PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo entrance question

JDeF
09-13-08, 08:46 AM
I am in the process of having a tattoo on my thigh finished up, and I was curious as to learn whether or not it would be too big for entrance into the Marines, or if I would need to apply for a waiver for it.

It is a celtic knot, just a little bit bigger around than a coke can by a quarter of an inch, and it is midway down the front of my thigh sitting on top of my quadricep muscle.

It is a religious knot, built around a small cross.

I attempted to search but I could not for the life of me get the image verification code, every time I refreshed the box showed up blank. I attempted to save it to look at it in a different viewer, however it would not work, and aparrently the name of the file has nothing to do with the code contained within. (Not worrying about help with that part, just explaining why I cannot search this forum to find information on tattoo policy.)

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out whether or not this tattoo will hold me back when attempting to join the Marine Corps? I already checked out the formal tattoo policy and it only seems to contain information on the definition whole, half, and quarter sleeve tattoos, and their prohibition pertaining to Marines currently enlisted. Would the policy be the same for new recruits and individuals in DEP programs (as I would like to be in several months)?

JDeF
09-13-08, 09:11 AM
I did not realize that I should visit the poolee forum, as I have not taken that step yet. I made a mistake and I believe I have corrected it properly after instruction.

JDeF
09-13-08, 09:31 AM
I hate to keep replying to my own thread, but it seems my edit buttons have disappeared. I believe that I answered my own question relating to the tattoos within the policy with Question 7 and Answer 7 within the new policy.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/PAGES/Tattoo%20FAQ.pdf (for reference, this .pdf contains the changes to the existing policy and further explanation of it)

My question now is just whether or not this tattoo will give me grief, and if the current policy applies to recruits and DEP members.

I hope I don't seem like some kind of smart-mouth, I just want to be exact when I display information and ask my questions exactly so as to avoid confusion later on.

I like to go the extra mile whenever possible.

rvillac2
09-13-08, 10:19 AM
The policy does apply to new recruits. From your description, it does not sound like you'll be automatically disqualified, but you'll definitely need a waiver. If the recruiter or MEPS believes that it may be gang/criminal related, you'll need to go through a background check as well.

JDeF
09-13-08, 11:28 AM
Understood, it is definately not gang related or anything, and I don't have anything to hide, so I can handle whatever comes my way.

I appreciate the help, thankyou.

Scottie0417
09-16-08, 01:10 AM
I enlisted in February with a tattoo on my right forearm, clearly visible in PT gear. All I needed was a waiver which I got without a problem. I have no idea how some of the recruits at the Depot got in with some of the tattoos they had though.

SupChf
09-16-08, 08:07 AM
New policy came out a short time ago...any tattoo that extends below the arms on a t-shirt and below the shorts (PT uniform) is subject to waiver. It isn't like it use to be where as long as if it isn't gang related or offensive (naked chicks, rebel flag, etc...) it is an automatic waiver.

The Marine Corps is really clamping down on tat's. Sleeves (on arms or legs) are not allowed and a waiver will not be granted. The more that shows, the more likely it is that you will not get a waiver....

Gunz out ~

JDeF
09-16-08, 08:23 AM
I have a completely un-related question now. <br />
<br />
What does the issue shaving kit consist of? Just a basic one blade disposable and foam or what? <br />
<br />
Also, I think I should revise the original post, I...

Scottie0417
09-16-08, 10:40 PM
JDef- The shaving kit is pretty decent...Mach 3 Fusion shave sticks with gillette shave cream...a good idea is to stock up on shave sticks and razors on visitor's Thursday, they're a heck of a lot cheaper at the PX than at the pharmacy or wal mart or anywhere else

JDeF
09-17-08, 08:19 AM
Not bad not bad, I was worried about maybe disposable Bics and Barbasol foam, lol.