PDA

View Full Version : Lost but not forgotten

thedrifter
09-13-08, 06:37 AM
Lost but not forgotten

Ceremony remembers America’s missing and dead
By Brian Livingston

blivingston@themeridianstar.com

A day after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, a 71-year old retired U.S. Army corporal walked into a recruiting station in Alabama and again offered his services to his country.

"My wife told me I was an idiot," a chuckling Newton James Duke said Thursday morning. "But I wanted to offer all my experience to my nation because I was mad at what happened."

The seven recruiters respectfully declined Duke's request figuring the former combat infantryman who was a POW for more than two years during the Korean War had done his fair share for his country. So Duke of Birmingham, Ala., and a native of Aberdeen left this war to the young men and women in today's armed services.

Duke was the featured speaker for the NAS Meridian POW-MIA/9-11 Remembrance Ceremony. Organizers said by combining the two events, it provided a great way to say thank you to those who have served in defense our great nation, and to renew our commitment and promise to never forget our POWs, MIAs, those who lost their lives on 9-11 and the heroic actions of the responders trying to save lives that day.

"For the previous generation their defining moment was the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor," said Capt. Charles Gibson, commander of NAS Meridian. "For my generation that moment came on Sept. 11, 2001."

Following prayers to the victims and families of those impacted by 9-11, U.S. Marine and Navy personnel conducted the POW/MIA Table Ceremony. The intricate and precise homage to those taken prisoner and those still listed as missing in action was a moving tribute to those men and women ... lost but not forgotten. Following the tribute, Duke told the crowd his story.

Duke, a rifleman with I Company, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, was taken prisoner May 18, 1951 after a three-day battle against Chinese and North Korean forces. He served as a POW for more than two years in POW Camp #3 in Ch'ongsonjin, North Korea, and was released on August 13, 1953, when he crossed over Freedom Bridge at Panmunjom to South Korea and awaiting U.S. forces.

Duke told the crowd gathered underneath Hanger 1 and with a backdrop of blue skies with scattered puffy clouds the Chinese learned a good lesson when they went up against the Americans.

"They found out that when they knocked us down we got right back up," Duke said. "That's how I made it through two years of captivity."

With the echoes of a bagpipe rendition of "Amazing Grace" still fresh in their ears, attendees watched as a 21-gun salute sounded followed by a flyover of a lone T-45 Goshawk from Training Air Wing One.

Afterward, Duke stayed shaking hands with veterans of past wars and meeting young men and women in uniform today.

"I'm so proud of our young people today," Duke said looking at the Marines and Navy seamen. "They are carrying on the fighting spirit and legacy of America."

Ellie