View Full Version : MCAS rocks for the CW

thedrifter
09-14-08, 08:06 AM
MCAS rocks for the CW
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
September 14, 2008 - 12:30AM
AMANDA HICKEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Area military will get the Hollywood treatment next week.

Bethany Joy Galeotti featuring Enation, Kate Voegele and Angels & Airwaves will hit the New River Air Station's outdoor stage for a performance free to military and civilian Department of Defense cardholders and their sponsored guests, according to a press release from New River Air Station. The performance, which is being brought to New River Air Station by the CW's "One Tree Hill," will be taped for the show.

"It's going to be an amazing show," Staff Sgt. A.C. Mink with New River Public Affairs said Thursday. "We're hoping to get as many of the service members and their family members out here as possible. They've expressed their gratitude to the troops so much and we want to show we appreciate it."

News of the show, Mink said, has also been provided to Fort Bragg and Norfolk.

The CW, however, is not the only entity involved in making the concert possible.

New River Air Station Public Affairs, the USO of North Carolina and Marine Corps Community Services also played a role.

"It takes a lot of people to do something like this and both of those entities which are historically entities that take care of service members - MCCS and USO - have jumped in with both feet to help us out and make this a great event," Mink said.

The opportunity, USO Executive Director Harold Rowland said, will give area troops a chance to show the United States just what Onslow County's Marines are about.

"I thought it was a great opportunity to offset all the negative things that have been portrayed about Onslow County and the military," Rowland said, explaining that having two Marines receive national attention for allegedly murdering female service members did not portray Onslow County and the Marine Corps favorably. "This will be an opportunity for the national media to see what Onslow County and their military are really all about."

The show will also allow service members, like Mink, an opportunity to enjoy an evening out.

"I'm really excited. My children like this band and I like this band and it's something that because it has everything from 'One Tree Hill' to Angels & Airwaves to Kate (Voegele) that plays quieter music, it hits such a huge demographic that I think everyone who comes will find something they enjoy," Mink said.

The concert will begin at 8 p.m. with gates opening at 6 p.m.

Guests age 17 or older will be required to have Department of Defense ID, and all vehicles are subject to search, according to the press release.

Alcohol and weapons are prohibited, as are coolers, picnic baskets, duffle bags, briefcases, camera bags, fanny packs and animals. Cameras and video cameras are also not allowed.

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow County reporter Amanda Hickey at 910-219-8461. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

Ellie