PDA

View Full Version : Draft Question

bstewar09
09-13-08, 12:48 PM
So in my government class we were talking about the selective service and draft. Anyway, it kind of brought up a question in my mind that the teacher had no idea about since he was pretty young during the Vietnam War and he wasn't really sure how a modern draft would work. But my question was if for some reason the **** really hit the fan with Russia or some other power, since I am in the DEP could they in theory just say "Ok Ben, you graduated from High School, and we need bodies badly, your going to Bootcamp right now!"

Don't get me wrong, I look forward to the oppurtunity I've been given to serve my country, this is more of a "what if" question.

-ABen

mattlw201
09-13-08, 01:02 PM
If you look at your contract you are in the Ready Reserves. You can be called up at any time during an emergency.

Iseethelight
09-13-08, 03:03 PM
*cough* If you go to the SS website you would find out that if you are 18 you are technically fair game. Regardless of you being DEP'd if '**** hit the fan' you could be called upon, it is the debt you might have to pay for living in the best nation on the face of the earth. It won't happen though, so don't get your panties in a wad.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-08, 03:11 PM
If you're in the DEP your ship date may get moved up a little, but it wouldn't be a huge deal. If the draft started tomorrow it would take some time to get things ramped up for the large number of new recruits to start showing up at the boot camps. The Navy and Marine Corps would probably take even longer due to their limited number of locations for entry level training.

But, once they got things in place you could well get a call that told you that you'd be leaving very quickly. Since you're in the DEP anyway it shouldn't too big of a deal.

bstewar09
09-13-08, 03:40 PM
, so don't get your panties in a wad.

Its not like I would try to get out of my obligation. I know what I signed up for, I was just asking out of curiosity.

BR34
09-13-08, 04:05 PM
If you look at your contract you are in the Ready Reserves. You can be called up at any time during an emergency.

Inactive Ready Reserves. Yes, that one word makes a difference.

Zulu 36
09-13-08, 08:16 PM
Its not like I would try to get out of my obligation. I know what I signed up for, I was just asking out of curiosity.

It's cool, and a fair question. You're enlisted in the Corps and untouchable in a draft unless the Corps released you from DEP.

When I entered DEP (Jan71), I was 17. I didn't have to register for the draft when I turned 18 because I was already enlisted, although I didn't ship for boot camp until July 1st. I had my DEP orders and that sufficed for a draft card.

I do not know if they changed the law on that when they reinstituted draft registration. You would know that one better than I.

DGardner
09-13-08, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I had to show proof of registration before I could ship out. Seems odd... but I guess they want it that way.

Pete0331
09-13-08, 09:42 PM
Inactive Ready Reserves. Yes, that one word makes a difference.

Not much, you can still be called up.

mattlw201
09-13-08, 10:17 PM
Not much, you can still be called up.

I thought it was basically the same thing.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-08, 10:35 PM
There is the IRR and the SMCR. The later is what you think of when you think about reservists.

Whether you enter the military or not, you are required to register with selective service. After you get out and are in the IRR you have to be registered. The only time you are exempt is when you are actually serving in the military.

Zulu 36
09-14-08, 08:23 AM
There is the IRR and the SMCR. The later is what you think of when you think about reservists.

Whether you enter the military or not, you are required to register with selective service. After you get out and are in the IRR you have to be registered. The only time you are exempt is when you are actually serving in the military.

OK, then they changed the law since my time. But I do know that as long as you are committed in any manner to a military branch, DEP, IRR, SMCR, active, whatever, you can't be drafted since you're already in. You could be called back up into the Corps from IRR, but not into another branch.

I did know a couple of Marines who got draft notices while they were in DEP or in the Corps. Great hilarity ensued, of course. Those problems were taken care of by a letter from the RSS commanding officer, or their unit commander.

Regardless, once your service obligation is over (8-years now), you're untouchable by a draft - unless they change the law (most unlikely due to the political backlash).

What I do understand of the current process is the Marine Corps is supposed to notify Selective Service of your enlistment status when you join and when you get out - why and under what circumstances.

sparkie
09-14-08, 09:21 AM
Guess I wasn't a draft dodger after all,,,,,Was in boot at 17 and never signed up.
Funny story, when I was at what you call meps, all draftees were lined up. Someone walked down the row counting 1, 2, 3, 4, Marine. Got some strange looks in that line,,LOL.