View Full Version : Senate Candidate Warner Tours Marine Corps Museum

thedrifter
09-15-08, 08:21 AM
Senate Candidate Warner Tours Marine Corps Museum
Ex-Governor Hears Plans for Expansion

By Jennifer Buske
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, September 14, 2008; PW04

U.S. Senate candidate Mark R. Warner (D) stopped at the National Museum of the Marine Corps on Friday for a tour and briefing from museum officials about their plans to expand the facility.

"I've been here a number of times, but I wanted to see what the next stage will look like," Warner said. "I think this museum represents an important part of our history."

The $90 million museum opened in November 2006, about a year after Warner's term as governor ended. Warner helped get appropriations for the project and watched the facility be built.

"I remember when they were first planning the museum," said Warner, who is facing another former governor, James S. Gilmore III (R), for the seat of retiring Sen. John W. Warner (R-Va.) in the Nov. 4 election. "I've seen it from being just an idea to where we are now. I think what's been great is they have been able to get it open and operational and still leave room for the next phase."

Warner said he also has a special affinity for the museum because his father, Robert Warner, served in the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II.

"On the opening day, I brought my dad here," Warner said during his tour. "He was very excited. He was one of those Marines who never wanted to talk about it, and now that's all he wants to do."

Museum officials discussed expansion plans as Warner toured -- and took part in -- interactive exhibits.

"Look, I passed," he said at one exhibit after shooting a mock M16A2 rifle.

In January, the museum will convert existing space into three new galleries, said Raymond Hord, vice president of development for the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation. The new galleries will cover the period from 1775 through World War I.

Officials are also working to complete the remainder of the museum. The 80,000-square-foot expansion will include galleries, classrooms, a large-screen theater, artist studios and performance space. The foundation has raised $11 million of the $85 million needed to complete the project, Hord said. Construction will begin when all funding is available.

Another project at the museum will begin next month. Jennifer Vanderveld, vice president of marketing for the heritage foundation, said a nondenominational chapel will be constructed in Semper Fidelis Memorial Park. The $5 million project is being funded by retired Marine Timothy Day, who operates Bar-S, a meat-processing company. The chapel is set to open in fall 2009, Vanderveld said.

Ellie