vintage K-Bar. It stayed with me for my AD time, traveled all over the US on hunting trips and has waited patiently for the right time to be passed on. Near the handle, it is stamped USMC and has leather rings for a handle. Don't know if the newer ones are like that or not. It could use a new sheath, but I'll pass on the original one. He can do with it whatever "turns his crank".:D

bucksgted
09-22-08, 04:17 PM
Did I say a Harley? Oh I'm sorry I meant a brand new pair of go-fasters to PT at his new duty station....:marine: That's what I meant by getting around base!......I don't know about the adoption thing Aaron, You might be a little too old;)

My Chris also gets my Harley - - but not until I die!! ROTFLMAO I have the "skull dressed in Blues with the sword salute" painted on the fairing. Instead of "once a Marine always a Marine", I had " the change is forever" painted. Seemed more to my liking.:marine:

CplKJSpevak
09-22-08, 06:00 PM
My Chris just graduated 9/12/08 at MCRDSD. When he finishes SOI, I plan to give him my 1956 vintage K-Bar.

Wheww......I thought that was going to say "I plan to give him my 1956 Vintage Panhead!":marine:

bucksgted
09-22-08, 08:24 PM
Wheww......I thought that was going to say "I plan to give him my 1956 Vintage Panhead!":marine:

Don't I wish - - I had one!! It'd be worth more than my '03 Geezer Glide.

E5NAMKROW
09-22-08, 09:21 PM
K-bar And Wrist Watch

LcplT
09-24-08, 04:22 PM
Yea I love my kid but the 1964 Sporty Chopper I have been building for 4 years is gonna be just for my getting around town..... But a nice geezer glide would be good for the road trips that I usually have to haul mine to now... I have pictures up on my myspace page of my 4 year act of exaustion: '64 Ironhead...

mikysmom
09-27-08, 07:07 AM
we got my son a watch he weres it all the time i waited to get him a cell phone after he was done with MCT and at school they cant use it till then anyways

Wardey
09-27-08, 08:07 AM
I think a VRod would work also.:beer: My son can have mine when i'm 6 feet under...I don't need another worry. Dave

SGT7477
09-27-08, 08:43 AM
K-bar all the way.

ForeverMarine
09-27-08, 10:51 AM
Sgtgrits.com (I think that is the site), has alot of great stuff to buy for a Marine, or a Marine buying something for the family......

Corpspapa
09-28-08, 01:48 AM
I figure a new cell phone. I found some good deals on some cool phones.. All real and good. But as a former Marine...the debate in my head is this: Should I buy my kid a brend new K-bar or hand the one down to him that I carried a lifetime ago? The tales this knife could tale if it could talk. The places we went together, no blood and guts stuff except the deer we skined together, and I did not shoot it, a friend did. We just needed a good sharp knife to do the job.....I had one. I always had one.... Anyway, enough head trippin. Tell me what you guys think is the best thing to do... Buy new or hand down the blade to my new Marine. I have untill Nov 21 to make up my mind, I would just like a few suggestions.Although the gifts previously mentioned would be great.... may I suggest a more simpler gift idea? A personalized Marine Bible. Now, I'm not being a holy-roller here, but Faith is a matter most Marines consider at one time or another.

We went to a local religious store and found that they had military Bibles for all branches. Small enough to fit in the BFD pants pocket or pack, but not a miniature by any means.

We went on-line, and found one. Guiled pages, and aptly suited for every Marine. When ordering, we had our son's name embossed on the cover.

Son was very happy. Something he will keep forever.

jrhd97
09-28-08, 09:58 AM
Although the gifts previously mentioned would be great.... may I suggest a more simpler gift idea? A personalized Marine Bible. Now, I'm not being a holy-roller here, but Faith is a matter most Marines consider at one time or another.

We went to a local religious store and found that they had military Bibles for all branches. Small enough to fit in the BFD pants pocket or pack, but not a miniature by any means.

We went on-line, and found one. Guiled pages, and aptly suited for every Marine. When ordering, we had our son's name embossed on the cover.

Son was very happy. Something he will keep forever.
You can get a Marine Corps Bible from Christian Book Distributor and Life Way Christian Book Stores. It is published by Holman as the Holman Christian Standard Bible. It has a red cover with guilded pages. The Marine seal is in gold on the front cover.
It has the Marine Hymn, Corps values, The Marine Prayer, Jimmy Stewarts testimony, Captain Eddie Rickenbacker's prayer, The Code of Conduct, just to name a few of the things in it. It is about as long and as wide as my hand. Almost two fingers thick.

LcplT
09-29-08, 04:26 PM
Definantly a good thing to have. A good Bible is always a comfort to have and read. I actually have a good one for him...It has a stainless steel cover....Good for in the field wont get ripped up. It was given to me by a guy who gave testimony here at the local mission here in Redding.

Pattyq
11-03-08, 05:15 AM
At the Marine store they had a really nice K-bar with Parris Island insigna. As my son collected Knives I thought this would be a nice gift. When he opened it he was so happy. Like the look of a 4 year old on Christmas morning. He loved it.

Elias B
11-11-08, 08:40 PM
Give him your old K-bar, it would mean more to him than a cell phone or a new K-bar. Then go buy yourself a new K-bar, and save yourself a monthy cell phone bill, but hell what do I know (yes I know, not much).

Ee