PDA

View Full Version : Memorial to fallen Marine draws outpouring of support

thedrifter
09-15-08, 08:45 AM
Memorial to fallen Marine draws outpouring of support
By Kathy Slovik | Daily Herald Columnist
Published: 9/15/2008 12:24 AM

The memory of fallen Marine Capt. Eric D. Terhune lives on in the hearts of those who knew him.

A memorial at the home of the Wheaton family who grew to love him like a son continues to draw visitors. As the summer comes to an end, and the flowers bloom around the site, prayers are said silently. Mementos are discreetly left beneath the stark black iron silhouette of a Marine resting at the foot of the cross - a perfect tribute to the young man whose host mother described as a "Christian Soldier." For families like the Zeiglers who have lost loved ones to the war, the slow healing begins.

"Flowers are still being left. Some people just drive by, stopping for a moment of silence," said Shirley Zeigler, a physical education teacher in Glen Ellyn Elementary District 89. "We've had some people come to the door to give their condolences," she added.

Shirley and Jim Zeigler came to know Eric when their son David was a freshman at Wheaton Academy in West Chicago. One day David brought Eric, who was from Lexington, Ky., home for dinner. There was an instant bond with the family.

"I remember Dave saying, 'Mom, can we keep him?'" said Shirley, and the Zeiglers became his host family for the four years he attended high school. "We loved him as a son and a brother."

Eric was not only a friend, but a role model for the three Zeigler boys, Dave, Stuart and Paul.

"He always was a leader," she added.

In the summer of 1991, he was also a hero. Eric and Dave, who had become the best of friends, embarked on a canoe trip to the Canadian wilderness. They were a three-day hike away from civilization when David severed an artery in his leg.

"It was a very severe injury," she said. "Eric attended to the wound, applied pressure and bandaged it, and literally carried him on his back. Eric managed to get both of them back safely. That was remarkable for a high-school kid."

Eric was very fit and an athlete. Besides being on the Wheaton Academy track team, he was a wrestler. He also helped Zeigler in her job as a District 89 physical education teacher. During those years in the early '90s, he became a familiar face at Westfield Elementary School in Glen Ellyn.

"He used to come every spring and fall and help me with physical fitness tests," added Shirley." He came with his brothers. He would encourage the kids."

Although not a Scout himself, Eric assisted David and Stuart with their Eagle Scout projects for their troop.

After Eric graduated from Wheaton Academy and joined the Marines, the Zeiglers kept in touch and visited him after basic training and graduation.

"I heard from Eric about once every three months," said Shirley.

Eric became known fondly as D-ring by his fellow soldiers and brought out the good in everyone. Two years ago, children at Westfield Elementary School in Glen Ellyn collected bags of school supplies to be distributed in Afghanistan. Last year, Eric helped an effort to provide bowling lanes for the soldiers' recreation and to introduce the sport to the villagers.

Eric served two tours of duty in Iraq and then volunteered for Afghanistan.

"All I know is that he volunteered for that third tour. He was done serving. But he was single, he had no wife, no children," she said. "June 2nd was my last e-mail from him."

Eric alluded to the danger he lived with every day in Afghanistan.

"He just said that it was no place to take a vacation," she said. "He said, 'Don't pack your suitcases too soon - you don't want to come here.'"

Marine Captain Eric D. Terhune was hit by ground fire in Afghanistan's Farah province on June 19, and he was killed along with another man, Lance Cpl. Andrew Francis Whitacre, of Bryant, Ind.

At first, the Zeiglers were too heartbroken to act on the news.

"I could barely discuss Eric," she said, but placing Eric's name on the memorial has been cathartic for the Zeiglers.

The black cast-iron figure was originally placed in the yard two years ago to honor all soldiers, including Eric and the Zeigler's son Stuart, who is also in the military. But after Eric' name appeared, the Zeiglers have seen the site become almost a pilgrimage for some.

"People have dropped off flags, flowers, angels," she said. "It brings the war home."

Ellie