PDA

View Full Version : Petty but not sure.

jetdoc
09-13-08, 09:54 AM
Does it matter if its, U.S. Marines or US Marines? I am having a decal made up and I am not sure if it should be one way or the other or it it matters notta. It looks weird when I write it down as U.S. Marines on the websites decal builder.

Just wondering.

AL49BGN
09-13-08, 09:58 AM
Jetdoc the proper term is U.S. Marines however you are right that US Marines probably will come out better sorry I couldn't help you any better.

Wyoming
09-13-08, 10:15 AM
Jetdoc the proper term is U.S. Marines however you are right that US Marines probably will come out better sorry I couldn't help you any better.

Agree!

jetdoc
09-13-08, 10:48 AM
Thats ok, I appreciate any help and opinions Al and Big Al. I know its not a big deal either way.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-08, 10:52 AM
U.S. Marines may be "more" correct, but I wouldn't worry about it. I know when I write or type I use US, whether I'm talking about the Marine Corps or not.

tripledog
09-13-08, 10:56 AM
According to the higher educated and elistest of the United States, the proper way would be U.S. Marines. But I still think you can do what the hell you want.

Osotogary
09-14-08, 12:46 AM
Does it matter if its, U.S. Marines or US Marines? I am having a decal made up and I am not sure if it should be one way or the other or it it matters notta. It looks weird when I write it down as U.S. Marines on the websites decal builder.

Jetdoc,
I have attached a decal that was given to me at the neighbohood United States Marine Corps Recruiting Office. As you can see there is placed a period after each of the upper case letters U and S. being that those letters represent the abbreviation for the words United States. The decal that I have attached would have to be an officially approved design and, I would think, the answer to your question, "U.S. Marines or US Marines?"
All the best to you, jetdoc, on your design. I would like to see it when it is done.
Adios, for now.
Gary

CplKJSpevak
09-14-08, 06:57 AM
I would think it depends on the design, is it official like the above decal? or more like a Devil Dog foaming at the mouth? .........If you decal is going to be a "professional official" decal I would use the periods.....If not trust your eye and judgement.

Osotogary
09-14-08, 11:23 PM
CplKJSpevak-
You can still use periods for both the U and S letters, incorporating them into the letters themselves. The letter U can have the word United placed within the font and the word States placed within the letter S thereby eliminating the need to use periods.
You are right about the design and the purpose of that design. I hope the jetdoc lets us see what he's creating. I know that it will be good.
Adios, for now.

CplKJSpevak
09-15-08, 03:21 PM
CplKJSpevak-

I hope the jetdoc lets us see what he's creating. I know that it will be good.

He's probably designing some kind of tattoo:marine:

RLeon
09-16-08, 03:34 PM
Notice all the military gear never use the periods in US. Also some those USMC t-shirts are sans periods. Name tapes got them.

I don't think it really matters unless you're using US in a formal way like for documents and letters.