PDA

View Full Version : TMO storage for a vehicle...need advice

Achped
09-13-08, 11:21 PM
Well for our deployment we're going to be putting our vehicles pretty much in a grass field for 7 months.

I know some of you have done this, what are some tips for keeping the vehicle in good condition?

Pete0331
09-14-08, 03:03 AM
Will you be given time to PM the vehicles? Or will they be under lock and key the majority of the time?

Brewer0311
09-14-08, 06:49 AM
Buy a car cover and some gas stabilizer. The week before you put it in change the oil and wax it. Anything else that could happen, other than a hurricane or tornado, can be fixed with your deployment cash.

Pete0331
09-14-08, 07:35 AM
Disregard my last post.

Empty out as much of the gas as possible, and disconnect the battery.
Is there someone that will be able to periodically check in on it?
I have seen many cars broken into on TMO lots.

Achped
09-14-08, 11:00 AM
No, no one will be able to check on it.

That would be retarded to break into it, they make sure nothing at all is inside, I'm even taking my radio out.

yellowwing
09-14-08, 11:11 AM
A car cover would be an excellent investment. A squid friend of mine said he came back from a cruise to a car that was caked in pelican and seagull crap. :sick:

Achped
09-14-08, 12:27 PM
The car cover bothers me however because of how windy it is, with the wind rubbing that cover against my paint for 7 months who knows what it would look like.

Brewer0311
09-14-08, 02:31 PM
Probably cost more without the cover on it. 7 months of Hawaii heat, rain, wind, sand, and etc. Your car and your cash though.

thewookie
09-14-08, 03:08 PM
The car cover bothers me however because of how windy it is, with the wind rubbing that cover against my paint for 7 months who knows what it would look like.

The inside of a half-decent car cover or the back-side is lined with a cotton like material, it's meant to slosh around.

TMO ruins cars -- or just sitting there ruins them.

I'd get the car cover and make sure it's secured down good, lot's of theft on those TMO lots and if you leave it easy for them, well, you made it easy.

BR34
09-14-08, 03:42 PM
Just put it in personal storage. It's like 80 bucks a month and it's climate controlled. Then throw in some fuel stabilizer and some lime around the wheels to keep the mice out, and voila.

Quinbo
09-14-08, 04:20 PM
I stored a friend of mine's pick up when he went on deployment. Once a week for the entire 6 months I started it up and drove it around the block then parked it. When he got back it was the same as when he left it. I had a vehicle stored by TMO and they monthly started it and let it idle for a half hour. When I got back from deployment I jumped in it and drove away. Even if there is a lien on the vehicle you can modify your insurance to the lowest possible level while you are away. Whoever is holding the note on the vehicle and the insurance company need to know. I'm trying to remember if there are any self storage units in Hawaii. I can't think of any but that might be an option. I'm think there are some on Sand Island big enough to hold a car. In closing your car will not be trashed and rot away while you are deployed if you store it with TMO.

SGT7477
09-14-08, 05:56 PM
Just put it in personal storage. It's like 80 bucks a month and it's climate controlled. Then throw in some fuel stabilizer and some lime around the wheels to keep the mice out, and voila.

Dryer sheets will keep mice away also just put them inside.:evilgrin:

BR34
09-14-08, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't recommend starting it up unless there's someone around to drive it.

As soon as your car is started condensation will form. Driving the car around for long enough will delete the condensation. Starting it then killing it in 20 minutes won't do any good. You're better off just letting it sit there for the 6 months without running.

SlingerDun
09-14-08, 07:19 PM
Lash the cover down with extra grommets and string!
If i were to use lime as a "repellent" i'd shake it over the entire parking space and wet the ground first so it don't blow off so quick.

Lizards, snakes in Hawaii? no big deal.......ground rodents! Those little sh*ts find access to the chassis by jumping or anyway they can and probe or chew holes to the interior where they could be met for all their efforts with a foul rodent repellent sold at many RV stores. But if they made it that far they have already caused damage. Some like to chew cables and pungent plastic and rubbers for trace minerals and enjoy the smell of anti-freeze, surely rats hydrating on coolant should die off but once again the damage is done. Repellent placed under the hood is advisable for a passenger vehicle parked in a field.

--->Dave

BR34
09-14-08, 08:44 PM
I used a bunch of bungee cords from Walmart this winter to keep my cover from blowing off my GTO. Worked for 2 or 3 months without damaging my ORANGE paint!