PDA

View Full Version : What MOS?

chriso
09-15-08, 07:43 PM
Well Im stumped I have no idea on what MOS to pick. Im hoping to move up the chain maybe make it my life career. Is it easier to get promotions in different MOS's can you guys PLEASE explain how this works to me? I was thinking on infantry and eventually trying out for recon "Wich i know i wont make right of the bat" but i heard that you cant do much after infantry and right now if I joined as infantry I would just get sent to the sandbox by a friend who served in bahgdad.
Thanks guys.

Marine84
09-15-08, 08:03 PM
We're stumped too..................we don't know which one you should pick either. Why don't you search for the other 2,196 threads on this very subject.

chriso
09-15-08, 08:34 PM
Sorry I didn't think there would be any other threads on this exact matter with the same exact questions as I have..................

jrhd97
09-15-08, 08:37 PM
Sorry I didn't think there would be any other threads on this exact matter with the same exact questions as I have..................
In all those threads you will be able to piece together your answer.

chriso
09-15-08, 11:20 PM
Well Im thinking on going 0311 My recruiter told me that basically after training for my MOS I most likely will be deployed to iraq about a 70 percent chance because of my MOS is this true? I just want to know if im getting a bunch of b***$***from my recruiter or what actual probabilities are?

RememberMorriso
09-15-08, 11:43 PM
Well Im thinking on going 0311 My recruiter told me that basically after training for my MOS I most likely will be deployed to iraq about a 70 percent chance because of my MOS is this true? I just want to know if im getting a bunch of b***$***from my recruiter or what actual probabilities are?
We are at war. Why the **** would an 0311 not be deployed asap. After ITB (Infantry Training Battalion) all the new 03xxs get sent to units about to deploy (pre workups). I went to Iraq 3 weeks after ITB. so yes your ass is going to Iraq.

chriso
09-16-08, 06:58 PM
Sorry i was just asking I didn't know if my recruiter was was just feeding me bull. If you go military police can you request to get a secondary 8541 MOS? Is military police work typically done on base or what? That is one thing i am confused on.

chriso
09-16-08, 07:10 PM
I know it will take time i don't plan on going in and being a sniper Im just wondering what my options are outside of going infantry and recon to get a 8541 MOS.

CHOPPER7199
09-16-08, 08:34 PM
I'm just an old grunt here but still can read alittle. 1st off is your test scores I believe, then if theres openings in the m.o.s. field, let alone you have to earn the title. Am I close people?

chriso
09-16-08, 10:27 PM
I know I will have to earn it and I am willing to give it my all. If I go into the MP MOS is there any way to do 0311 later on? Or is there no turning back?
Thanks for all the replies.

chriso
09-17-08, 06:52 PM
Anything?

rvillac2
09-17-08, 07:21 PM
You will not be able to lateral into 0311. It's an entry level MOS.
You may transfer into a grunt unit and do some grunt duties, but you can do that as an MP, too.

What did you think 8541 is? I don't see it on my list.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 07:31 PM
First you need to go 03, you may not be an 11. And 8541 is no longer. As a grunt your civilian emplyment will be limited somewhat as Grunts aren't hired to go out and kill dirtbags here in the states. Pick a trade that you can work in once your out. Heavy equipment MP Cook get me.....

chriso
09-17-08, 07:53 PM
yeah a friend of mine who is a army mp said police departments don't usually hire mp's . I thought scout sniper was 8541 unless they changed it? So i could never go back and do a 03 if i decide to be a MP anyone here a MP? If so what's it like? highly deployable?

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 07:57 PM
8541 I believe is 0317 now. Yes Mp's are highly deployable. And some PD's are reluctant to hire MP's as a result of them tending to harrass civilians for things that aren't illegal off of base. But As a Marine Infantryman I was very desirable to LASD who hired me and CDCR who hired me 7 years later.

But my buddy as a cook landed an 80,000 a year job at a hotel ordering and managing their kitchen. Just all depends

chriso
09-17-08, 08:09 PM
Hmmm Such a hard decision to make. I want to be able to attend a 0317 school eventually if possible but to do so I basically need to be in the 03 field or go recon. Is there a list where i can look at different MOS's and descriptions. I feel as if my recruiter is hassling me so I would like to look it over with no pressure.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 08:15 PM
To be a sniper it would be in your best interest to be an 03 which you can guarantee, you can have any job such as mortarman and go to Sniper school if you qualify. Your best bet would to start learning now. Maj. John Plaster has some good stuff out. Read study read some more. PT is crucial in school so make sure your in shape. And I don't know you but intelligence is very important, so keep in mind if your weak in areas and can't improve such as math, like me which is why I brought it up don't bother too hard. I always wanted to go to school but I'm a history and English type person. Math eludes me.

chriso
09-17-08, 08:40 PM
Yeah Im already extremely familiar with ballistics,wind values,mirage since i shoot long range silhouette and have been doing so for years. Where can i find this other information you mentioned at?
thanks a lot you have been a big help!

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 09:31 PM
I believe Paladin press is the company that makes the videos. There is a decent Sniper site out that I have looked at but can't remember it. Sorry. Oh and if you find a good Sniper site that has a similar set up as this tread lightly. They will eat you up. There are a few books out. on some outstanding Snipers including a few female ones from WW2 its all there just look for it.

chriso
09-17-08, 09:40 PM
Oh I am not by any means saying i am good enough to be a marine scout sniper I am just saying that I am extremely familiar with ballistics as a result of shooting long range competition since i was about 14.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 09:44 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you weren't just be careful of your steps, its a small community and they are tight.

chriso
09-17-08, 10:41 PM
Oh yes I understand. So is there some type of list of MOS's I can view online? i keep searching but cant find much.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 10:54 PM
I will keep looking and I did find one a few weeks ago but haven't bothered to look at it since. I will help you as much as I can

chriso
09-17-08, 11:00 PM
Hey thanks a lot I really appreciate it.

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 11:06 PM
No problem. I and a lot others on here want only the best, here seems a good place to start prepping them;)

See ya tomorrow maybe. take care.

rvillac2
09-17-08, 11:31 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

chriso
09-18-08, 12:01 AM
Thanks, You take care as well.